Dr Paz-Ferreiro's research is broadly concerned with waste management and its recycling into the soil system. Recently his research is concerned with biochar, a pyrolysis product, which can provide environmental benefits including carbon sequestration, improving soil quality and the remediation of polluted areas.
He is interested in organic and inorganic pollutants and their effect on soil biological activity.
A patent was issued to him in 2012 covering a method of 'agglomerating carbonaceous materials, involving mixing carbonaceous material with sunflower oil' (Patent ES-2 372 951).
A publication listing is available on Google Scholar.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Environmental) (Honours)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Editorial Board Member, Soil and Tillage Research
- Member of the Soil Science Society of America
- Member of the Spanish Society of Soil Science
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
- Cárdenas-Aguiar, E.,Méndez, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Gascó, G. (2022). The Effects of Rabbit Manure-Derived Biochar on Soil Health and Quality Attributes of Two Mine Tailings In: Sustainability (Switzerland), 14, 1 - 13
- Kundu, S.,Pramanik, B.,Halder, P.,Patel, S.,Ramezani, D.,Khairul Azhar, M.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Crosher, S.,Short, G.,Surapaneni, A.,Bergmann, D.,Shah, K. (2022). Source and central level recovery of nutrients from urine and wastewater: A state-of-art on nutrients mapping and potential technological solutions In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 10, 1 - 24
- Hakeem, I.,Halder, P.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Patel, S.,Rathnayake, N.,Surapaneni, A.,Short, G.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Shah, K. (2022). Mild sulphuric acid pre-treatment for metals removal from biosolids and the fate of metals in the treated biosolids derived biochar In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 10, 1 - 14
- Rathnayake, N.,Patel, S.,Halder, P.,Aktar, S.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Sharma, A.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2022). Co-pyrolysis of biosolids with alum sludge: Effect of temperature and mixing ratio on product properties In: Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 163, 1 - 12
- Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Saberi, A.,Halder, P.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Dasappa, S.,Shah, K. (2022). Mechanistic and kinetic study of the hydrothermal treatment of paunch waste In: Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 177, 541 - 553
- Widhiastuti, F.,Fan, L.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Chiang, K. (2022). Oxidative treatment of bisphenol A by Fe(VI) and Fe(VI)/H2O2 and identification of the degradation products In: Environmental Technology & Innovation, 28, 1 - 14
- Haris, M.,Khan, M.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mahmood, N.,Eshtiaghi, N. (2022). Synthesis of functional hydrochar from olive waste for simultaneous removal of azo and non-azo dyes from water In: Chemical Engineering Journal Advances, 9, 1 - 10
- Alvarez, M.,Rodríguez-Pacheco, R.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Gasco Guerrero, G.,Mendez, A. (2022). Recovery of Metals from Mine Wastes: The Effect of Biochar–Fe Composites in the Immobilization of Arsenic In: Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy, 8, 419 - 429
- Widhiastuti, F.,Fan, L.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Chiang, K. (2022). Oxidative degradation of bisphenol A in municipal wastewater reverse osmosis concentrate (ROC) using ferrate(VI)/hydrogen peroxide In: Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 163, 58 - 67
- Hakeem, I.,Halder, P.,Dike, C.,Chiang, K.,Sharma, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Shah, K. (2022). Advances in biosolids pyrolysis: Roles of pre-treatments, catalysts, and co-feeding on products distribution and high-value chemical production In: Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 166, 1 - 29
4 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
- Functionalised Biosolids Derived Biochar: Diversifying Feedstocks and Developing Multi-Use Biochar. Funded by: Circular Economy Catalyst Funding for Water Sector from (2022 to 2023)
- Integrated water management through the application of advanced wastewater treatments (Research Exchange with the Universidad Estuado de Maringa). Funded by: Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions - Competitive from (2018 to 2019)
- Landscape modelling, remote sensing, nutrient management, tools for precision agriculture and grape quality: Grant number 255899413. Funded by: Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Priming Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Converting solid waste from abbatoirs into Hydrochar. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)