RMIT offers a variety of research scholarships to support candidates to pursue excellence in their research while furthering their academic and career goals.
Applications for the 2019 mid year scholarship round are currently being accepted.
If you have not yet applied for a research program and would like to be considered for admission and scholarship, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). Please indicate in your EOI that your application type is 'Admission and Scholarship'. If your EOI is successful, you will be invited to submit a full application.
Expressions of Interest (EOI) must be submitted by 01 April 2019 and Full Applications must be submitted by 5pm AEST on 30 April 2019.
Successful applicants will generally be required to commence no later than July 2019.
Current RMIT HDR Candidates
If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, you will need to submit a scholarship only application by 5pm AEST on 30 April 2019.
If you have already applied to RMIT for Admission Only and would like to be considered for a scholarship, please email email@example.com, indicating that you wish to be considered for the current scholarship round. Your email must be received by 5pm AEST on 30 April 2019.
All scholarship applications must be submitted by 5pm AEST on 30 April 2019. Unfortunately no extensions after this time are possible.
There are two basic types of scholarship that are made available through the research scholarship rounds. These are:
International tuition fee scholarships
- RTP International Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS)
- RMIT International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS)
Scholarship applications from international candidates are automatically considered for both a stipend and the Tuition / Fee Offset Scholarships.
When applying for a scholarship you will automatically be considered for all scholarships for which you are eligible. You do not need to submit separate applications.
Applicants for an RMIT research scholarship must:
- meet the entry requirements for a graduate research program at RMIT University; or
- be currently enrolled in a graduate research program at RMIT
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of a competitive selection process that ranks applicants according to their academic achievement, research outputs and relevant professional experience.
Priority is given to applicants who:
- have achieved a high distinction in the final two years of the qualifying program(s). At RMIT a grade of high distinction represents an academic achievement of 80% or higher
- may be considered by RMIT as having an equivalent level of academic attainment, taking into account previous study, relevant work experience, research publications and other research experience
- are able to take receipt of a scholarship for a minimum 12 months duration on a full time basis (or part time equivalent) because of prior enrolment in a graduate research program
- have not already completed a graduate research program at the same or higher course level. For example Masters by Research applicants should not have already completed a Masters by Research or PhD
- an applicant must not previously have held an RMIT or Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship’s payments commencing
- are or will be enrolled and primarily based at an RMIT Australian campus
Applicants for the VCPS must not have undertaken prior higher degree by research candidature in the last three years
Current research candidates
Current research candidates are eligible to apply for scholarship if they:
- have more than 24 months remaining (full time equivalent) of PhD candidature as at 1 July 2019
- have more than 12 months remaining (full time equivalent) of Master by research candidature as at 1 July 2019.
To apply for scholarship, please complete the admission and scholarship application form which is available on our How to Apply page.
Please note, scholarship applications will only be accepted within the official scholarship round dates.
International applicants must meet English language requirements by the application closing date to be considered for a scholarship.
See the HDR Scholarship Terms and Conditions for more information.
If you have been awarded a scholarship which has been funded by your school or supervisor, you will need to contact your school to discuss individual scholarship allowances and entitlements. Please note, the full scholarship allowances listed in the Terms and Conditions above may not be relevant to your individual situation.