Dr Tom Penney is an experienced educator, artist and researcher in the Bachelor of Design (Digital Media) Program.
His practice involves real-time 3D environments, virtual and augmented reality, games technology and digital design.
Tom is an expert in digital studio education and practice-based research committed to integrating industry, practice and scholarship in the studio and beyond.
He was previously the Industry Fellow of Digital Media, introducing industry-focused and work-integrated initiatives to the studio environment.
His work has been published in journals, books and conferences including Media International Australia, The Feminist Journal of Art and Digital Culture, The International Journal of Contemporary Humanities, The Routledge Companion to Digital Ethnography, The Philosophy of Computer Games Conference, and the International Symposium of Electronic Art.
His artwork has shown in venues that include Westspace Gallery, Utopian Slumps (Slopes Projects), The Newport Substation, The Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, Federation Square and Laznia Arts Centre.
His most recent research project "Critical Affection" investigated an expanded notion of "critical play" and affect through digital contemporary art practice. Much of this drew on a series of artworks that critically represented online dating apps. Narcissism, affection-images, intimacy and the consumption of bodies-as-objects through such apps were critiqued through Tom's use of subversive caricature and presentation of virtual, manipulable bodies in interactive works.
Tom previously worked as a project manager and artist at Metaverse Makeovers, an augmented reality fashion company, as well as teaching art and design at Curtin and Monash Universities.
- Digital art / 3D art / interactive art / internet art / post-internet art
- Queer theory / identity politics / online dating / sexuality / performativity / affect / affection
- Play theory and games / art games / alt games / online gaming
- Cultural subversion / jokes / caricature / humour / critical distance
- Social media, internet and digital media criticism in general
- Practice based and practice-led research
- Lecturer in Digital Media
- Course Co-ordinator
- Year Level Co-ordinator
- Higher Degrees by Research Supervisor (Masters, PhD)
- Honours Supervisor
- Diploma of Creative Arts (Game Design)
- Bachelor of Arts (Art) (Honours First Class)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Media and Communication)
- Penney, T.,Mueller, F. (2018). Playing the subject In: Playful Disruption of Digital Media, Springer Nature , Gateway East, Singapore
- Penney, T.,Rothnie, C. (2017). In Death In: In Death Melbourne, Australia
- Penney, T. (2017). @scobierobie In: New Photography Perth, Australia
- Penney, T. (2016). Digital face-ism and micro-fascism In: The Official: International Journal of Contemporary Humanities, 1, 1 - 16
- Penney, T. (2014). Bodies under glass: Gay dating apps and the affect-image In: Media International Australia Incorporating Culture and Policy: quarterly journal of media research and resources, 153, 107 - 117
- Penney, T. (2014). "Gay Under Glass", "TinderFlick", "Tough Guy / Big Red X", "A Handsome Man" In: Radicalism Melbourne, Australia
- Penney, T. (2014). "G-Net", "Selfie" and "Museum" In: Tabularium Melbourne, Australia
2 PhD Current Supervisions