Dr Benno Engels is a lecturer at the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies at RMIT.
Urban and regional restructuring
Victorian state politics
Australian political economy
Public sector restructuring
Benno is a committed teacher and supervisor who seeks to share his passion and interest in politics and public policy with his students. At the present time, he teaches in state politics, comparative social policy, social planning and economics. He also retains a keen interest in the media and politics, urban political economy and socio-spatial analysis.
In the past, Benno has conducted research on the operation of urban housing markets, the political economy of Victoria and the politicisation of language in public policy discourse. More recently, he has been doing research on urban poverty and emergency relief, plus a locational analysis of services for the elderly in select parts of Victoria.
BA (Hons), Sydney
- Berry, M.,Engels, B. (2018). Global Prospects: The Asian Century? In: The New Oxford Handbook of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, Oxford, England
- Engels, B. (2018). The historical rise and fall of community facility provision standards in the metropolitan planning of Melbourne In: Planning Perspectives, 33, 1 - 32
- Engels, B. (2018). In the shadow of metropolitan planning: Local plan making in Melbourne, 1946-1976 In: Proceedings of the 14th Australasian Urban History Planning History Conference 2018, Melbourne, Australia, 31 January to 2 February 2018
- Engels, B.,Martin, S. (2017). The welfare state and neoliberalism in Australia: An historical overview In: Thinking About Poverty, The Federation Press, Leichhardt, Australia
- Engels, B. (2015). Re-thinking the relations between capitalism, urban development and historic shifts in planning practice In: Connections: Exploring Contemporary Planning Theory and Practice with Patsy Healey, Ashgate, United Kingdom
- Liu, G.,Engels, B. (2013). Determining the provision of resources for a spatially dispersed ageing population In: Progress in Geospatial Science Research, Melbourne, Australia, 12-14 December 2011
- Liu, G.,Engels, B. (2012). Accessibility to essential services and facilities by a spatially dispersed aging population in suburban Melbourne, Australia In: Advances in Location Based Services : 8th International Symposium on Location-Based Services, Vienna 2011 - Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, Springer-Verglag, Germany
- Engels, B.,Nissim, R.,Landvogt, K. (2012). Financial hardship and emergency relief in Victoria In: Australian Social Work, 65, 54 - 72
- Engels, B.,Liu, G. (2012). Ageing in place: the out-of-home travel patterns of seniors in Victoria and its policy implications In: Urban Policy and Research, Online, 1 - 22
- Engels, B.,Liu, G. (2011). Social exclusion, location and transport disadvantage amongst non-driving seniors in a Melbourne municipality, Australia In: Journal of Transport Geography, 19, 984 - 996
2 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions
- AHURI Postgraduate Scholarship Top-up (Liam Davies) "Neo-liberal housing policy in Victoria". Funded by: AHURI Scholarships (CAT 1) from (2018 to 2021)
- AHURI Postgraduate Top-up Scholarship - Cael Leskovec. Funded by: AHURI Top-Up Scholarship (part of the National Housing research Program) pre- 2014 from (2012 to 2015)
- Locational advantage and disadvantage for seniors in Victoria project. Funded by: Office of Seniors Victoria, Department of Victorian Communities Contract from (2006 to 2007)