Dr Paz-Ferreiro's research is broadly concerned with waste management and its recycling into the soil system. Recently his research is concerned with biochar, a pyrolysis product, which can provide environmental benefits including carbon sequestration, improving soil quality and the remediation of polluted areas.
He is interested in organic and inorganic pollutants and their effect on soil biological activity.
A patent was issued to him in 2012 covering a method of 'agglomerating carbonaceous materials, involving mixing carbonaceous material with sunflower oil' (Patent ES-2 372 951).
A publication listing is available on Google Scholar.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Environmental) (Honours)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Editorial Board Member, Soil and Tillage Research
- Member of the Soil Science Society of America
- Member of the Spanish Society of Soil Science
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
- Haris, M.,Netherway, P.,Eshtiaghi, N.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2023). Arsenic immobilization in soil affected by mining waste using waste-derived functional hydrochar and iron-encapsulated materials In: Journal of Environmental Quality, 52, 161 - 172
- Hakeem, I.,Halder, P.,Aktar, S.,Hedayatimarzbali, M.,Sharma, A.,Surapaneni, A.,Short, G.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Shah, K. (2023). Investigations into the closed-loop hydrometallurgical process for heavy metals removal and recovery from biosolids via mild acid pre-treatment In: Hydrometallurgy, 218, 1 - 14
- Rathnayake, N.,Patel, S.,Hakeem, I.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Sharma, A.,Gupta, R.,Rees, C.,Bergmann, D.,Blackbeard, J.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2023). Co-pyrolysis of biosolids with lignocellulosic biomass: Effect of feedstock on product yield and composition In: Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 173, 75 - 87
- Cardenas-Aguiar, E.,Mendez, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Sohi, S. (2023). Thermal analysis of aged chars obtained by pyrolysis and hydrothermal carbonisation of manure wastes In: Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 148, 7395 - 7401
- Hakeem, I.,Halder, P.,Patel, S.,Sharma, A.,Gupta, R.,Surapaneni, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Shah, K. (2023). Enhancing the pyrolytic conversion of biosolids to value-added products via mild acid pre-treatment In: Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 173, 1 - 1
- Cárdenas-Aguiar, E.,Gasco, G.,Lado, M.,Mendez, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Paz Gonzalez, A. (2023). New insights into the production, characterization and potential uses of vineyard pruning waste biochars In: Waste Management, 171, 452 - 462
- Aktar, S.,Hossain, A.,Rathnayake, N.,Patel, S.,Gasco, G.,Shah, K.,Paz-Ferreiro, J., et al, . (2022). Effects of temperature and carrier gas on physico-chemical properties of biochar derived from biosolids In: Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 164, 1 - 11
- Burbano, A.,Gascó, G.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Méndez, A. (2022). Catalytic Activity of Carbon Materials in the Oxidation of Minerals In: Catalysts, 12, 1 - 15
- Haris, M.,Zavabeti, A.,Khan, M.,Murdoch, B.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mahmood, N.,Eshtiaghi, N. (2022). Carbon encapsulated iron oxide for simultaneous Fenton degradation and adsorption of cationic and anionic dyes from water In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 10, 1 - 10
- de Figueiredo, C.,Fachini, J.,Silva de Araujo, A.,Chagas, J.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2022). Sewage Sludge Biochar In: Handbook of Waste Biorefinery, Springer Nature Switzerland AG, Cham, Switzerland
4 PhD Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
- Functionalised Biosolids Derived Biochar: Diversifying Feedstocks and Developing Multi-Use Biochar. Funded by: Intelligent Water Networks from (2022 to 2024)
- Single Particle Elemental Analysis – Imaging Mass Cytometer Facility (administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: ARC LIEF via other University from (2020 to 2022)
- Integrated water management through the application of advanced wastewater treatments (Research Exchange with the Universidad Estuado de Maringa). Funded by: Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions - Competitive from (2018 to 2019)
- Landscape modelling, remote sensing, nutrient management, tools for precision agriculture and grape quality: Grant number 255899413. Funded by: Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Priming Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Converting solid waste from abbatoirs into Hydrochar. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)