Dr Raj Ladani
Position: Senior Lecturer
College / Portfolio: STEM College
School / Department: STEM|School of Engineering
Campus: Bundoora East
Contact me about: Research supervision
Current research projects:
- DSTG “Defence structures and materials experimentation collaborative program”
- QinetiQ “Multi-Functional Shape Memory Alloy Tufted Composite Joints (MuST) Modelling Framework”
- DSTG “Additively Manufactured Pinning Technology For Metal-to-Composite Hybrid Joints (APin-Joint) “
- Supervision of PhD students, Masters students and undergraduate thesis projects
Previous projects have included:
- DSTG “Bio-inspired toughening of transparent adhesives”
- DSTG “Molecular Velcro Adhesives”
- DSTG “Exploring the Interplay between composite degradation mechanisms in-service“
- Freespace Solutions “Development of Giant Racing Drones”
Awards and recognition
- 2021, Victoria Fellowship, Physical Sciences, Victorian Government.
- 2020, STEM College Early Career Researcher Research Excellence Award, RMIT University.
- 2020, School of Engineering Early Career Researcher Award, RMIT University.
- 2019, RMIT Award for Impact and Collaboration Team Award, The Multifunctional Composites Research Group, RMIT University.
- 2019, Executive Dean’s Research Excellence Award, RMIT University.
- 2017, School of Engineering Award for Best PhD Thesis in Aerospace Engineering, RMIT University.
- PhD (Aerospace Engineering), RMIT University, 2016
- BEng (Aerospace) 1st Class Honours, RMIT University, 2012
- 2019-current, Lecturer, School of Engineering, RMIT University
- 2016-2019, Research Fellow, School of Engineering, RMIT University
- Advanced Composite Structures Australia (ACS-A)
- Boeing Australia
- Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG)
- National Composites Centre (NCC)
- Technical Committee, International Conference on Composite Materials
- Technical Committee, International Conference on Mechanical Behaviour of Materials
- 2013-20016, Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship from the Australian Government for three years of PhD research.
- 2012, Scholarship from the Sir Lawrence Wackett Aerospace Research Centre for Composite research.
- 2011, Scholarship from the Sir Lawrence Wackett Research Centre for UAV research.
- Ravindran, A.,Ladani, R.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2022). Design considerations in the strengthening of composite lap joints using metal z-pins In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 160, 1 - 7
- Rathnayaka Mudiyanselage, S.,Peng, C.,Ladani, R.,Tran, J. (2022). Analysing fracture properties of bio-inspired 3D printed suture structures In: Thin-Walled Structures, 176, 1 - 13
- Abbasi, S.,Ladani, R.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Improving the structural properties of composite T-joints by z-weaving of continuous metallic filaments In: Composite Structures, 260, 1 - 10
- Mouritz, A.,Galos, J.,Linklater, D.,Ladani, R.,Kandare, E.,Crawford, R.,Ivanova, E. (2021). Towards antiviral polymer composites to combat COVID-19 transmission In: Nano Select, 2, 1 - 11
- Abbasi, S.,Ladani, R.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Improving the delamination fatigue resistance of composites by 3D woven metal and composite Z-filaments In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 147, 1 - 10
- Hu, Y.,Ladani, R.,Brandt, M.,Li, Y.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Carbon fibre damage during 3D printing of polymer matrix laminates using the FDM process In: Materials and Design, 205, 1 - 10
- Ciampa, F.,Ladani, R.,Knott, G.,Mouritz, A. P., et al, . (2021). Shape memory alloy tufted composites combining high delamination resistant and crack closure properties In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 147, 1 - 10
- Galos, J.,Hu, Y.,Ravindran, A.,Ladani, R.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Electrical properties of 3D printed continuous carbon fibre composites made using the FDM process In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 151, 1 - 11
- Loh, T.,Ladani, R.,Ravindran, A.,Das, R.,Kandare, E.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Z-Pinned composites with combined delamination toughness and delamination Self-Repair properties In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 149, 1 - 12
- Ravindran, A.,Ladani, R.,Kinloch, A.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Improving the delamination resistance and impact damage tolerance of carbon fibre-epoxy composites using multi-scale fibre toughening In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 150, 1 - 14
Composite materials and structures for aerospace, Automotive and civil structures; Fatigue and fracture mechanics; Nanocomposite
10 PhD Current Supervisions3 PhD Completions
- Root cause identification and solution for the leaks in composite cases. Funded by: Thales Australia Ltd Contract from (2022 to 2022)
- Adhesion enhancement of metal-composite hybrid joints using through-the-thickness micro pins (Candidate: Tania Bagnato). Funded by: Defence Science Institute (DSI) Grant for Scholarships from (2021 to 2024)
- Residual Strength of Composites Subject to Environmental and Fatigue Loading (Student: Kade Jacobs).. Funded by: Defence Science Institute - Scholarship from (2020 to 2024)