Dr Yi David Ju
Yi (David) Ju is an ARC DECRA Fellow, Victoria Fellow, and Vice-Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellow in School of Science at RMIT University. His research focuses on understanding the interactions between nanomaterials and the immune system and developing advanced nanomaterials for biotechnology and medicine.
Yi (David) Ju received his Ph.D. degree from The University of Melbourne in 2017 under the supervision of Frank Caruso. Following his Ph.D. completion, he held a Research Fellow position in the same group exploring various stealth nanomaterials for controlled bio–nano interactions and served as a Co-Leader (2017–2021) of the Signature Project 'Mediating Protein Interactions' within the Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio–Nano Science and Technology (CBNS). He moved to RMIT University in 2021 to take up a three-year Vice-Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowship and received the Victoria Fellowship from Victorian State Government in the same year. In 2022, he received an ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) to study the interactions between nanomaterials and the immune system.
He has been an Honorary Fellow in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Department of Chemical Engineering at The University of Melbourne since 2021. He is a visiting researcher in the Nanomedicine Lab at the University of Manchester in 2023.
Full list of publications can be found at:
Follow him at:
- Twitter: @David_Yi_Ju
Awards and prizes
- Enabling Capability Platform Activity Funding, RMIT University (2022).
- 2020 Most Significant CBNS Publication Award, ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology (2021).
- CBNS Career Development Award, ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology (2020).
- Outstanding Postdoctoral Researcher Award, Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, The University of Melbourne (2019).
- Nanoscale Advances Oral Prize from Royal Society of Chemistry at the 10th International Nanomedicine Conference held in Sydney (2019).
- Reviewer Excellence Award for Chemistry of Materials, American Chemical Society (2017).
- Best Tutor Award, Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, The University of Melbourne (2014).
- Best Biomedical Engineering Project Award, School of Engineering, The University of Melbourne (2012).
Research support income
- Sole CI for ARC DECRA (DE230101542) (2023–2025).
- Sole CI for VC2 COVID-19 Research Seed Funding Grant from Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity (2023–2024).
- Sole CI for 2021 Victoria Fellowship from Victorian State Government.
- Co-CI for ARC Discovery Project (DP210103114) (2021–2023).
- Sole CI for Vice-Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowship, RMIT University (2021–2024).
- Sole CI for The Early Career Researcher Grant, The University of Melbourne (2020).
- 2017: Doctor of Philosophy (Materials Chemistry), The University of Melbourne, Australia
- 2012: Master of Engineering (Biomedical Engineering) with Distinction, The University of Melbourne, Australia
- Impact of humoral immunity on nanoparticle–biological interactions. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2023 from (2023 to 2026)
- Impact of Biological Coatings on Nanoparticle–Immune Cell Interactions (administered by The University of Melbourne). Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2021 from (2021 to 2023)
- Li, W.,Xie, L.,Ju, Y.,Zhang, Z.,Li, B.,Li, J.,Sang, W.,Wang, G.,Tian, H.,Dai, Y. (2022). A “three musketeers” tactic for inclining interferon-? as a comrade-in-arm to reinforce the synergistic-tumoricidal therapy In: Nano Research, 15, 3458 - 3470
- Gao, Z.,Li, X.,Zhao, K.,Ju, Y., et al, . (2022). Confined microemulsion sono-polymerization of poly(ethylene glycol) nanoparticles for targeted delivery In: Chemical Communications, 58, 7777 - 7780
- Li, S.,Ju, Y.,Zhou, J.,Faria, M.,Ang, C.,Mitchell, A.,Zhong, Q.,Zheng, T.,Kent, S.,Caruso, F. (2022). Protein precoating modulates biomolecular coronas and nanocapsule-immune cell interactions in human blood In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 10, 7607 - 7621
- Ju, Y.,Liao, H.,Richardson, J.,Guo, J.,Caruso, F. (2022). Nanostructured particles assembled from natural building blocks for advanced therapies In: Chemical Society Reviews, 51, 4287 - 4336
- Tian, Y.,Gao, Z.,Ju, Y.,Cui, J., et al, . (2022). Engineering Poly(ethylene glycol) Nanoparticles for Accelerated Blood Clearance Inhibition and Targeted Drug Delivery In: Journal of the American Chemical Society, 144, 18419 - 18428
- Wojnilowicz, M.,Ju, Y.,Plebanski, M.,Caruso, F., et al, . (2022). Influence of protein corona on the interaction of glycogen–siRNA constructs with ex vivo human blood immune cells In: Biomaterials Advances, 140, 1 - 13
- Ju, Y.,Lee, W.,Pilkington, E.,Plebanski, M., et al., . (2022). Anti-PEG Antibodies Boosted in Humans by SARS-CoV-2 Lipid Nanoparticle mRNA Vaccine In: ACS Nano, 16, 11769 - 11780
- Song, J.,Ju, Y.,Mettu, S.,Caruso, F., et al, . (2021). Influence of Poly(Ethylene Glycol) Molecular Architecture on Particle Assembly and Ex Vivo Particle–Immune Cell Interactions in Human Blood In: ACS Nano, 15, 10025 - 10038
- Spoljaric, S.,Ju, Y.,Caruso, F. (2021). Protocols for Reproducible, Increased-Scale Synthesis of Engineered Particles - Bridging the "upscaling Gap" In: Chemistry of Materials, 33, 1099 - 1115
- Lin, G.,Cortez-Jugo, C.,Ju, Y.,Besford, Q.,Ryan, T.,Pan, S.,Richardson, J.,Caruso, F. (2021). Microemulsion-Assisted Templating of Metal-Stabilized Poly(Ethylene Glycol) Nanoparticles In: Biomacromolecules, 22, 612 - 619
1 PhD Current Supervisions