Experienced leader in soils and underground engineering passionate about translating scientific research outcomes for advancing practice in Australian infrastructure sector.
Dilan is an expert in geotechnical engineering and passionate about delivering implementable research outcomes in practice. He has over 15 years’ experience in geotechnical and underground infrastructure projects. He obtained his first degree (2005) from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka and the PhD degree (2011) from University of Cambridge, UK. Prior to his role at RMIT (since 2014), he has worked 2 years as a Geotechnical Engineer in the UK and 2 years as a Research Fellow at Monash University, Australia.
His research areas include pipelines, road pavements, soil stabilization, waste recycling, soil-structure interaction analysis, offshore geotechnics, unsaturated soils, constitutive modelling of soil and concrete, and corrosion assessment of buried metals. He is the Director of Research and Education at Centre for Pavement Excellence Asia Pacific Ltd and Fellow of Australia-India strategic research fund (AISRF). Dilan is a Chief Investigator for many ongoing state/national/industry projects with value over $5 million. He has published over 150 technical papers since 2011 across his wide research areas and interests.
- PhD in Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK, 2011.
- B.Sc. Engineering Honours (1st Class & Gold Medallist), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University, Australia, 2014.
- Chartered Civil Engineer, 2019.
Prior to his academic positions in Australia since 2012, Dilan has worked overseas as a practising engineer to obtain 4 years of industry experience across number of infrastructure projects as briefed below.
- Geotechnical Engineer, KW Ltd, London, UK (2010-2012)
At KW, Ltd, Dilan worked as a subsea geotechnical engineering on various offshore pipeline projects in responsible of upheaval buckling analysis, reliability analysis, shore approach, slope stability, trencheability, expansion, pile design, backfilling assessments, settlement calculations and geotechnical data review.
- Civil Engineer, State Engineering Corporation (SEC), Sri Lanka (2005-2006)
At SEC, Dilan has experienced in all aspects of casting the pre-stressed and precast concrete structures such as bridge beams, electricity transition poles, hume pipes, hollow blocks, building components and other precast reinforced concrete items. Further, he managed more than 150 direct labourers at the construction site and worked in coordination with the subordinate staff.
- Research Engineer, Lanka Hydraulic Institute (LHI), Sri Lanka (2004-2005)
Dilan worked as a mathematical modeller at LHI for the construction of fishing harbours and ports.
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Giustozzi, F.,Setunge, S.,Venkatesan, S. (2022). Stabilisation of expansive soils subjected to moisture fluctuations in unsealed road pavements In: International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 23, 558 - 570
- Pateriya, A.,Robert, D.,Dharavath, K.,Soni, S. (2022). Stabilization of marble wastes using cement and nano materials for subgrade applications In: Construction and Building Materials, 326, 1 - 18
- Dayarathne, R.,Hawlader, B.,Phillips, R.,Robert, D. (2022). One- and two-dimensional finite element modelling of thaw consolidation In: Canadian Geotechnical Journal, , 1 - 15
- Robert, D.,Chan, D.,Rajeev, P.,Kodikara, J. (2022). Effects of operational loads on buried water pipes using field tests In: Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 124, 1 - 17
- Yuan, Q.,Mohajerani, A.,Kristoforus, A.,Kurmus, H.,Chowdhury, U.,Robert, D.,Pramanik, B.,Tran, J. (2022). Recycling cigarette butts in ceramic tiles In: Buildings, 12, 1 - 13
- Fernando, K.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R.,Robert, D. (2022). Environmental evaluation and economic analysis of fly ash-rice husk ash blended alkali-activated bricks In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 95, 1 - 12
- Abdul Majeed, Z.,Robert, D.,Zhou, A.,Giustozzi, F.,Setunge, S.,Kodikara, J. (2022). Application of coal fly ash in pavement subgrade stabilisation: A review In: Journal of Environmental Management, 312, 1 - 18
- Thusyanthan, I.,Robert, D. (2021). Uplift Resistance of Pipelines Buried in Compacted and Uncompacted Sands Using Field Tests In: Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 147, 1 - 9
- Xin, Y.,Kurmus, H.,Mohajerani, A.,Dallol, Y.,Lao, Y.,Robert, D.,Pramanik, B.,Tran, J. (2021). Recycling Crushed Waste Beer Bottle Glass in Fired Clay Bricks In: Buildings, 11, 1 - 14
- Robert, D.,Baez, E.,Setunge, S. (2021). A new technology of transforming recycled glass waste to construction components In: Construction and Building Materials, 313, 1 - 10
- Novel Recycled Plastic Products for Structural Applications. Funded by: Sustainability Victoria - Recycling Victoria Research & Development Fund from (2022 to 2024)
- ARC Research Hub for Transformation of Reclaimed Waste Resources to Engineered Materials and Solutions for a Circular Economy (TREMS). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2026)
- Development of high content recycled glass building material technology. Funded by: CRC-P Cooperative Research Centre Project (Livefield) from (2021 to 2023)
- IH18.04.4b: Development of a smart pavement asset management platform combining traffic models, pavement construction data, condition assessment data, traffic management, multi-sensor information and optimised rehabilitation strategies (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
- IH18.04.4a: Optimisation of pavement fund allocation for pavement rehabilitation based on pavement condition data and remaining life cycle analytics (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
18 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions7 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions