Associate Professor Benu Adhikari’s research interests cover various aspects of food engineering and processing.
Food engineering: Research in this theme cover physical and engineering properties of foods and how these properties change with industrially prevailing processing conditions. For example, how the rheological, thermal and mass transfer characteristics change due to temperature, pressure and humidity and mechanical stresses.
Food emulsions: This theme covers simple o/w, w/o emulsions and also complex emulsions such as o/w/o and w/o/w. The interfacial behaviour of many surface active agents such as proteins, low molecular weight surfactants at oil-water and water-air interface are investigated to considerable detail. The stability of emulsions of both micro and nano emulsions are also investigated.
Micro/nano encapsulation: This theme includes encapsulation of oxygen and heat sensitive food ingredients and microbes especially in protein, carbohydrate and protein- carbohydrate complexes. Current research projects include microencapsulation of chia seed oil and flaxseed oil in chia seed protein-chia seed gum complex coacervates and flaxseed protein-flaxseed gum complex coacervates, respectively.
Biodegradable packaging: This theme covers development of novel biodegradable packaging from starch, cellulose and derivatives and starch-polyurethene composites. The major thrust of research is creating hydrophobicity in these packaging materials.
Food powders/food drying: This theme covers particle formation process of many food components including proteins, gums and sugars. Current research project include production of lactoferrin and other protein powders using spray drying. Studies on production and characterisation of nanoparticles/powders also fall under this theme.
Structure-function in foods (food proteins and carbohydrates): This theme includes investigations of structure-function-process interrelationships of major food compounds such as proteins, gums, gels, emulsions. Texture analysis and rheological studies fall under this theme."
Assistant Editor – Drying Technology: An International Journal ( Taylor and Francis)
- Visiting Professor: Jiangnan University, Wuxi, China.
- Adjunct Professor: Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
- Xu, J.,Zhang, M.,Cao, P.,Adhikari, B. (2021). Pasteurization of flavored shredded pork using Zno nanoparticles combined with radio frequency pasteurization technology In: Journal of Food Science and Technology, 58, 216 - 222
- Pematilleke, N.,Kaur, M.,Carleen, T.,Adhikari, B.,Torley, P. (2021). Effect of the addition of hydrocolloids on beef texture: Targeted to the needs of people with dysphagia In: Food Hydrocolloids, 113, 1 - 7
- Saxena, J.,Adhikari, B.,Brkljaca, R.,Huppertz, T.,Zisu, B.,Chandrapala, J. (2021). Influence of lactose pre-crystallization on the storage stability of infant formula powder containing lactose and maltodextrin In: FOOD HYDROCOLLOIDS, 111, 1 - 8
- Saxena, J.,Adhikari, B.,Brkljaca, R.,Huppertz, T.,Zisu, B.,Chandrapala, J. (2021). Effect of compositional variation on physico-chemical and structural changes in infant formula during storage In: International Dairy Journal, 116, 1 - 8
- Abdul-Latif, R.,Stupans, I.,Allahham, A.,Adhikari, B.,Thrimawithana, T. (2021). (In Press) Natural antioxidants in the management of Parkinson's disease: Review of evidence from cell line and animal models In: Journal of Integrative Medicine, , 1 - 11
- Saxena, J.,Adhikari, B.,Brkljaca, R.,Huppertz, T.,Zisu, B.,Chandrapala, J. (2021). Influence of Lactose on the Physicochemical Properties and Stability of Infant Formula Powders: A Review In: Food Reviews International, , 1 - 15
- Phosanam, A.,Chandrapala, J.,Huppertz, T.,Adhikari, B.,Zisu, B. (2020). Effect of storage conditions on physicochemical and microstructural properties of skim and whole milk powders In: Powder Technology, 372, 394 - 403
- Singh, M.,Thrimawithana, T.,Shukla, R.,Adhikari, B. (2020). Managing Obesity through Natural Polyphenols: A Review In: Future Foods: a dedicated journal for sustainability in food science, 1-2, 1 - 50
- Phosanam, A.,Chandrapala, J.,Huppertz, T.,Adhikari, B.,Zisu, B. (2020). Changes in physicochemical and surface characteristics in milk protein powders during storage In: Drying Technology, , 1 - 16
- Masum, A.,Chandrapala, J.,Huppertz, T.,Adhikari, B.,Zisu, B. (2020). Production and characterization of infant milk formula powders: A review In: Drying Technology, , 1 - 7
14 PhD Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Production of eicosapentaenoic acid-rich omega-3 oil from thraustochytrids. Funded by: DIIS - Innovations Connections - Competitive from (2020 to 2021)
- Development of a co-microencapsulation system for probiotics to enhance its viability during the shelf life and in-vitro digestion. Funded by: NU-MEGA Ingredients Pty Ltd - competitive from (2019 to 2020)
- Development of Shelf-Stable Almond Powder. Funded by: Select Harvests Food and Products Limited from (2018 to 2019)
- Novel enzymatic processing methods and stabilization technologies for omega-3 oils (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via Other University Grant 2014 from (2015 to 2018)