Alex lectures in Communication Design at the School of Media and Communication. He conducts Drawing and Illustration lectures and workshops for first, second, and third year students.
Alex conducts Drawing and Illustration lectures and workshops to students from Singapore in semester 1.
Victorian College of the Arts Traveling Grant 1986 Australia Council – Rome Studio Residency 1999.
Alex has been an examiner for the Masters of Fine Art program at the Victorian College of the Arts – Melbourne University.
Alex’s research involves his creative practice. After completing his degree at the Victorian College of the Arts in 1985 he was awarded a Study Grant that took him to Europe. The following year his work was included in 'A New Generation Exhibition', at the Australian National Gallery in Canberra. The following are a number of exhibitions in which he has participated: 1999 Deacons Graham And James Art Prize at the Ian Potter Museum Melbourne, the Paris Art Fair in France in 2002, 'Other Cities' at the Latrobe Regional Gallery in 2004, and 'Rome Academici' in 2005 at the Monash University Faculty Gallery in Melbourne and at the British School in Rome.
Alex’s artwork is in the collection of the NGV, Lander and Rogers, Artbank, and the Deakin University Art Collection. In 1998 he completed his Masters of Fine Arts at the VCA – University of Melbourne after which he received an Australia Council studio in Rome. In 2008 he completed an art commission for the Melbourne Cricket Club, which hangs in the new members stand at the MCG. His most recent exhibitions were held in 2012 at the Italian Institute of culture in Melbourne and in 2013 at the Deakin University Art Gallery, Melbourne.
Alex has been teaching for more than 20 years. He has been involved in various community projects and has taught at Trinity Grammar School as well as The School of Early Childhood, Latrobe University.
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Victorian College of the Arts, 1985
Masters of Fine Arts, University of Melbourne/Victorian College of the Arts, 1998
Projects, commissions, collaborations, awards and affiliations
2008 – Residency, Westbourne Grammar artist in schools project
1999 – Awarded, Australia Council, Rome Studio Residency – $10,000
1992 – Residency, Victorian Ministry of the Arts Artist, St Columbus artist in schools project – $2,000
1987–1988 – Residency, 200 Gertrude Street Studios, Melbourne, Victoria
1986 – Awarded, Victorian College of the Arts, Italian Travel Grant – $4,000
- Zubryn, A. (2019). Shop Talk In: Shop Talk Melbourne, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2016). A Discarded Geology In: Bayside Acquisitive Art Prize 2016 Melbourne, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2014). Daintree In: John Leslie Art Prize 2014 Sale, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2013). Alex Zubryn: The urban experience people, nature and place In: Alex Zubryn: The Urban Experience People, Nature and Place Melbourne, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2012). Roman Sites - an exhibition of paintings disceminating locations in both Rome and Melbourne In: Melbourne, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2011). Hard Rubbish In: Chapman and Bailey Gallery Melbourne, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2008). From The Stand In: From the Stand Melbourne, Australia
- Zubryn, A. (2005). Second Nature XVIII and Second Nature XX (in Academici: The Australia Council, Visual Arts/Crafts Board Rome Studio Residency 1999-2004) In: Melbourne/Australia Rome/Italy