As an automotive engineer you’ll have the opportunity to design and build all types of vehicles from trucks to racing cars.
What is automotive engineering?
Automotive engineering is a specialised branch of mechanical engineering and focuses on the design, manufacture and operation of engines, cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles or off-road vehicles.
What do automotive engineers do?
- Design new products or modify existing ones.
- Troubleshoot and solve engineering problems.
- Plan and design manufacturing processes.
- Use computer simulations for testing safety.
- Invent and apply new technologies to existing designs.
- Research solutions to engineering problems.
Where do automotive engineers work?
- Major vehicle manufacturing companies of cars, trucks, buses, tractors, trains and military vehicles
- Racing organisations
- Parts manufacturers.
What type of person do I need to be?
A career in automotive engineering may be for you, if you:
- Like the idea of creating and shaping new technologies in transport and mobility
- Enjoy making things better, cleaner and more efficient
- Enjoy computing and technical design
- Enjoy subjects like maths and physics.