Dr Nigel Goodman is a Vice-Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow. He is investigating indoor air quality as well as strategies and technologies to create healthier indoor environments.
Nigel is based in the School of Property, Construction and Project Management and is affiliated with the Urban Futures Enabling Capability Platform. His research aims to create healthier indoor environments. Nigel is currently investigating the types and concentrations of air pollutants within locations such as green buildings, high-rise apartments, and prefabricated structures. He is also evaluating strategies and technologies to improve indoor air quality.
Nigel completed his PhD in Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne in 2019. His research identified primary indoor air pollutants and understudied locations, such as educational environments. He evaluated indoor air quality at a major university, finding that green certified and renovated buildings had among the highest levels of indoor pollutants. He also assessed an approach to reduce residential emissions of air pollutants, demonstrating improvements up to 99%.
Prior to his PhD studies Nigel was employed as a scientist at CSIRO. He contributed to experimental programs in electrochemistry and corrosion and led projects on water recycling and water purification. While at CSIRO, he contributed to over 67 technical reports and delivered high quality scientific solutions for industry and the Australian community.
Nigel is a team member of the Indoor Air Quality project in the Clean Air Urban Landscapes (CAUL) Hub, where he collaborates with industry, academic, government, and indigenous community partners, and engages with the public. Nigel has published journal articles on topics that include indoor air quality, volatile organic compounds emissions, electrochemistry, desalination, water recycling, and pollutant exposures and effects.
My research interests include
- Indoor air quality
- Volatile organic compounds
- Fine and ultrafine particulate matter
- Air filtration technologies
- Low emission building materials and consumer products
I am currently working with partners from industry and academia to develop solutions that will help improve indoor air quality and create healthier indoor environments.
- International Society of Indoor Air Quality and Climate
- Australian Water Association
- Australian Corrosion Association
- Rajagopalan, P.,Goodman, N. (2021). Improving the Indoor Air Quality of Residential Buildings During Bushfire Smoke Events In: Climate, 9, 1 - 14
- Goodman, N.,Nematollah, N.,Agosti, G.,Steinemann, A. (2020). Evaluating air quality with and without air fresheners In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, 13, 1 - 4
- Steinemann, A.,Nematollahi, N.,Weinberg, J.,Flattery, J.,Goodman, N.,Kolev, S. (2020). Volatile chemical emissions from car air fresheners In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, 13, 1329 - 1334
- Goodman, N.,Nematollahi, N.,Steinemann, A. (2020). (In Press) Fragranced laundry products and emissions from dryer vents: implications for air quality and health In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, , 1 - 5
- Steinemann, A.,Nematollahi, N.,Rismanch, B.,Goodman, N.,Kolev, S. (2020). (In Press) Pandemic products and volatile chemical emissions In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, , 1 - 7
- Nematollahi, N.,Weinberg, J.,Flattery, J.,Goodman, N.,Kolev, S.,Steinemann, A. (2020). (In Press) Volatile chemical emissions from essential oils with therapeutic claims In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, , 1 - 5
- Goodman, N.,Steinemann, A. (2019). Fragranced consumer products and effects on asthmatics: an international population-based study In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, 12, 643 - 649
- Goodman, N.,Wheeler, A.,Paevere, P.,Agosti, G.,Nematollahi, N.,Steinemann, A. (2019). Emissions from dryer vents during use of fragranced and fragrance-free laundry products In: Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, 12, 289 - 295
- Goodman, N.,Wheeler, A.,Paevere, P.,Selleck, P.,Cheng, M.,Steinemann, A. (2018). Indoor volatile organic compounds at an Australian university In: Building and Environment, 135, 344 - 351
- Goodman, N.,Steinemann, A.,Wheeler, A.,Paevere, P.,Cheng, M.,Brown, S. (2017). Volatile organic compounds within indoor environments in Australia In: Building and Environment, 122, 116 - 125