Work while studying

Working while you study in Australia is a great opportunity to earn money, improve your English, gain skills and meet new people, but conditions and restrictions apply.​

To check if you have permission to work, visit the Department of Home Affairs Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service.

Work conditions for student visa holders

As an international student, you must not start work until you have started your program. You can work no more than 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) during the semester.​

Work-based activities undertaken as part of your RMIT program, for example, Work Integrated Learning (WIL), does not count towards your work hour limits, as long as this amount of WIL/ work-based training is part of the CRICOS registration of that specific program.​

Volunteer work is also included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.​

As long as you are not enrolled in any courses, including online courses studied in Australia, you can work unrestricted hours during your semester break.​

Visit the work conditions for student visa holders section of the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.​

Get a Tax File Number

You must have a Tax File Number (TFN) to be able to work in Australia. To apply for a TFN, refer to the Australian Taxation Office website.​

Updated by International Compliance: August 2019

Find out more

Explore more

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business. - Artwork created by Louisa Bloomer