Information for sponsored students

Definition of a sponsored student

RMIT classifies a sponsored student as:

  • Tuition fees are paid by an external organisation (not an individual), such as a government agency, large organisation or overseas university 
  • RMIT invoices the sponsor organisation for tuition fees, OSHC and administration fees 
  • The sponsor provides an individual Financial Guarantee to RMIT for each student, forming a contract for the payment of fees
  • RMIT's Sponsorship Development Team provide academic monitoring reports to the Sponsor for each study period

Application process

There are some important requirements for sponsored students to be aware of.

Sponsored students follow the same process to Apply to RMIT as other International students. If you already have an offer please see Accept your offer – Sponsored students.

Payment of fees

Sponsors are only invoiced for tuition fees, Student Services and Amenities fees (SSAF) and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Students will need to pay fees for materials, fines, late enrolment or excursions.

Invoices are sent directly to the sponsor twice a year, in April and September. Sponsors will pay RMIT University directly.

Students should note that if their sponsorship does not cover the full amount of tuition fees they will be required to pay any ‘gap payment’.

Some sponsors provide funds directly to students. If you are receiving funds directly from your sponsor towards your tuition fees, you will need to inform and pay your fees on receipt of an invoice from RMIT.

Academic performance requirements

As an international student you are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout your program.

Failure to achieve this will lead to you being deemed ‘at risk’, and can lead to exclusion from your program. Please refer to RMIT’s academic progress policy and procedures.

A student who has been found to have unsatisfactory academic performance for a second teaching period in the same program may be deemed to have established unsatisfactory academic progress.

For compliance reasons, RMIT is required to report students who have made unsatisfactory academic progress within their RMIT program to the Department of Home Affairs. Such a report can lead to the cancellation of the student visa. Students are notified of the University’s decision to report to Department of Home Affairs, and of their right to appeal this decision.

Sponsored students who are reported to Department of Home Affairs for low attendance or for unsatisfactory academic performance should contact the Sponsorships Development Team to discuss what will happen:

Tutorial assistance

If you are worried about your academic progress, please contact the Sponsorships Development Team. We can coordinate with other areas in the university to organise tutorial assistance to help you maintain normal academic progress.

You can also access the services available at the following:

  • Study and Learning Centre, where staff can offer free assistance in English language, study skills, academic writing and undergraduate Maths and Science.
  • Student Support where staff provide guidance, support and advice on international student issues.

In addition, some sponsors (including Australia Awards) will help pay for tutorial assistance if you can provide a letter from your tutor/lecturer/course advisor to support that extra tuition is recommended.

Academic reporting

By default, the Sponsorships Development Team will send a transcript of results to your sponsor at the end of each semester.

Unsatisfactory academic progress and low attendance will also be highlighted to your sponsor on an ongoing basis.

However, it is student’s obligation to inform us whether they want this information to be released to their sponsor.

For completing students, the Sponsorships Development Team sends the official Statement of Academic Completion and academic transcript to sponsors approximately within 10 working days of the results release date.

Changing your enrolment

Changes to your studies can affect your student visa and your sponsorship. As a sponsored student you need to inform and seek your sponsor’s approval to:

As an international student, you are eligible to change programs within RMIT University. However, being a sponsored student, changing programs may have implications on your sponsorship. When you are considering a change, it is important that you discuss it first with the Sponsorships Development Team including with your sponsor.

You should apply online to change program. The Sponsorships Development Team will liaise with your sponsor for the approval.

As a sponsored student, if you do not complete the program by the sponsorship end date indicated in the Financial Guarantee, it is your responsibility to contact the sponsor to lodge an extension request (except Australia Awards students). On the extension request being approved, a new Financial Guarantee will need to be provided for the extended time by your sponsor.

To renew your student visa, you need to apply for a new electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

Once you receive a new eCOE you could refer to Visa renewal process webpage on how to renew your student visa.

As a sponsored student you must get approval from your sponsor to defer your scholarship.The Sponsorships Development Team can help you seek the support of your sponsor.

You will need to provide evidence of your sponsor's approval with your leave of absence application. 

Your leave will also need to be authorised by International Compliance and then approved by your Head of School.

Find out how to apply for leave of absence.

If you are granted leave of absence, you must leave Australia within 28 days. If you are away for more than six months, your visa may be cancelled.

Please contact the Department of Home Affairs for information about your visa before submitting a leave of absence application.

As a sponsored student, if you wish to cancel your program at RMIT and transfer to another education provider, you must provide written confirmation or a new financial guarantee from your sponsor that they consider the change to be in your best interest.

To apply for a release from RMIT you must complete Application to Transfer Education Provider

Once a release is granted, RMIT will cancel your program enrolment.

Find out transferring to another education provider.

For more information visit the Visa conditions webpage or contact the Sponsorship Development Team.

Bookings and appointments

Appointments can be made by contacting

Key contacts

Sponsorship Development Team 


Australia Awards Student Contact Officer (SCO)


aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business. - Artwork created by Louisa Bloomer