Dr Rhett D'Costa teaches Painting in both RMIT University, Melbourne and as part of RMIT University’s undergraduate programme in Hong Kong.
Rhett D’Costa was born in Bombay, India and migrated to Australia at an early age. Rhett has lectured variously across a range of Universities and Colleges including La Trobe University, Bendigo Campus, Monash University, Gippsland Campus, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore and is currently a lecturer in Painting at RMIT University.
Rhett has sat on various committees, including Board Member, Victorian Tapestry Workshop and the Castlemaine State Festival. As well as sitting on working committees for the Singapore government on Culture and the Arts. he has been invited on to judging panels for distinguished painting prizes including the Sieman’s Fine Art Scholarships, Melbourne, the UOB Painting Prize, Singapore and the Phillip Morris Asean Art Awards, Asia.
Rhett has been a professional practicing artist for more than 23 years, exhibiting in more than 12 solo shows and numerous group and curated exhibitions both within Australia and overseas His artistic practice extends across drawing, painting and installation processes and examines issues relating to Abstraction, Modernism and Modernity both within and outside of a Western trajectory. His research draws on his dual background of British and Indian culture within the context of postcolonial theory, Subaltern Studies and current global art practice in order to determine what shifts occur when modernism is looked at without demarcated Occidental distinctions.
Currently undertaking PhD, RMIT University
MA (Fine Art), 1990
BA (Fine Art), 1985
2009 Plays and Wins, Gippsland Art Gallery, Sale, Victoria.
2008 Little Thought / Secret Pictures, Gallery 101, Melbourne
2008 Possible Worlds, Switchback Gallery, Monash University, Melbourne
2004 Harmony and Counterpoint, (3 person show), Gallery 101, Melbourne.
2002 Neutral Reading, Gallery 101,Melbourne.
1999 Recent Paintings and Works on Paper, Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1998 Memory and Slowness, Caldwell House Gallery, Singapore.
1994 Recent Paintings, Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1992 Breathing, Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1990 Recent Paintings, Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1990 Master of Arts Assessment Exhibition, Lower Storey Hall, Melbourne.
1990 Misrememberings, Gold St. Gallery, Melbourne.
2010 Wall Works and Other Projects, Gallery 101, Melbourne
2010 The Secret Files of the Working Men’s College, Project Space / Spare Room Gallery, RMIT University
2010 Something in the Air, Gallery 101, Melbourne.
2010 Drawing in/ Drawing Out, Project Space, RMIT University.
2009 A World of Art, The Seoul Museum of Art, South Korea.
2009 The World of Drawing, Sungshin Museum, South Korea.
2009 Quiet! Stephen Mc Laughlin Gallery, Melbourne.
2008 Robert Jacks Drawing Prize, Bendigo Art Gallery, Victoria.
2008 Secondary Sources, RMIT Faculty Gallery, School of Art, RMIT University.
2007 Electric Valley Studios , Switchback Gallery, Monash University, Victoria
2003 2003 Arthur Guy Inaugral Painting Prize, Bendigo Art Gallery, Victoria
2002 Melbourne Art Fair Royal Exhibition Buildings, Melbourne.
2000 Works on Paper Sungshin Museum, Seoul, Korea.
1999 National Works on Paper Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, Victoria.
1999 Ambulations. Contemporary works based on the Notion of Walking, Earl Lu Gallery, Singapore.
1999 Carte Blanche - A Drawing Exhibition Alliance Francaise, Singapore.
1998 SemiosisLASALLE Gallery, Singapore.
1998 Painting Now LASALLE Gallery, Singapore.
1997 Look Earl Lu Gallery, Singapore.
1996 Faculty Earl Lu Gallery, Singapore.
1996 Works on Paper Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1995 Faculty Artists School of Fine Art LASALLE Gallery, Singapore.
1995 The Postcard Show LASALLE Gallery, Singapore.
1995 Interiors Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1995 Tenth R.M. Ansett Art Award Acquisitive Prize City of Hamilton Gallery.
1995 Paintings Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1993 Artworkz 5 Gallery 101, Melbourne.
1991 Young Artists New Works Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne
1990 Landscape Flinders Lane Gallery, Melbourne.
1990 1st Melbourne International Art Fair Exhibition Buildings, Melbourne.
1988 Masters Work in Progress RMIT Faculty Gallery, Melbourne.
1988 Mitchell College and Hobsons Press National Student Art Prize , NSW.
- D'Costa, R. (2013). Trade In: Periscope: Castlemaine State Festival Visual Arts Biennial 2013 Castlemaine, Victoria
- D'Costa, R. (2013). 1. Somersault, 2. Curtain, 3. Elsewhere, 4 Standard English In: Shimmering Spaces 3 Gippsland, Victoria
- D'Costa, R. (2013). Eat! My Son In: Periscope: Castlemaine State Festival Visual Arts Biennial Castlemaine, Victoria
- D'Costa, R. (2013). Witness In: Reading the Space and Contemporary Australian Drawing #4 New York, USA
- D'Costa, R.,Barberis-Page, I. (2011). Reading from Both Sides In: Cross the Line: Drawing in the Middle East, Intersections of Understanding. Dubai, UAE
- D'Costa, R. (2010). Brad in Secret Files from the Working Men's College In: Project Space and Spare Room Gallery Melbourne, Australia
- D'Costa, R. (2010). Colour Swatch In: Magnetic Islands Melbourne, Australia
- D'Costa, R. (2010). A Faded Rose from Days Gone By In: Something in the Air Melbourne, Australia
- D'Costa, R.,Kingston, R. (2009). Plays and wins: The time it takes In: Plays and Wins: The Time it Takes Gippsland Victoria, Australia
- D'Costa, R. (2009). Collapse In: Wall Works and Other Projects Melbourne, Australia
2 PhD Current Supervisions3 Prof Doc Completions