When your course will be available in Canvas
If your course has already started, it will appear in Canvas 24 hours after you add it in Enrolment Online. Courses should appear seven days before the official course start date.
If you have further questions, contact your teacher/course coordinator.
What is Canvas?
In response to coronavirus (COVID-19), RMIT learning and teaching activities have moved online. Lectures will be recorded and available on Canvas and tutorials will be delivered through Canvas' webinar tools Collaborate Ultra or Microsoft Teams.
To access Canvas and participate in your classes, you will need the following:
- A computer or other suitable device
- Internet access via a supported browser
- Headphones/earbuds with microphone
If there are other specific requirements for your course, your Course Coordinator will let you know.
- Collaborate Ultra Student Guide (PDF) - How to access and use Collaborate Ultra (Canvas' webinar tool), and access past recordings
- Online Learning Quick Guide (PDF) - Quick tips about online etiquette and getting the most out of online learning
- Submitting an assessment via Canvas (Turnitin) - instructions on how to submit assessments via Canvas
The Canvas Community has a wealth of knowledge. Including guides, and forums where you can ask people for help. Should you have any questions, here is a good place to search your query. Because there’s a very good chance someone else has asked that same question before.
Canvas top tips
|1. View the video above to learn how to log in to and navigate Canvas.|
2. Go to Account > Notifications and make sure the Announcement field is set to Notify me right away and Push Notifications are turned on.
It is recommended that you download the Canvas app for your smartphone. The SMS function will only be used for communicating announcements and grading information.
3. If you can’t see your course on your Canvas dashboard, then click on Courses in the navigation panel to the left of your dashboard. Scroll down and select All courses at the bottom. If your missing course is in the All courses list, click on the star symbol next to it to make it appear on the dashboard.
If you still can’t see your course this might be because it's still being prepared. Your teachers have been working hard to get your course content ready. It’s a big process, so we’re being careful to make sure we get it right, but rest assured they’ll be up there soon.
If you have any concerns about your course not being on Canvas, then please contact your teacher/course coordinator.
If you need technical support, the details (including 24/7 live chat) are available in the navigation bar on your Canvas dashboard.
|4. Find each of your courses assignments by going to your Canvas Dashboard, click on a course, then select Assignments. Familiarise yourself with your assignments and when they’re due.|
|5. Add to your Profile so that teachers and other students can quickly identify you in course discussions.|
|6. Download the Canvas Student app for mobile devices and allow notifications. This is important as teachers may communicate room changes to you through Canvas announcements.|
If you need access to Canvas or are having technical issues, please contact the IT Service and Support Centre.
If you require assistance using Canvas, you can find a help option within Canvas on the bottom left of the global navigation. From here you can access the Canvas Chat or call the student hotline on +61 1800 910 175 and staff hotline on +61 1800 861 359. These are both available 24/7.