Dr Siqin Wang is GIS Scientist and Human Geographer.
Before joining RMIT, Dr Wang has been involved in teaching in six courses at University of Queensland: Introduction of Geographic Information Analysis (as a lecturer and course coordinator); Spatial Modelling and Analysis (as a lecturer and course coordinator); Fundamentals of Geographic Information and Technologies; Human Mobility and Migration; Global Population Issue; and Applied Demography.
Since her PhD conferral in 2018, Dr Wang has published +50 journal articles (as the leading and corresponding author in 35), four book chapters, and one media outlet. Google Scholar and Research Gate do a fairly good job of maintaining her most updated list of published journal articles.
Dr Wang is the principal investigator and co-investigator in research projects funded by the Australian Urban Research Institute and Network and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). She was nominated by the Australia Academy of Sciences as the Research Fellow of the JSPS in 2021. During 2017-2021, she has been working on four Australian Research Council projects:
- ARC Discovery Project (DP170104235) ‘New approaches to modelling human-environment interactions for sustainable coastal city development: spatial complexity, cellular automata and agent-based models’.
- ARC Linkage Project (LP 160100374) ‘Acculturation of older culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds people ageing in a foreign land’.
- ARC Discovery Project (DP150100457) ‘Un-neighbourliness: the nature, causes and outcomes of neighbour problems’
- ARC Linkage Project (LP160100031) ‘Transitions of mobility and parking’.
Dr Wang has also involved in a wide range of international projects with collaborators from +20 universities in the USA, UK, Canada, China, Japan, UK, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and Qatar, including:
- ‘Coastal Cities: Environmental Evolution, Climate Change, and Human Adaptation’ (2019)— the international collaboration project between University of Queensland and East China Normal University funded by East China Normal University International Research Grant
- ‘Human mobility and COVID-19’ (2020-present)— the international collaboration project ‘Global Research on Novel Coronavirus’ co-funded by the US National Science Foundation’s Industry–University Cooperative Research Centers Program, GeoComputation Center for Social Sciences at Wuhan University and Center for Spatial Data Sciences at the University of Chicago
Dr Wang currently acts as the Associated Chair, Spatial Data Lab affiliated to Centre of Geographic Analysis, Harvard University since 2021; the Vice Chair of the Young Scientist Innovation Network for Digital Earth of ISDE (International Society for Digital Earth) since 2023; the editorial board member of International Journal of Digital Earth (08/2022), the guest editor in International Journal of Earth Observation and Geoinformatics, and the reviewer in 20+ international journals.
She is also the member of International Geographic Union-Modelling Geographical Systems Commission, Chinese Professional in Geographic Information Systems, Royal Geographical Society, Association of Australian Population Studies, Queensland Chinese Association of Sciences and Engineering, Queensland Centre for Population Research, International Geography Union, Gamma Theta Upsilon (The International Geographic Honour Society), and Association of American Geographers.
Dr Wang was awarded:
- 2022 Best Paper Award and Most Download Paper Award by Annual of GIS (03/2023)
- Top 20 Global Cutting-edge Technology Young Scientist (06/2022)
- International Research Fellowship by Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Japan (04/2021)
- First Prize and People’s Choice in the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences Poster Competition, University of Queensland, Australia (10/2015)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship and University of Queensland Centennial Scholarship, Australia (04/2015)
- Northern Illinois University Full Scholarship for International Students, US (08/2009)
- AAG International Geographic Information Fund Travel Grant, Associate of American Geographers, US (04/011)
- Award of Geographic Information Analysis Certificate, US (05/2011)
- Award of Honour Membership in Gamma Theta Upsilon, the International Geographic Honor Society, US (05/2011)
- First Prize Award, Associate of American Geographers West Lakes Division Paper Presentation Competition, US (09/2009)
- National Third Prize Award, National Social Investigation Competition, Beijing, China (10/2008).
Dr Wang was invited to deliver public talks in worldwide universities, including:
- Geographic Data Science Lab, University of Liverpool, UK (04/2023)
- Department of Geography and Resource Management, the Chinese University of Hong Kong (01/2023)
- Second Deakin-UGM Joint Research Workshop on COVID-19 Fake News Detection and Intervention, Deakin University, Melbourne Australia (10/2022)
- LSGI Research Seminar, Department of Land Surveying and Geoinformatics, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (09/2022)
- Department of Geography, The University of Hong Kong (06/2022)
- Shenzhen Forum, School of Geography and Urban Planning at Sat Yan-Sen University, China (12/2019)
- International Forum for Young Scientists, School of Geographic Sciences at East China Normal University, China (04/2019)
- East Lake International Forum, School of Architecture and Urban Planning at Huazhong University of Science, China (12/2018)
- International Cross-Discipline Forum, School of Urban Design at Wuhan University, China (04/2018)
Dr Wang is currently supervising 2 PhD students; and supervised 3 Master/Honour students to the completion.
- Wang, S.,Sun, Q.,Huang, X.,Tao, Y.,Dong, C.,das, s.,Liu, Y. (2023). Health-integrated heat risk assessment in Australian cities In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 102, 1 - 13
- Wang, S.,Sun, Q.,Martin, C.,Cai, W.,Liu, Y.,Duckham, M.,Hurley, J.,Amati, M.,Choy, S. (2023). Tracking the settlement patterns of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) populations in Australia: A census-based study from 2001 to 2021 In: Cities, 141, 1 - 13
- Wang, S.,Huang, X.,She, B.,Li, Z. (2023). Diverged landscape of restaurant recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States In: iScience, 26, 1 - 13
- Wang, S. (2023). Public Surveillance of Social Media for Suicide Using Advanced Deep Learning Models in Japan: Time Series Study From 2012 to 2022 In: Journal of Medical Internet Research, 25, 1 - 1