Jing Qi is a Lecturer at RMIT University in the School of Global, Urban and Social Sciences.
Jing Qi's interdisciplinary research orientation is broadly concerned with internationalisation of education. Jing draws together research experience in multilingual, sociological, cultural and technological studies to bring an innovative perspective to educational research. She has worked for fifteen years in universities in Australia and China, designing and delivering teaching in the disciplinary areas of education and languages. She has also acted as an educational consultant to universities and schools in Australia and internationally.
Jing has published in areas including transnational education, sociology of education and education equality, language education, doctoral education, teacher education, and blended and mobile learning. Her book, Knowledge Hierarchies in Transnational Education, was published in 2015 by Routledge. Currently Jing is working with colleagues on a research project to develop transcultural research supervision pedagogies, which position doctoral research candidates as intellectual agents of transcultural and multilingual knowledge co-construction.
- Lecturer and Course Coordinator
- Program manager of RMIT Community Languages Schools Teacher Education Program
- Member of the Migration, Mobility and Social Diversity Research Program
- Member of the Language, Culture and Discourse Research Program
- 2014 PhD Western Sydney University
- 2015 MTeach Western Sydney University
- 2010 TMFL, Beijing Language and Culture University
- 2006 MA, Northeast Normal University
- 2003 BA, Northeast Normal University
Jing has worked with industry partners including the NSW Office of Preventive Health, NSW Connect Child and Family Services, Microsoft, Ningbo Education Bureau in China, Department of Education in Fujian Province, NSW Department of Education, International Baccalaureate Organisation, and NSW Lomandra School through multiple research and teaching projects.
Industry-based Research Experience
- 2015-2019 Reimagining Intercultural Research Education: Life Histories and Epistemological Contributions of the Colombo Plans.
- 2018 Transnational Teacher Professional Learning Program for School Teachers from Fujian, China
- 2016-17 Microsoft Surface Evaluation Project (The Use of Surface for Innovative and Collaborative Learning)
- 2015 Capturing and Assessing Experiential Learning: Understanding Teaching and Learning in a Behaviroually Challenging Context.
- 2013-14 A Comparative Study of International Mindedness in the IB Diploma Programmes in Australia, China and India.
- 2013 Research Evaluation of Blended Learning across the University of Western Sydney
- 2013 Conceptualising and Assessing International Mindedness: An Exploratory Study.
- 2011-2013 Transnational Knowledge Exchange in International Education.
- 2014 Healthy Supported Playgroups in NSW Australia.
- 2012 Learner, Teacher and Content Interactions Online: Cross-institutional, Multi-disciplinary Distance Education.
- Manathunga, C.,Qi, J.,Bunda, T.,Singh, M. (2019). In Press - Time mapping: charting transcultural and First Nations histories and geographies in doctoral education In: Discourse, , 1 - 19
- Qi, J.,Manathunga, C.,Singh, M.,Bunda, T. (2019). Micro histories of intercultural knowledge exchange: Tao Xingzhi�s educational poetry In: History of Education Review, 48, 2 - 14
- Bunda, T.,Qi, J.,Manathunga, C.,Singh, M. (2017). Enhancing the Australian Doctoral Experience: Locating Culture and Identity at the Centre In: Student Culture and Identity in Higher Education, Information Science Reference, Hershey, United States
- Sriprakash, A.,Qi, J.,Singh, M. (2017). The uses of equality in an elite school in India: enterprise and merit In: British Journal of Sociology of Education, 38, 1022 - 1036
- Lloyd, B.,Buffett, K.,Innes-Hughes, C.,Jackson, D.,Qi, J.,Powell, L. (2017). Supported playgroups for health promotion activity for healthy eating and active living: A social ecological perspective In: Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 42, 116 - 121
- Qi, J.,Woodrow, C. (2016). Super-epistemic Diversity: Intersectional Interplay of Educational Knowledge in Programa Futuro Infantil Hoy In: Super Dimensions in Globalisation and Education, Springer, Singapore
- Singh, M.,Manathunga, C.,Bunda, T.,Qi, J. (2016). Mobilising indigenous and Non-Western theoretic-linguistic knowledge in doctoral education In: Knowledge Cultures, 4, 56 - 70
- Qi, J. (2015). Knowledge hierarchies in transnational education: staging dissensus, Routledge, New York, United States
- Lee, C.,Qi, J.,Rooney, P. (2015). Capturing and Assessing the Experience of Experiential Learning: Understanding Teaching and Learning in a Behaviourally Challenging Context In: Lomandra School NSW Penrith, Australia
- Sriprakash, A.,Singh, M.,Qi, J. (2014). A comparative study of international mindedness in the IB Diploma Programme in Australia, China and India In: International Baccalaureate Organisation The Hague
2 PhD Current Supervisions
- Invitation to International (Workshop and) Conference Revisiting Forces and Forms of Doctoral Education Worldwide. Funded by: VolkswagenStiftung Travel Scholarship from (2019 to 2019)
- Building Australia-China research capabilities for intercultural knowledge collaboration (administered by University of the Sunshine Coast). Funded by: Australia China Council from (2018 to 2020)