Dr Suraiyah Akbar completed her PhD from RMIT University in the area of social and environmental accounting and reporting. Her research interests include corporate social responsibility and accountability, social governance, and social sustainability issues.
Suraiyah has taught undergraduate and postgraduate level courses in Financial Accounting Theory, Management Accounting and Business, and Accounting for Management Decisions.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Accountancy), RMIT University, Australia
- Master of Professional Business Studies (Accounting), Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- Master of Commerce (Accounting), Dhaka University, Bangladesh
- Bachelor of Commerce, Honours (Accounting), Dhaka University, Bangladesh
- Akbar, S.,Ahsan, K. (2020). (In Press) Investigation of the challenges of implementing social sustainability initiatives: a case study of the apparel industry In: Social Responsibility Journal, , 1 - 24
- Subramaniam, N.,Mori Junior, R.,Akbar, S.,Ji, H.,Situ, H. (2020). SDG MEASUREMENT AND DISCLOSURE 2.0 A study of ASX150 companies In: United Nations Association of Australia Melbourne, Australia
- Akbar, S.,Deegan, C. (2020). (In Press) Analysis of corporate social disclosures of the apparel industry following crisis: an institutional approach In: Accounting and Finance, , 1 - 39
- Akbar, S.,Ahsan, K. (2019). Workplace safety compliance implementation challenges in apparel supplier firms In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 232, 462 - 473
- Akbar, S. (2019). Linking Frugal Innovation and Sustainable Development: Leveraging Corporate Accountability Mechanisms In: Frugal Innovation: A Global Research Companion, Routledge, London, UK
- Subramaniam, N.,Mori Junior, R.,Akbar, S.,Ji, H.,Situ, H. (2019). SDG Measurement and Disclosure by ASX150 In: Global Compact Network Australia Melbourne, Australia
- Akbar, S.,Ahsan, K. (2014). Analysis of corporate social disclosure practices of Australian retail firms In: International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting, 6, 375 - 396
Corporate Social Responsibility, Social governance, Corporate social disclosure practices, Human rights and social issues
- SDG Governance in Australian Firms: Developing an Innovative SDG Reporting Framework. Funded by: CPA Australia Global Research Perspectives Program 2018 onwards from (2020 to 2021)