Transferring to another education provider

If you wish to transfer from RMIT to another educational provider be aware that RMIT is a Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) eligible provider. If you transfer to a provider that is not eligible for SSVF, you may no longer meet the criteria for which your visa was granted and your visa may be cancelled. For more information, visit the DIBP website about changing courses.

If you have completed six months or more of the program with the highest study level as described in your offer letter, complete the cancellation of program enrolment process.

If you have not yet completed six months in your principal program, you must apply for a release letter before cancelling your program.

How to apply for a release letter

If you are a sponsored student your sponsor needs to submit a letter to RMIT to request the transfer.

Non-sponsored students need to apply for a release letter by completing the Application to Transfer Education Provider Release Letter Form.

You cannot apply for a release letter until you have paid any outstanding fees and fines you have with RMIT. 

Please allow up to 10 business days for RMIT’s International Compliance department to assess your application and email you the outcome.

Eligibility for release

To be eligible for a release letter:

  • Your accepted program has been cancelled or is no longer offered for your accepted intake.
  • You have been unable to meet academic or language requirements for entry into a program. You must have made a genuine attempt at meeting the conditions of your offer letter and complied with all conditions of your student visa, including satisfactory attendance, academic progress, payment of fees, etc. You may need to provide academic or language results.
  • You have evidence of relevant compassionate and compelling circumstances that occurred after you accepted your RMIT offer that are beyond your control and that impact on your plans for study at RMIT University.

The following circumstances may not be considered compassionate or compelling and may not be considered reason to approve transfer to another provider from RMIT:

  • Failure to read or understand RMIT Offer, Tuition Fee and Refund Policies
  • Changing to a program with lower fees or for other financial reasons
  • Changing to a program with a shorter duration, except in the cases of credit exemptions offered by the new provider, where RMIT cannot match the credit awarded
  • A change in your personal study interests after accepting your RMIT offer
  • You have either not started studying yet, or have been enrolled at RMIT University for less than four weeks and have not experienced the full range of academic and transitional support services available at RMIT
  • Where a student visa was granted, you fail to enrol at RMIT or at pathway provider before the published/offered enrolment dates. In this situation, you should apply to defer your RMIT offer
  • Transferring to a non-Streamlined Visa Processing eligible program, or a lower AQF award
  • If you have breached your student visa conditions.

How to appeal an unsuccessful release letter

If you are refused a letter of release, you can submit an internal appeal, which should include:

  • Evidence of how the decision was not made in accordance with RMIT policy
  • Evidence to support your eligibility for release - see above

Your appeal should be lodged in writing, titled ‘Release letter appeal’, and should be addressed to the Director, Compliance, Regulation and Reporting within 20 working days of the release letter date.

You can submit your appeal in person at the RMIT International Desk at Info Corner or via email:

You will be provided with a written statement, including reasons for the outcome, within 20 working days.