Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
This program is focused on giving students highly practical live production and audiovisual skills that enable them to undertake a wide range of jobs in a diverse and growing industry.
This program has a selection task.
The Live Production and Technical Services program suite is made up of two years of study, with each year being an individual nationally recognized qualification.
You will start your journey in the Certificate IV for one year and upon successful completion continue in the Diploma for a further year.
In the Certificate IV, you will learn a broad range of practical technician skills under instruction, including setting up, operating and maintaining lighting, sound, vision and presentation equipment.
In the Diploma you will learn to work at senior technician and management level in the live event and audiovisual related industries. You will be equipped to adapt to varied live production environments like festivals, venues, production studios and AV support in education and sales.
Many graduates are employed locally and overseas.
Certificate IV – 1 year full-time
Diploma – 1 year full-time
You will learn through practical, hands-on classes and technical exercises in theatres, classrooms, studios and other locations. You will spend approximately 25 hours per week on campus and classes consist of 20-25 students.
All classes have a strong focus on industry-based practical skills, which you will be assessed on in either groups or individually.
Teachers have many years of industry experience and graduates and current industry practitioners sometimes take guest classes.
The course is taught by academic staff who have many years of industry and teaching experience. You will also be introduced to industry partners who visit classes and will guide you to develop a network of classmates and industry connections who will become your colleagues
All programs are delivered in English.
You can access online resources through the myRMIT student portal.
Studio and equipment details:
- M-Series lighting consoles - one M1 lighting control desk, two M2Go's and one adaptor port with touchscreen PC for computer control
- Two MA on PC Wing lighting consoles with touchscreen computers
- A range of LED and moving light profile and fresnel fixtures including Robe's Rush MH5's and MH2's
- A range of LCD, LED and DLP projectors, some with fixed and some with removable lenses for front and rear projection
- Two large truss screens with drape kits and front and rear surfaces
- Albeton Live and DMXIS software for sound and lighting show control operations
- Allen and Heath QU24 digital desk
- Digico SD11 Mixing Desk
- Allen and Heath ZED 420 Analogue Mixer
- Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 16 channel desk 16:2 DX
- DBX 166XL compressor
- DBX GEQ 231 Graphic Equaliser
- Madi Multitrack BBR 64 Digital recording system
- A wide range of Sennheiser, Shure and Rode dynamic and condenser microphones
- Sennheiser Wireless Microphone system
- A wide range of microphone stands
- A wide range of active and passive DI boxes
- A wide range of looms cables
- A wide range Mackie and RCF powered monitors
- Mackie SWA1501 subwoofer
- Adamson PA system
- Audio Technica headphones
- Behringer CT100 cable tester
- Fully digital world class TV studios
- Panasonic high definition and 4 k camcorders
- Panasonic P2 field recorders
- Panasonic production vision switcher
- Blackmagic ATEM 1 M/E broadcast panel and ATEM TV studio production switcher
- Adobe Premier and After Effects software
- Riedel Mediornet Optical Fibre stage box signal distribution system
This program has many connections to industry organisations including:
- AV event, design and installation companies
- conference and live event organisations
- educational providers
- festival organisers
- lighting companies
- sound companies
- TV stations
- Bakehouse Studios
- The Tote.
Students may wish to undertake practical placement at these organisations which gives them the opportunity to undertake work integrated learning concurrently with their studies. Employers looking to fill the current shortfall of multi-skilled live event and AV operators frequently contact program staff seeking students and graduates.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
Live production and AV technology has a worldwide presence in conferences, corporate and educational environments, festivals and the entertainment industry.
Job opportunities are extensive and continuously expanding and evolving as companies seek to differentiate themselves from their competitors.
Industry professionals often look to employ RMIT Live Production and Technical Services graduates due to their high level of professionalism and strong action-oriented attitude.
Graduates have been employed by organisations such as:
- ABC Television
- Audiovisual Dynamics
- Candlelight Productions
- CHW Consulting (Technology Design & Integration)
- Fairchild Multimedia
- Fremantle Media
- Harry the Hirer Productions
- Insight AV
- Haycom Staging
- iVision Unified Communications
- KLM Group
- Leading Edge Installations Pty Ltd
- Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Melbourne Museum
- Methodist Ladies’ College
- Microhire AV
- Monash University
- Nine Network
- Network Ten
- Oakland Productions
- Phaseshift Lighting Productions
- Resolution X
- RMIT University
- Rutledge AV
- Seven Network
- Staging Connections
- State Library of Victoria
- Swinburne University
- Victorian Arts Centre (audio and staging departments).
You'll be well placed for production roles such as:
- AV and Event Designer
- AV and Event Installer
- AV and Event Manager
- AV and Event Producer
- AV and Event Project Manager
- AV and Event Technician
- Data Wrangler
- Event Floor Manager
- Studio Operator
- Video Split Operator.
Professional recognition and accreditation
We have a strong industry advisory group that meets regularly to ensure that our programs remain current.
Program and course information
This practical and intense program ensures you graduate industry ready
Learn hands-on skills and secure a career in the music, television or film industries. Graduates have found work with ABC, Fremantle Media, lighting and production companies and have started their own businesses.