Associate Professor Benu Adhikari’s research interests cover various aspects of food engineering and processing.
Food engineering: Research in this theme cover physical and engineering properties of foods and how these properties change with industrially prevailing processing conditions. For example, how the rheological, thermal and mass transfer characteristics change due to temperature, pressure and humidity and mechanical stresses.
Food emulsions: This theme covers simple o/w, w/o emulsions and also complex emulsions such as o/w/o and w/o/w. The interfacial behaviour of many surface active agents such as proteins, low molecular weight surfactants at oil-water and water-air interface are investigated to considerable detail. The stability of emulsions of both micro and nano emulsions are also investigated.
Micro/nano encapsulation: This theme includes encapsulation of oxygen and heat sensitive food ingredients and microbes especially in protein, carbohydrate and protein- carbohydrate complexes. Current research projects include microencapsulation of chia seed oil and flaxseed oil in chia seed protein-chia seed gum complex coacervates and flaxseed protein-flaxseed gum complex coacervates, respectively.
Biodegradable packaging: This theme covers development of novel biodegradable packaging from starch, cellulose and derivatives and starch-polyurethene composites. The major thrust of research is creating hydrophobicity in these packaging materials.
Food powders/food drying: This theme covers particle formation process of many food components including proteins, gums and sugars. Current research project include production of lactoferrin and other protein powders using spray drying. Studies on production and characterisation of nanoparticles/powders also fall under this theme.
Structure-function in foods (food proteins and carbohydrates): This theme includes investigations of structure-function-process interrelationships of major food compounds such as proteins, gums, gels, emulsions. Texture analysis and rheological studies fall under this theme."
Assistant Editor – Drying Technology: An International Journal ( Taylor and Francis)
- Visiting Professor: Jiangnan University, Wuxi, China.
- Adjunct Professor: Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
- Wang, J.,Zhang, M.,Gao, Z.,Adhikari, B. (2019). Smart storage technologies applied to fresh foods: A review In: Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 58, 2689 - 2699
- Wang, B.,Timilsena, Y.,Blanch, E.,Adhikari, B. (2019). Lactoferrin: structure, function, denaturation and digestion In: Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 59, 580 - 596
- Oli, P.,Adhikari, B.,Pallas, L.,Ward, R.,Torley, P. (2019). Parboiling of Rice In: Advances in Science & Engineering of Rice, DEStech Publications, Inc., Pennsylvania, United States
- Dandeniyage, L.,Adhikari, R.,Brown, M.,Shanks, R.,Adhikari, B.,Gunatillake, P. (2019). Hard segment composition, morphology, tensile properties and biostability of linked-macrodiol based siloxane poly(urethane urea) In: Materials Today Communications, 18, 110 - 118
- Timilsena, Y.,Vongsvivut, J.,Tobin, M.,Adhikari, R.,Barrow, C.,Adhikari, B. (2019). Investigation of oil distribution in spray-dried chia seed oil microcapsules using synchrotron-FTIR microspectroscopy In: Food Chemistry, 275, 457 - 466
- Gunatillake, P.,Dandeniyage, L.,Adhikari, R.,Bown, M.,Shanks, R.,Adhikari, B. (2019). Advancements in the Development of Biostable Polyurethanes In: Polymer Reviews, , 1 - 1
- Dandeniyage, L.,Adhikari, R.,Bown, M.,Shanks, R.,Adhikari, B.,Easton, C.,Gengenbach, T.,Cookson, D.,Gunatillake, P. (2019). Morphology and surface properties of high strength siloxane poly(urethane-urea)s developed for heart valve application In: Journal of Biomedical Materials Research - Part B Applied Biomaterials, 107, 112 - 121
- Masum, A.,Chandrapala, J.,Adhikari, B.,Huppertz, T.,Zisu, B. (2019). Effect of lactose-to-maltodextrin ratio on emulsion stability and physicochemical properties of spray-dried infant milk formula powders In: Journal of Food Engineering, 254, 34 - 41
- Al Faruq, A.,Zhang, M.,Adhikari, B. (2019). A novel vacuum frying technology of apple slices combined with ultrasound and microwave In: Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 52, 522 - 529
- Saxena, J.,Adhikari, B.,Brkljaca, R.,Huppertz, T.,Chandrapala, J.,Zisu, B. (2019). Physicochemical properties and surface composition of infant formula powders In: Food Chemistry, 297, 1 - 9
- Development of a co-microencapsulation system for probiotics to enhance its viability during the shelf life and in-vitro digestion. Funded by: NU-MEGA Ingredients Pty Ltd - competitive from (2019 to 2020)
- Development of Shelf-Stable Almond Powder. Funded by: Select Harvests Food and Products Limited from (2018 to 2019)
- Novel enzymatic processing methods and stabilization technologies for omega-3 oils� (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via Other University Grant 2014 from (2015 to 2018)
10 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions