Follow these steps to apply for a research program.
- Familiarise yourself with the eligibility criteria and how to apply process.
- Review potential research scholarships and their closing dates.
- Determine your method of application from the table below.
- Check and complete the selection tasks (if applicable) by the relevant closing date (local applicants and applicants studying outside Australia only) – these tasks will be listed in the program entry requirements.
- Complete and submit your application.
Applying for a
PhD or Master by Research program
There are two methods of application depending on your residency type and location of study.
a) Australian citizens and Permanent Residents
b) New Zealand citizens
c) Holders of permanent refugee and humanitarian visas
|2018 admission: 2018 Postgraduate research admission application form (PDF 738KB 4p).|
Internationals applying to study in Australia
|Apply online for a program offer.
|Internationals applying to study outside of Australia
||2018 admission: 2018 Postgraduate research admission application form (PDF 738KB 4p).
Applying for a scholarship
Scholarship applications are now closed.
Application closing dates
Domestic applicants seeking admission to candidature only can expect to receive
International admissions are available to commence at the start of any month (subject to School approval).
To secure your place, you must accept the offer received and
Applicants are encouraged to apply 3-4 months prior to the program commencement date. Places are offered subject to availability.
Preparing your application
Our application process asks you for evidence of your ability to complete a research degree and details of your previous professional experience and formal qualifications so that your application can be properly assessed.
- Professional experience: Provide details (including duration) of any professional experience, previous and current, relevant to your application. You can also include details of relevant professional development such as workshops and conferences.
- Publication details and/or folio: If you have authored, exhibited or produced works relevant to your application please provide full details of the publication or exhibition including
levelof authorship, extentof involvement and whether the work was refereed, assessed or judged. Attach the front page for text publications or the relevant page of an exhibition catalogueor program.
- Research experience: Please provide details of any research experience relevant to your application. Research experience can include involvement in other forms of original work,
authorshipand creativity. If any of the qualifications you list involve research please provide specific details.
Ensure that you include the required certified copies of all supporting documents, your research proposal and any additional documentation requested (i.e. selection tasks etc) before you submit your application.
Admission to candidature
All applications will be assessed against the entry criteria for higher degrees by research. For further details on the entry criteria for the research
Australian Sanctions Laws – International applicants
RMIT University is subject to Australian sanctions laws that may affect your eligibility to
- does not present a significant risk of a breach of sanctions legislation and may be considered for admission
clearlypresents a significant risk of a breach of sanctions legislation, and that the application must be denied
- presents a significant risk of a breach of sanctions legislation, but such compelling circumstances exist that the application should be submitted to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for further advice and consideration.
Applicants from sanctioned countries are encouraged to apply early and allow additional time for the review of their application.
For more information about Australian sanctions laws, including how they are implemented and enforced and the countries affected, please visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
HDR Admissions Officer
Phone: +61 3 9925 5570
HDR Scholarships Officer
Phone: +61 3 9925 5570