Professor David Forrest is Professor of Music Education in the School’s of Education and Art at RMIT University.
David’s current research projects are: ARC Linkage (2008–2010) with Mr LJ Harvey on The spatial ensemble: scaling instrumental resonance and morphology for spatialised performance (including 3 APAIs); National Teaching Standards for Music Educators through the Australian Society for Music Education; Australian music in the curriculum (2009), School of Education; and, Music in preservice primary education: National developments (2009) with Dr Neryl Jeanneret, Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne.
A large amount of David’s work has been focused on the development and implementation of policy in music and arts education, at the state, national and international levels. He has pursued ongoing research on the Russian composer and educator Dmitri Kabalevsky (1904–87). This work integrates his ongoing research interests in educational philosophy, musicology, music for children, and piano music. The Kabalevsky work has informed his study into the philosophy and practical place of music and the arts in the school curriculum as well as the importance of music for children (as performers and as members of an audience).
2009 The Council of Professional Teaching Associations of Victoria, Outstanding Professional Service Award
2006 Inaugural Fellow of the Australian Society for Music Education (FASME)
David divides his time between the School of Education and the School of Art.
In the School of Education he works with a number of higher degree research students across music and arts education, creative arts therapy, and ICT in education. He is a member of the School Executive and the Research and Higher Degree Committee.
In the School of Art he manages and teaches into the MA (Arts Management) and supervises a group of research students.
Dip Music Ed Newcastle, Diploma State Conservatorium Sydney
B.Music Ed Newcastle, M Creative Arts Wollongong
Dip TEFL Edinburgh
Association of Music Educators (Victoria)
Australian Association of Research in Education
Australian and New Zealand Association for Research in Music Education
Australian Society for Music Education
International Society for Music Education
Music Council of Australia
Musicological Society of Australia
Member, Education Panel (Victoria), Churchill Fellowships
Publications Editor & National Executive Member, Australian Society for Music Education
Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Artistic and Creative Education
Member, Editorial Board, Creative Approaches to Research, RMIT Publishing
Member, Editorial Committee, International Journal of Music Education
Member, Editorial Board, Asia-Pacific Journal for Arts Education
- Cabedo-Mas, A.,Nethsinghe, N.,Forrest, D. (2017). The role of the arts in education for peacebuilding, diversity and intercultural understanding: A comparative study of educational policies in Australia and Spain In: International Journal of Education and the Arts, Volume 18 Number 11, 18, 1 - 27
- Cabedo Mas, A.,Nethsinghe, N.,Forrest, D. (2016). The arts within a sustainable educational agenda In: Global Learning in the 21st Century, Sense Publishers, The Netherlands
- Watson, A.,Forrest, D. (2016). Emerging leadership and professional development in a chamber orchestra In: Proceedings of the 21st International Seminar of the ISME Commission on the Education of the Professional Musician, Saint Andrews, Fife, Scotland, 20-23 July 2016
- Forrest, D. (2016). Policy (re)cycling in education, the arts and culture In: Proceedings of the18th International Seminar of the ISME Commission on Music Policy: Culture, Education, and Mass Media, Birmingham, United Kingdom, 20-22 July 2016
- Comte, M.,Forrest, D. (2015). Engaging communities through the arts In: Community Cultural Development: Challenges and Connections, Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, Australia
- Forrest, D.,Jeanneret, N. (2015). Australia In: The preparation of music teachers: A global perspective, ANPROM Pesquisa em Musica no Brasil, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- Legino, R.,Forrest, D. (2015). Symmetrical motif design in Malaysian batik sarong patterns In: International Colloquium of Art and Design Education Research (i-CADER 2014), Springer Science and Business Media, Singapore
- Watson, A.,Forrest, D. (2014). Performance reviews for the orchestral musician In: Australian Journal of Music Education, 1, 94 - 102
- Jeanneret, N.,Forrest, D. (2014). Policy and practice: Acknowledging diverse communities In: Proceedings of the 17th Biennial International Seminar of the Commission on Music Policy: Culture, Education, and Media, Natal, Brazil, 16-18 July 2014
- Watson, A.,Forrest, D. (2013). Supporting the business of making music In: Redefining the musical landscape: Inspired learning and innovation in music education. XIX National Conference Proceedings, Canberra, Australia, 29 September - 1 October, 2013
- Agile Opera: chamber opera in a new era. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2013 to 2016)
- The spatial ensemble: scaling instrumental resonance and morphology for spatialised performance. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2008 Round 1 from (2008 to 2011)
- AHURI Top-Up Scholarship - Tammy Wong: The City as a Curated Space: Towards the Creative City. Funded by: AHURI Top-Up Scholarship (part of the National Housing research Program) pre- 2014 from (2008 to 2011)
10 PhD Current Supervisions26 PhD Completions and 8 Masters by Research Completions