Elizabeth Grierson is Professor of Art and Philosophy at RMIT University, a key researcher and a supervisor of doctorate candidates. She was Head of the School of Art from 2005 to 2012.
- PhD in philosophy of education (University of Auckland 2001). Thesis: The Politics of Knowledge: A poststructuralist approach to visual arts education in tertiary sites
- Juris Doctor (Distinction) (RMIT 2015)
- MA (1st Class Hons.) in Art History (University of Auckland 1990). Thesis: The Art of Louise Henderson 1925-1990
- BA in English (University of Auckland)
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (College of Law Victoria)
- Diploma of Teaching (Auckland College of Education)
- Licentiate Diploma of Speech and Drama (NZ Speech Board)
- Associate of Trinity College London in Speech and Drama (University of London)
During the Juris Doctor Elizabeth undertook intensive study on European economics, business and finance at the Business Faculty Winter School, University of Aarhus, Denmark. In 2014 she undertook a week’s legal clinic at the Supreme Court of Victoria Court of Appeal in conjunction with the RMIT Centre for Innovative Justice. Elizabeth has undertaken research in feminist jurisprudence, and legal approaches to cyberstalking and cyberbullying in Australia and New Zealand. In 2015 Elizabeth completed the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice with the College of Law Victoria, with supervised work experience at the Supreme Court of Victoria Court of Appeal Registry and the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, Melbourne. In 2014 she undertook a week’s legal clinic at the Supreme Court of Victoria Court of Appeal in conjunction with the RMIT Centre for Innovative Justice.
- Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association [ANZELA]
- Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia [PESA]
- Law Institute of Victoria [LIV]
- International Society of Education through Art [InSEA]
Elizabeth has undertaken many advisory roles in art and education including as an advisor and writer of the Initial Advice Paper and Shaping Paper for the Australian National Curriculum: The Arts, and advisory committee work for the national arts curriculum in New Zealand.
- Advisor and co-writer of Shape Paper, Australian National Curriculum: the Arts.
- World Councillor InSEA International Society of Education through Art (2006-11)
- Board member ACUADS Australia Council of University Art and Design Schools and Art Education Australia
- International committee member Global Studies Association (UK)
- Head of Research at AUT School of Art and Design, NZ (1996-2005)
- Head of School at ASA School of Art, NZ (1994-1996)
- National President ANZAAE Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Art Educators (2001-05)
- Chair of Royal Society of Arts NZ.
- Grierson, E. (2019). Calling for change: A feminist approach to women in art, politics, philosophy and education In: Educational Philosophy And Theory, 51, 731 - 743
- Grierson, E. (2018). Trust and fiduciary relationships in education: What happens when trust is breached? In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 50, 203 - 211
- Peters, M.,White, E.,Grierson, E.,Stewart, G.,Devine, N.,Craw, J.,Gibbons, A.,Jandric, P.,Novak, R.,Heraud, R.,Locke, K. (2018). Ten theses on the the shift from (static) text to (moving) image In: Open Review of Educational Research, 5, 56 - 94
- Jackson, L.,Peters, M.,Benade, L.,Grierson, E., et al, . (2018). Is peer review in academic publishing still working? In: Open Review of Educational Research, 5, 95 - 112
- Grierson, E. (2017). Re-imagining learning through art as experience: An aesthetic approach to education for life In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 49, 1246 - 1256
- Jandric, P.,Devine, N.,Jackson, L.,et al, .,Grierson, E. (2017). Collective writing: An inquiry into praxis In: Knowledge Cultures, 5, 85 - 108
- Stewart, G.,Arndt, S.,Besley, T.,Grierson, E et al., . (2017). Antipodean theory for educational research In: Open Review of Educational Research, 4, 61 - 74
- Grierson, E. (2016). Activating the creative arts and technology for a global digital economy: Provocations and challenges for a new philosophy In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 48, 1299 - 1309
- Peters, M.,Jandric, P.,Irwin, R.,Locke, K.,Devine, N.,Heraud, R.,Gibbons, A.,Besley, T.,White, J.,Forster, D.,Jackson, L.,Grierson, E.,Mika, C.,Stewart, G.,Tesar, M.,Brighouse, S.,Arndt, S.,Lazaroiu, G.,Mihaila, R.,Legg, C.,Benade, L. (2016). Towards a philosophy of academic publishing In: Educational Philosophy and Theory: Incorporating Access, 48, 1401 - 1425
- Grierson, E. (2015). Designing the city: interventions through art In: De-Signing Design: Cartographies of Theory and Practice, Lexington Books, Maryland, United States
- Designing sound for health and wellbeing. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2008 Round 1 from (2008 to 2011)
- AHURI Top-Up Scholarship - Tammy Wong: The City as a Curated Space: Towards the Creative City. Funded by: AHURI Top-Up Scholarship (part of the National Housing research Program) pre- 2014 from (2008 to 2011)
15 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions