Bronwyn Coate is a senior lecturer in the School of Economics, Finance and Marketing at RMIT. She is a cultural economist whose research interests include art markets, creative industries and creative placemaking.
Cultural economics, the economics of art and culture, film economics, creative cities, creative industries, art markets
Research Projects and Funding
ARC Discovery Grant (DP120101940) $289,000 Awarded in 2011 to fund project over 2012-2014. Project Title: Only at the Movies: Mapping the Contemporary Australian Cinema Market, with Prof. Deb Verhoeven, Prof. Richard Maltby, Assoc. Prof. Colin Arrowsmith and Dr. Kate Bowles.
Industry Research with the City of Melbourne $24,000 Awarded in 2016. Project Title: An economic impact assessment of the Arts in Melbourne with Dr. Meg Elkins, Assoc. Prof. Jonathan Boymal and Assoc. Prof. Ashton de Silva.
- PhD in Economics, RMIT University
- Graduate Diploma in Accounting, Deakin University
- Bachelor of Economics (Hons), La Trobe University
- Arenius, P.,Chuah, .,Coate, B.,Hoffmann, J. (2021). (In Press) The economic psychology of creating and venturing: a comparative behavioural portrait of artists and entrepreneurs In: Small Business Economics, , 1 - 17
- Hoffmann, J.,Coate, B.,Chuah, .,Arenius, P. (2021). (In Press) What Makes an Artrepreneur? An Exploratory Study of Artrepreneurial Passion, Personality and Artistry In: Journal of Cultural Economics, , 1 - 20
- Vincent, C.,Glow, H.,Johanson, K.,Coate, B. (2021). Who Did You Meet at the Venice Biennale? Education-to-Work Transition Enhancers for Aspiring Arts Professionals in Australia In: Work, Employment and Society, , 1 - 18
- Coate, B.,Hoffmann, J. (2021). (In Press) The behavioural economics of culture In: Journal of Cultural Economics, , 1 - 24
- Coate, B. (2020). Show Me the Data!: Uncovering the Evidence in Screen Media Industry Research In: Writing about Screen Media, Routledge, New York, United States
- Brandum, D.,Coate, B.,Verhoeven, D. (2019). When distributors' trash becomes exhibitors' treasure: rethinking film success and failure In: The Routledge Companion to New Cinema History, Routledge, New York
- Verhoeven, D.,Coate, B.,Zemaityte, V. (2019). Re-Distributing Gender in the Global Film Industry: Beyond #MeToo and #MeThree In: Media Industries, 6, 135 - 155
- Zemaityte, V.,Verhoeven, D.,Coate, B. (2018). Understanding the dynamics between the United States and Australian film markets: testing the '10% rule' In: Studies in Australasian Cinema, 12, 56 - 69
- Elkins, M.,Coate, B.,De Silva, A.,Boymal, J.,Ozmen, M. (2017). The Economic Impact of the City of Melbourne's Investment in the Arts: Analysis of Artists, Audiences and the General Public Survey Responses In: City of Melbourne Melbourne, Australia
- Coate, B.,Verhoeven, D.,Arrowsmith, C.,Zemaityte, V. (2017). Feature Film Diversity on Australian Cinema Screens: Implications for Cultural Diversity Studies Using Big Data In: Australian Screen in the 2000s, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
1 Masters by Research Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Venice Biennale - Artist Impact Evaluation (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: Australia Council for the Arts from (2018 to 2018)
- Only at the Movies? Mapping the Contemporary Australian Cinema Market. Administered by Deakin University.. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant pre-2014 from (2012 to 2017)