Hongjia Lu is a research fellow in the Centre for Innovative Structures and Materials (CISM) under the supervision of Distinguished Professor Mike Xie.
Hongjia Lu is a research fellow at the Centre for Innovative Structures and Materials (CISM) at RMIT University, where he works on the ARC Laureate Fellowship project. He received his B.Eng. Degree in civil engineering from The University of Liverpool in 2013; his M.Sc. degree in structural engineering from the Imperial College London in 2014; and his PhD degree from the University of Sheffield in 2018 with a thesis entitled ‘Application of layout optimisation to the design of bracing in buildings’.
Hongjia’s research interests include truss layout optimisation, continuum topology optimisation and applications related to building structure design and additive manufacturing (AM). From 2017 to 2019, he worked as a core software developer at LimitState Ltd and contributed to the development of layout optimisation plugins LimitState:FORM (Ansys SpaceClaim based) and Peregrine (Rhino-Grasshopper based). From 2019 to 2020, he worked as a Research Associate on the INTEGRADDE project at the University of Sheffield and focused on the structural optimisation of metal components manufactured using multi-axis AM machines. He worked at the Zhejiang University in 2021 and headed a research project involving three post-graduate students on AM-related topology and layout optimisation.
- Development of automatic design techniques for free-form structures.
- Application of the new techniques to industrial projects.
- PhD (Civil Engineering), 2018, The University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- MSc (General structural engineering), 2014, Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- BEng (Civil Engineering), 2013, The University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
- Jan 2022 - Present: Research Fellow at RMIT University.
- May 2021 - Dec. 2022: Research Associate at the Zhejiang University.
- Mar. 2019 - Nov. 2020: Research Associate at the University of Sheffield. Part of the INTEGRADDE Project.
- Aug. 2017 - Mar. 2019: Software developer in Limitstate Ltd, UK.
- Jan. - Apr. 2016: Graduate teaching assistant in Matlab exercises of Structural analysis.
- Nov. - Dec. 2016: Graduate teaching assistant in Composite Steel and Concrete Construction.
1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Xiong, Y.,Zhao, Z.,Lu, H.,Shen, W.,Xie, Y. (2023). Parallel BESO framework for solving high-resolution topology optimisation problems In: Advances in Engineering Software, 176, 1 - 10
- Lu, H.,Xie, Y. (2023). Reducing the number of different members in truss layout optimization In: Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 66, 1 - 16
- Liu, Y.,Wang, Z.,Lu, H.,Ye, J.,Zhao, Y.,Xie, Y. (2023). Layout optimization of truss structures with modular constraints In: Structures, 55, 1460 - 1469
- Lu, H.,Lee, T.,Ma, J.,Chen, D.,Xie, Y. (2023). Designing 2D stochastic porous structures using topology optimisation In: Composite Structures, 321, 1 - 12
- Lu, H.,Tyas, A.,Gilbert, M.,Pichugin, A. (2021). On transmissible load formulations in topology optimization In: Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 64, 23 - 37
- Ye, J.,Kyvelou, P.,Gilardi, F.,Lu, H.,Gilbert, M.,Gardner, L. (2021). An End-to-End Framework for the Additive Manufacture of Optimized Tubular Structures In: IEEE Access, 9, 165476 - 165489
- Lu, H.,Gilbert, M.,Tyas, A. (2019). Layout optimization of building frames subject to gravity and lateral load cases In: Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 60, 1561 - 1570
- Lu, H.,Gilbert, M.,Tyas, A. (2018). Theoretically optimal bracing for pre-existing building frames In: Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 58, 677 - 686