Associate Professor Benu Adhikari’s research interests cover various aspects of food engineering and processing.
Food engineering: Research in this theme cover physical and engineering properties of foods and how these properties change with industrially prevailing processing conditions. For example, how the rheological, thermal and mass transfer characteristics change due to temperature, pressure and humidity and mechanical stresses.
Food emulsions: This theme covers simple o/w, w/o emulsions and also complex emulsions such as o/w/o and w/o/w. The interfacial behaviour of many surface active agents such as proteins, low molecular weight surfactants at oil-water and water-air interface are investigated to considerable detail. The stability of emulsions of both micro and nano emulsions are also investigated.
Micro/nano encapsulation: This theme includes encapsulation of oxygen and heat sensitive food ingredients and microbes especially in protein, carbohydrate and protein- carbohydrate complexes. Current research projects include microencapsulation of chia seed oil and flaxseed oil in chia seed protein-chia seed gum complex coacervates and flaxseed protein-flaxseed gum complex coacervates, respectively.
Biodegradable packaging: This theme covers development of novel biodegradable packaging from starch, cellulose and derivatives and starch-polyurethene composites. The major thrust of research is creating hydrophobicity in these packaging materials.
Food powders/food drying: This theme covers particle formation process of many food components including proteins, gums and sugars. Current research project include production of lactoferrin and other protein powders using spray drying. Studies on production and characterisation of nanoparticles/powders also fall under this theme.
Structure-function in foods (food proteins and carbohydrates): This theme includes investigations of structure-function-process interrelationships of major food compounds such as proteins, gums, gels, emulsions. Texture analysis and rheological studies fall under this theme."
Assistant Editor – Drying Technology: An International Journal ( Taylor and Francis)
- Visiting Professor: Jiangnan University, Wuxi, China.
- Adjunct Professor: Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
- Oli, P.,Adhikari, B.,Pallas, L.,Ward, R.,Torley, P. (2019). Parboiling of Rice In: Advances in Science & Engineering of Rice, DEStech Publications, Inc., Pennsylvania, United States
- Wang, J.,Zhang, M.,Gao, Z.,Adhikari, B. (2018). (In Press) Smart storage technologies applied to fresh foods: A review In: Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, , 1 - 12
- Dandeniyage, L.,Gunatillake, P.,Adhikari, R.,Bown, M.,Shanks, R.,Adhikari, B. (2018). Development of high strength siloxane poly(urethane-urea) elastomers based on linked macrodiols for heart valve application In: Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 106, 1712 - 1720
- Wang, B.,Timilsena, Y.,Blanch, E.,Adhikari, B. (2018). (In Press) Lactoferrin: structure, function, denaturation and digestion In: Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, , 1 - 60
- Eratte, D.,Dowling, K.,Barrow, C.,Adhikari, B. (2018). Recent advances in the microencapsulation of omega-3 oil and probiotic bacteria through complex coacervation: A review In: Trends in Food Science and Technology, 71, 121 - 131
- Xu, J.,Zhang, M.,Adhikari, B. (2018). Comparative study on the effect of radio frequency and high-pressure pasteurization on the texture, water distribution, and rheological properties of Nostoc sphaeroides In: Journal of Applied Phycology, 30, 1041 - 1048
- Wang, X.,He, Z.,Zeng, M.,Qin, F.,Adhikari, B.,Chen, J. (2017). Effects of the size and content of protein aggregates on the rheological and structural properties of soy protein isolate emulsion gels induced by CaSO<inf>4</inf> In: Food Chemistry, 221, 130 - 138
- Kaushik, P.,Dowling, K.,Adhikari, R.,Barrow, C.,Adhikari, B. (2017). Effect of extraction temperature on composition, structure and functional properties of flaxseed gum In: Food Chemistry, 215, 333 - 340
- Bi, C.,Li, D.,Wang, L.,Adhikari, B. (2017). Effect of LBG on the gel properties of acid-induced SPI gels In: LWT - Food Science and Technology, 75, 1 - 8
- Wang, B.,Blanch, E.,Barrow, C.,Adhikari, B. (2017). Preparation and study of digestion behavior of lactoferrin-sodium alginate complex coacervates In: Journal of Functional Foods, 37, 97 - 106
- Development of Shelf-Stable Almond Powder. Funded by: Select Harvests Food and Products Limited from (2018 to 2019)
- Novel enzymatic processing methods and stabilization technologies for omega-3 oils� (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via Other University Grant 2014 from (2015 to 2018)
13 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions3 PhD Completions