Using mainly experimental methods, Dr. Laban’s research focuses on cultural differences in decision making, especially in situations involving uncertainty or risk.
She holds a PhD in Economics from the University of Exeter, a Masters in Behavioural Economics from the University of Nottingham, and a BCom (Hons) in Economics from the University of Canterbury. Using mainly experimental methods, Jo’s research focuses on cultural differences in decision making, especially in situations involving uncertainty or risk. She has presented the results from this work at conferences in the UK, The Netherlands, and China.
Jo is also keen to apply behavioural insights to policy. During her PhD she completed an internship with a UK Government Department, where she applied ideas from behavioural economics to real-life problems. Her work has attracted funding from the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council, as well as numerous small grants from the University of Exeter’s Behaviour, Decisions and Markets Research Centre.
- PhD in Economics, University of Exeter, UK
- MSc in Behavioural Economics, University of Nottingham, UK
- BCom (Hons) in Economics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Government Internship with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
- Statistical Analyst at Statistics New Zealand
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Peryman, J.,Kelsey, D. (2021). Ambiguity when playing coordination games across cultures In: Theory and Decision, 90, 485 - 505
- Hoffmann, J.,Blijlevens, J.,Chuah, .,Neelim, A.,Peryman, J.,Skali, A. (2020). The Ethics of Student Participation in Economic Experiments: Arguments and Evidence In: Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 85, 1 - 14
- Banczyk, M.,Laban, J.,Potts, J. (2018). Choosing cities: a behavioural economic approach In: The Annals of Regional Science, 61, 463 - 477
- Banham, S.,Blijlevens, J.,Peryman, J. (2018). Sans Forgetica In: Sans Forgetica Melbourne, Australia
- Sans Forgettica - designing a font that aids memory. Funded by: Naked Communications Pty Ltd - Contract from (2018 to 2018)
- Building Employer Demand. Funded by: ORIMA Research Pty Ltd - Contract from (2018 to 2018)