All international students holding an Australian student visa are required to maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) with an approved OSHC provider.
You will not require OSHC if you are:
- a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
- a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
- a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia
- studying for less than three months on a visitor or tourist visa. You will not be eligible for OSHC and are advised to purchase Overseas Visitors Health Cover or comprehensive travel insurance
- an Australian government scholarship student.
The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) has implemented mandatory Visa Length Cover (VLC) as a requirement for all student visa applications. This means you must show DHA that you have OSHC for the entire proposed duration of your student visa.
Masters by research and PhD students
DHA provides an 'increased visa period' to all international students applying for a new visa subclass 574 (Masters by research or PhD). The visa period increases by a further six months after your completion date. Therefore, you will need to ensure you have valid OSHC for the full increased visa duration.
Medibank Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
RMIT will arrange visa-length cover with our preferred OSHC provider Medibank Private, and payment of OSHC needs to occur at the time of accepting an offer. You can also arrange cover through other approved OSHC providers.
How to activate your Medibank OSHC membership:
- You have to access your RMIT student email to obtain your copy of the OSHC policy certificate.
- Login to Medibank OSHC OMS
A Medibank staff is available on campus to assist you, Visit Medibank on Campus.