This certificate is based on general plumbing roofing and mechanical streams.
There are 83 subjects comprising 43 core units and 40 electives. The electives have been chosen to reflect the discipline of plumbing required for registration and licensing, as prescribed by the VBA.
This apprenticeship runs over three years with the bulk of time spent working with your employer and block releases to study on-campus at RMIT.
You'll study five streams of plumbing, comprising three stages of study: drainage, gas, roofing, sanitary and water. You may also choose to study the mechanical stream, which requires an additional stage of study.
As part of your certificate, you will learn to:
- Weld polymer pipes using fusion method
- Install and commission Type-A gas appliances
- Plan the layout of a residential sanitary plumbing system and fabricate and install sanitary stacks
- Carry out levelling
- Read plans, calculate quantities and mark out materials
- Maintain mechanical services equipment
- Work safely on roofs
- Flash penetrations through roofs and walls