Avoid accidental plagiarism by referencing all work that isn’t your own.
You must reference the following types of information:
- thoughts, ideas, definitions or theories
- research and other studies
- information from the Internet, including images and media
- designs or works of art
- facts that are not common knowledge
You’ll use Turnitin when you submit your assessments. Turnitin is an online tool in Canvas that checks your assignments to ensure they're your own work, and that you've acknowledged the work and ideas from other sources. Find out more.
Our support services are here to help you achieve your study and personal goals. If you're feeling stressed about study, we can help.
RMIT Student Union (RUSU)
RUSU offers free and confidential support for students who have been charged with academic misconduct.
If you'd like to talk to someone about a case of misconduct, contact the Student Conduct Secretariat for a confidential discussion.
tel: +61 3 9925 8965
If you're in Vietnam, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Breaches of academic integrity include:
- plagiarism and failure to correctly acknowledge sources
- contract cheating or paying/getting another person to prepare an assignment
- submitting work prepared by another person
- copying other people’s work
- cheating in exams
- breaching the Research Code
- using unauthorised materials or devices
- uploading your assessment questions to websites to get answers (whether paid or unpaid)
- downloading assessments or parts of assessments from websites that you then submit as your own work (whether paid or unpaid)
Academic integrity ensures that our qualifications are valued and can be trusted. That’s why it’s taken so seriously by RMIT, as well as by the wider tertiary sector and employers. The penalties for breaching academic integrity include charges of academic misconduct, cancellation of results and expulsion resulting in the cancellation of your program.
Contract cheating services
Commercial cheating services are targeting students at RMIT. These services offer to provide answers or complete an assessment for money. If you use these services, it's called contract cheating. These services may keep a student’s personal details to harass them and ask for more money. If you have any concerns or questions about this, please write to email@example.com.
- Keep track of your sources as you prepare your assessment.
- Keep your work secure at all times.
- Remember that recycling your own work can be plagiarism.