Bronwyn Coate is a senior lecturer in the School of Economics, Finance and Marketing at RMIT. She is a cultural economist whose research interests include art markets, creative industries and creative placemaking.
Cultural economics, the economics of art and culture, film economics, creative cities, creative industries, art markets
Research Projects and Funding
ARC Discovery Grant (DP120101940) $289,000 Awarded in 2011 to fund project over 2012-2014. Project Title: Only at the Movies: Mapping the Contemporary Australian Cinema Market, with Prof. Deb Verhoeven, Prof. Richard Maltby, Assoc. Prof. Colin Arrowsmith and Dr. Kate Bowles.
Industry Research with the City of Melbourne $24,000 Awarded in 2016. Project Title: An economic impact assessment of the Arts in Melbourne with Dr. Meg Elkins, Assoc. Prof. Jonathan Boymal and Assoc. Prof. Ashton de Silva.
- PhD in Economics, RMIT University
- Graduate Diploma in Accounting, Deakin University
- Bachelor of Economics (Hons), La Trobe University
- Zemaityte, V.,Verhoeven, D.,Coate, B. (2018). Understanding the dynamics between the United States and Australian film markets: testing the '10% rule' In: Studies in Australasian Cinema, 12, 56 - 69
- Coate, B.,Verhoeven, D.,DAVIDSON, A. (2017). The cinema cities index: comparing urban cinema cultures around the world In: Media International Australia, 163, 163 - 175
- Elkins, M.,Coate, B.,De Silva, A.,Boymal, J.,Ozmen, M. (2017). The Economic Impact of the City of Melbourne's Investment in the Arts: Analysis of Artists, Audiences and the General Public Survey Responses In: City of Melbourne Melbourne, Australia
- Coate, B.,Verhoeven, D.,Arrowsmith, C.,Zemaityte, V. (2017). Feature Film Diversity on Australian Cinema Screens: Implications for Cultural Diversity Studies Using Big Data In: Australian Screen in the 2000s, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Arrowsmith, C.,Coate, B.,Palmer, S.,Verhoeven, D. (2016). Using big cultural data to understand diversity and reciprocity in the global flow of contemporary cinema In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Measurement of Digital Cultural Products 2016, Montreal, Canada, 9-11 May 2016
- Verhoeven, D.,Davidson, A.,Coate, B. (2015). Australian films at large: Expanding the evidence about Australian cinema performance In: Studies in Australasian Cinema, 9, 7 - 20
- Coate, B.,Verhoeven, D. (2015). Counting the cost: Exploring the impact of cinema ticket prices in Australia In: Metro, , 118 - 123
- Arrowsmith, C.,Verhoeven, D.,Davidson, A.,Coate, B. (2014). Kinomatics: A global study into cinema data In: Proceedings of the Geospatial Science Research 3 Symposium, Melbourne, Australia, 2-3 December 2014
- Handmer, J.,Coate, B.,Choong, W. (2007). The Indian Ocean tsunami: local resilience in Phuket In: Managing Coastal Vulnerability, Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Coate, B.,Handmer, J.,Choong, W. (2006). Taking care of people and communities: Rebuilding livelihoods through NGOs and the informal economy in Southern Thailand In: Disaster Prevention and Management, 15, 135 - 145
- Venice Biennale - Artist Impact Evaluation (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: Australian Council for the Arts from (2018 to 2018)
- Only at the Movies? Mapping the Contemporary Australian Cinema Market. Administered by Deakin University.. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant pre-2014 from (2012 to 2017)
1 Masters by Research Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions