Elizabeth Grierson is Professor of Art and Philosophy at RMIT University, a key researcher and a supervisor of doctorate candidates. She was Head of the School of Art from 2005 to 2012.
- PhD in philosophy of education (University of Auckland 2001). Thesis: The Politics of Knowledge: A poststructuralist approach to visual arts education in tertiary sites
- Juris Doctor (Distinction) (RMIT 2015)
- MA (1st Class Hons.) in Art History (University of Auckland 1990). Thesis: The Art of Louise Henderson 1925-1990
- BA in English (University of Auckland)
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (College of Law Victoria)
- Diploma of Teaching (Auckland College of Education)
- Licentiate Diploma of Speech and Drama (NZ Speech Board)
- Associate of Trinity College London in Speech and Drama (University of London)
During the Juris Doctor Elizabeth undertook intensive study on European economics, business and finance at the Business Faculty Winter School, University of Aarhus, Denmark. In 2014 she undertook a week’s legal clinic at the Supreme Court of Victoria Court of Appeal in conjunction with the RMIT Centre for Innovative Justice. Elizabeth has undertaken research in feminist jurisprudence, and legal approaches to cyberstalking and cyberbullying in Australia and New Zealand. In 2015 Elizabeth completed the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice with the College of Law Victoria, with supervised work experience at the Supreme Court of Victoria Court of Appeal Registry and the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, Melbourne. In 2014 she undertook a week’s legal clinic at the Supreme Court of Victoria Court of Appeal in conjunction with the RMIT Centre for Innovative Justice.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association [ANZELA]
- Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia [PESA]
- Law Institute of Victoria [LIV]
- International Society of Education through Art [InSEA]
Elizabeth has undertaken many advisory roles in art and education including as an advisor and writer of the Initial Advice Paper and Shaping Paper for the Australian National Curriculum: The Arts, and advisory committee work for the national arts curriculum in New Zealand.
- Advisor and co-writer of Shape Paper, Australian National Curriculum: the Arts.
- World Councillor InSEA International Society of Education through Art (2006-11)
- Board member ACUADS Australia Council of University Art and Design Schools and Art Education Australia
- International committee member Global Studies Association (UK)
- Head of Research at AUT School of Art and Design, NZ (1996-2005)
- Head of School at ASA School of Art, NZ (1994-1996)
- National President ANZAAE Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Art Educators (2001-05)
- Chair of Royal Society of Arts NZ.
- Grierson, E. (2017). (In Press) Trust and fiduciary relationships in education: What happens when trust is breached? In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, , 1 - 9
- Grierson, E. (2017). Re-imagining learning through art as experience: An aesthetic approach to education for life In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, , 1 - 12
- Grierson, E. (2016). Activating the creative arts and technology for a global digital economy: Provocations and challenges for a new philosophy In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 48, 1299 - 1309
- Peters, M.,Jandric, P.,Irwin, R.,Locke, K.,Devine, N.,Heraud, R.,Gibbons, A.,Besley, T.,White, J.,Forster, D.,Jackson, L.,Grierson, E.,Mika, C.,Stewart, G.,Tesar, M.,Brighouse, S.,Arndt, S.,Lazaroiu, G.,Mihaila, R.,Legg, C.,Benade, L. (2016). Towards a philosophy of academic publishing In: Educational Philosophy and Theory: Incorporating Access, 48, 1401 - 1425
- Grierson, E. (2015). Activating Aesthetics: Working with Heidegger and Bourdieu for engaged pedagogy In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 47, 546 - 562
- Grierson, E. (2015). Designing the city: interventions through art In: De-Signing Design: Cartographies of Theory and Practice, Lexington Books, Maryland, United States
- Grierson, E. (2013). Encountering the elephant parade: Intersections of aesthetics, ecology and economy In: Re-Imagining the City: Art, Globalization and Urban Spaces, Bristol Intellect, 2013, UK
- Grierson, E. (2013). Reflecting on a complex terrain: Art and text as generative praxis In: The Creative University, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Grierson, E. (2013). Languaging the local in the global: Across the Pacific and beneath southern skies In: Mapping South: Journeys in south-south cultural relations, The South Project Inc., Melbourne, Australia
- Grierson, E. (2013). From colonies to TEQSA: Vortices and thermals of legislative change In: Proceedings of the 2013 ANZELA Conference: Safe, Successful and Sustainable Education - Is the Law a Sword or a Shield?, Hobart, Tasmania, 2-4 October 2013
- Designing sound for health and wellbeing. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2008 Round 1 from (2008 to 2011)
- AHURI Top-Up Scholarship - Tammy Wong: The City as a Curated Space: Towards the Creative City. Funded by: AHURI Top-Up Scholarship (part of the National Housing research Program) pre- 2014 from (2008 to 2011)
1 PhD Current Supervisions2 Prof Doc Completions and 12 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions