Dr David Oswald
Position: Senior Lecturer Construction
College / Portfolio: Design and Social Context
School / Department: DSC|School of PCPM
Campus: City Campus
Contact me about: Research supervision
Dr. Oswald is a Senior Lecturer and Deputy Program Manager in the School of Property, Construction and Project Management.
Dr. Oswald undertakes high-quality research within the construction industry and built environment. He has published over 30 peer-reviewed papers, including award winning work.
Dr. Oswald also acts as a PhD examiner, undertakes journal editorial duties, and reviews for over 10 peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. Oswald teaches undergraduate and postgraduate students within both the Construction Management and Occupational Health & Safety degree programs. He acts as Deputy Program Manager and undertakes research with industry, government and academic partners globally.
- PhD in Construction Safety
- MEng in Structural and Fire Safety Engineering
- Senior Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2021 - present)
- Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2018 - 2020)
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, RMIT University, Australia (2016 - 2017)
- Forth Crossing Bridge Contractors, Edinburgh, Scotland (2012 - 2016)
- Arup Group, Engineering and Design Company, Edinburgh, Scotland (2011)
- Oswald, D.,Moore, T.,Baker, E. (2022). Exploring the well-being of renters during the COVID-19 pandemic In: International Journal of Housing Policy, , 1 - 21
- Oswald, D.,Lingard, H.,Zhang, R. (2022). How transactional and transformational safety leadership behaviours are demonstrated within the construction industry In: Construction Management and Economics, 40, 374 - 390
- Oswald, D.,Moore, T. (2022). Constructing a Consumer-Focused Industry, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Oswald, D. (2021). Homeowner vulnerability in residential buildings with flammable cladding In: Safety Science, 136, 1 - 11
- Oswald, D.,Moore, T.,Lockrey, S. (2021). Flammable cladding and the effects on homeowner well-being In: Housing Studies, , 1 - 21
- Oswald, D.,Moore, T.,Lockrey, S. (2021). Combustible costs! financial implications of flammable cladding for homeowners In: International Journal of Housing Policy, 22, 225 - 250
- Oswald, D.,Ahiaga-Dagbui, D.,Sherratt, F.,Smith, S. (2020). An industry structured for unsafety? An exploration of the cost-safety conundrum in construction project delivery In: Safety Science, 122, 1 - 10
- Lingard, H.,Oswald, D. (2020). Safety at the frontline: The social negotiation of work and safety at the principal contractor-subcontractor interface In: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 146, 1 - 11
- Zhang, P.,Lingard, H.,Oswald, D. (2020). Impact of Supervisory Safety Communication on Safety Climate and Behavior in Construction Workgroups In: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 146, 1 - 11
- Oswald, D.,Dainty, A. (2020). Ethnographic Research in the Construction Industry: A Critical Review In: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 146, 1 - 13
1 PhD Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Inquiry into housing in a circular economy (21/PRO/53280). Funded by: Australian Housing & Urban Research Institute (AHURI) - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Building materials in a circular economy (21/PRO/53284). Funded by: Australian Housing & Urban Research Institute (AHURI) - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Priorities for a post pandemic landlord-renter relationship in Australia. Funded by: Australian Housing & Urban Research Institute (AHURI) - Competitive from (2020 to 2020)