DurationFull-time 6 months, Part-time may be available, Other
Next intakeFebruary, July
Next intakeNot applicable
Gain the confidence you need for further study. This course is designed as a pathway for school leavers who did not attain the required skill level, or for those who have not studied for some years.
Whether you've missed out on your first study preference or you feel like you need some extra time to prepare before university, you'll gain the academic skills you need to undertake vocational or university studies.
You'll explore specialised business, engineering and science streams designed to give you an introduction to the area of your future studies.
What you will gain through this course
You will develop the academic skills, knowledge and confidence required to participate in higher-level qualifications and enhance your future career opportunities.
Why study Certificate IV Tertiary Preparation at RMIT?
Completion of this course provides a guaranteed pathway into many other RMIT courses, if certain criteria are met.
I credit all my current academic and professional achievements to this course. The certificate allowed me to pick up a range of skills that helped me gain confidence, both in my first year of tertiary education and in my professional career today. I am forever grateful of the experience.
Dr Lenče Veljanoska
At RMIT, you’ll be studying at an institution with expert teachers, passionate researchers, and strong connections to industry. You will have the opportunity to take part in career and further education planning so you can explore your study options and develop a pathway for the future.
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches, including lectures, seminars, studios, workshops, presentations and group discussions.
Please note: For the science and engineering streams, having maths to at least year 10 level (or equivalent) will enhance the likelihood of successfully completing the maths component of this certificate. If your maths skills are below a year 10 level, consider the Certificate III in Science before the Certificate IV in Preparation – Science stream.
Engineering stream: 6 months full-time
Science stream: 6 months full-time
Business stream: 6 months full-time
Midyear intake available.
You’ll organise and monitor your own learning over the course of the five core modules and five electives from your selected specialist stream (engineering, science, or business).
You'll explore different tertiary options and develop an individual pathway to prepare yourself for further study.
You will select one (1) of the following specialist streams:
Choose a program structure
Choose a program structure
Program code: C4386
National curriculum code: 22313VIC
If you are eligible to apply via VTAC, copy and paste the below code into VTAC search.
- Plan C4386BUS - 3200310234
- Plan C4386ENG - 3200317544
- Plan C4386SCI - 3200317554
Please ensure that you have checked the admissions requirements and apply page before applying.
There are no minimum entry requirements.
However you should have the minimum language, literacy and numeracy skills that align to Level 3 in ACSF. This means that you can:
- Read and interpret information in texts
- Write about ideas and information
- Speak formally and informally
- Interpret simple mathematical information
If you are currently studying, or have recently completed, secondary schooling please note that this program is not a substitute for year 12 study. Typically, students who have recently left secondary school will have completed year 11 and have completed or partly completed year 12 or its equivalent in Australia.
We recommend that if English is your second language and you have not completed year 12 or equivalent in Australia, you complete at least a Certificate IV in EAL (Further Study) before undertaking the program.
Entry to this program is competitive. Applicants are ranked and selected in order of merit based on their academic achievement, e.g., ATAR (including any adjustment factors).
You are encouraged to submit a personal statement outlining:
- your reasons for wanting to study this program
- your intended career path
- your personal strengths and attributes relevant to the program
- details of any related work or voluntary experience
If you are applying to RMIT via VTAC you can complete and submit the VTAC personal statement via your online VTAC account.
If you are applying direct to RMIT you can upload your completed personal statement via your online direct application.
Successful completion of this program guarantees entry into the following programs at RMIT University subject to certain criteria being met:
- Diploma of International Business
- Diploma of Business Administration
- Diploma of Leadership and Management
- Diploma of Information Technology
- Diploma of Financial Planning
- Diploma of Business
- Diploma of Business (Public Relations)
- Diploma of Logistics
- Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
- Diploma of Surveying
- Diploma of Applied Technologies
- Advanced Diploma of Computer Systems Engineering
- Advanced Diploma of Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Advanced Diploma of Engineering (Aeronautical)
- Advanced Diploma of Engineering (Mechanical)
- Advanced Diploma of Engineering Technology (Electrical)
- Advanced Diploma of Engineering Technology (Civil Engineering Design)
- Associate Degree in Applied Science. Students must have successfully completed the program and the unit MATH7081/VU22074 Use a range of techniques to solve mathematical problems to be eligible for guaranteed entry.
- Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques
- Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled-Division 2 Nursing). Entry into this program is subject to meeting the Diploma of Nursing English language proficiency specified by ANMAC and the NMBA
- Diploma of Conservation and Land Management
- Diploma in Dental Technology
Please contact our office on +61 3 9925 4488 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The tuition fees you will pay for this program will depend on whether you are offered a Victorian Government subsidised place or a full-fee place. To find out if you are eligible for a government subsidised place, follow the steps at How to check if you are eligible.
- 2021 government subsidised place (with concession): AU$600.00* per annum
- 2021 government subsidised place: AU$3,000* per annum
- 2021 full-fee place: AU$5,000* per annum
*Fees shown are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment.
Use our fee finder to get an estimate of your fees for this program.
- Student services and amenities fee (SSAF): AU$313 maximum fee for 2021.
- Other items related to your program, including field trips, textbooks and equipment.
Annual fee adjustment
The student tuition fees as displayed by the fee finder are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Fees are adjusted on an annual basis and these fees should only be used as a guide.
Eligibility Exemption criteria
**The Victorian Government is currently waiving three (3) eligibility criteria around prior qualifications. This means that more people who want to study a vocational education program at RMIT, and who have studied previously, will be able to access a government subsidised place in a program. Find out how to check your eligibility
If your application for a fee concession is approved, you will be charged 20% of the standard government subsidised tuition fee for your program. You will also be charged a lower rate on your student services and amenities fee (SSAF).
In addition to tuition fees, you will be charged an annual student services and amenities fee (SSAF), which is used to maintain and enhance services and amenities that improve your experience as an RMIT student.
The SSAF is calculated based on your enrolment load and the maximum fee for 2021 is $313.
For more information about calculating your actual SSAF see Paying SSAF.
You may also be required to purchase other items related to your program, including field trips, textbooks and equipment. These additional fees and expenses vary from program to program.