Kevin White is an Associate Professor of Art at RMIT. He is an internationally renowned ceramic artist educated in England and Japan.
Kevin completed his BA (Honours) in Fine Art at Leeds Polytechnic in 1977 and in 1978 was awarded a prestigious Japanese Ministry of Education (Monbusho) scholarship for postgraduate research in Ceramics, in Japan. He studied under the late Professor Yutaka Kondo at Kyoto City University of Fine Art and then worked for three years in the Kyoto studio of Satoshi Sato, a member of the 'Sodeisha' group of contemporary ceramic artists. In 1983 he returned to London where he completed his Master of Arts at the Royal College of Art.
Japanese and Chinese porcelain and blue and white underglaze and onglaze enamel decoration. Contemporary studio porcelain production.
2006 – Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne
2004 – Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne
2003 – Beaver Galleries, Canberra
2002 – Finders Lane Gallery, Melbourne
2004 – ’Celebrating the Master II’, Skepsi Galeery, Melbourne
2003 – ’Fifty Years of Australian Ceramics’, curated by Gillian McCracken, Newcastle City Art Gallery
Mon-Xi Wu, DFA, Senior Supervisor, 'Organic Abstraction.Sculptural Ceramics that Explore Natural Form with Reference to the Chinese Philosophic Concept of Yin and Yang'
Sara Tse, DFA, Senior Supervisor, 'Ceramic Casting and the Commemoration of the Vanished Object'
Pauline Lam, DFA, Senior Supervisor, 'The Recontextualisation of Everyday Objects as Metaphors for the Contemporary Revaluation of Chinese Mythology'
Chester Chu, DFA, Senior Supervisor, 'Painting and Architectural Space'
Cicy Ching, DFA, Senior Supervisor, project yet to be finalised
Denise Chen, DFA, Senior Supervisor, project yet to be finalised
Margaret Yeung, DFA, Senior Supervisor, 'A Changing Landscape: The Integration of Computer Generated Mark-Making and Text with Traditional Chinese Painting'
Timothy Lee, DFA, Second Supervisor, project yet to be finalised
Lucille Shen, DFA, Second Supervisor, 'A Visual Exploration of Formation and Change in Cultural Consciousness in Hong Kong'
Esther Liu, DFA, Second Supervisor, project yet to be finalised
Stella Tang, DFA, Second Supervisor, 'The Veiled Self – Revealing and Concealing: Issues of Cultural Identity in Modern Hong Kong'
Evelyna Khan, DFA, Second Supervisor, 'A Re-Interpretation of C hinese Landscape Painting Through an Investigation of the Chinese Philosophy of ’Qi Yun Sang Dong'
Steven Lam, DFA, Second Supervisor, 'Portraiture – Behind the Faces'
Garry Bish, Ph.D., 'The Third Composition: The Enigma of Pictorial Visual Illusion and its Representation on Three Dimensional Ceramic Form'
- BA(Hons) 1977
- MA 1985
- White, K. (2013). The Flying Doctorate In: Supervising Practices for Postgraduate Research in Art, Architecture and Design, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- White, K. (2013). Floor Talk at NGV In: Artist Floor Talk: Japanese Influences Melbourne, Australia
- White, K. (2011). Three Porcelain Vessels In: Tooth and Nail. Cross Cultural Influences in Contemporary Ceramics Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
- White, K. (2009). Untitled (Porcelain vessell II) In: Bravura: 21st Century Australian Craft: incorporating the Maude Vizard-Wholohan Art Purchase Awards 2009 Adelaide, Australia
- White, K.,Ho, S. (2008). Interaction In: RMIT Gallery Melbourne, Australia
- White, K. (2008). From the Earth In: Deakin University Art Gallery Melbourne, Australia
- White, K. (2007). Kevin White - Porcelain In: Canberra, Australia
- White, K. (2006). The ceramics of Zhang Jingjing In: Ceramics-Art and Perception, 64, 59 - 61
- White, K. (2004). Kevin White - Porcelain In: Melbourne, Australia
- White, K. (2004). Vessel Diverse In: Sydney, Australia
21 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions