Dr Brian Coffey is a Vice-Chancellor's Research Fellow in the Centre for Urban Research at RMIT University.
Brian's research centres on public policy and governance (particularly as they relate to sustainability) and science-policy relations. He is particularly interested in exploring how issues are conceptualised in policy processes, and the implications this has for how they are addressed.
Brian's research during his Vice-Chancellor's fellowship will focus on enhancing social scientific understandings of state-level policy and public management frameworks and their potential for transforming governance in ways that are more ecologically sustainable and socially just.
Brian has taught a range of undergraduate and graduate courses focusing on public policy, environmental politics and policy, and environmental economics.
Brian completed his PhD in Policy Studies at the University of Queensland in 2010. In this he drew on the theory and methods of Critical Discourse Analysis to examine how the discourses of neoliberalism and ecological modernisation influenced sustainability policy making, using Victoria, Australia as a case study.
Brian's teaching responsibilities centre on policy studies.
He is currently responsible for Environmental Policy (ENVI1127) and Policy Practice (Environment and Planning) (ENVI1050).
Brian was awarded his PhD (Policy Studies) by the University of Queensland in 2010.
He also has undergraduate and graduate degrees from Griffith University (B. Sci. Australian Environmental Studies), University of New England (Grad Dip. Resource Economics), and RMIT University (M. Soc. Sci. (Environmental Policy).
- McShane, I.,Coffey, B. (2022). Rethinking community hubs: community facilities as critical infrastructure In: Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 54, 1 - 6
- Manwaring, R.,Holloway, J.,Coffey, B. (2020). Engaging industry in curriculum design and delivery in public policy teaching: A strategic framework In: Teaching Public Administration, 38, 46 - 62
- Browne, J.,Coffey, B.,Cook, K.,Meiklejohn, S.,Palermo, C. (2020). A guide to policy analysis as a research method In: Health Promotion International, 34, 1032 - 1044
- Coffey, B.,Bush, J.,Mumaw, L.,De Kleyn, L.,Furlong, C.,Cretney, R. (2020). Towards good governance of urban greening: insights from four initiatives in Melbourne, Australia In: Australian Geographer, 51, 189 - 204
- Bush, J.,Coffey, B.,Fastenrath, S. (2020). Governing urban greening at a metropolitan scale: an analysis of the Living Melbourne strategy In: Australian Planner, 56, 95 - 102
- Coffey, B. (2019). Towards good environmental governance? Assessing the evolution of Victoria's environment portfolio In: Department of Parliamentary Servcies Melbourne, Australia
- Leith, P.,O'Toole, K.,Haward, M.,Coffey, B. (2017). Enhancing science impact: bridging research, policy and practice for sustainability, CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia
- Moloney, S.,Bosomworth, K.,Coffey, B. (2017). 'Transitions in the making': The role of regional boundary organisations in mobilising sustainability transitions under a changing climate In: Urban Sustainability Transitions, Springer, Singapore
- Bosomworth, K.,Cooke, B.,Coffey, B. (2017). Living in uncertain landscapes: an NRM lens on the implication of climate change for regional futures In: Australiasian Journal of Regional Studies, 23, 344 - 357
- Doyon, A.,Coffey, B.,Moloney, S.,de Haan, F.,Bosomworth, K. (2017). Exploring the contribution of Transitions Management to inform regional futures In: Australasian Journal of Regional Studies, 23, 321 - 343
1 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions