Approved accommodation and caregiver providers

RMIT has approved several options for under-18 overseas students to choose from. You need to stay in approved accommodation every night until you turn 18 years old.

Where you live can have a big impact on your life and experience as a student, so it is important to consider your choice carefully.


A hostel is a house where multiple students live and usually share communal spaces. These hostels provide meals, a range of room types and are located close to RMIT city campus.

Albert House

  • Catered
  • Travel time (to city campus): less than 5 minutes walk

Asian Student Accommodation

  • Catered
  • Travel time: approximately 30 minutes on public transport

Madre Nazrena

  • Catered: Monday-Friday
  • Travel time: 15-25 minutes on public transport
  • Female only

Purpose Built Student Accommodation (PBSA)

Purpose Built Student Accommodation buildings are specially designed and built accommodation sites which cater to the needs of students. PBSA options are typically located close to universities and offer a range of room types and shared communal areas.

urbanest Carlton

urbanest Melbourne Central

urbanest Swanston Street

  • Carlton, Melbourne Central and Swanston Street
  • Travel time: 5-15 minutes walk to city campus
  • Lots of opportunities to socialise
  • Staffed 24/7

The Student Housing Company (University Square)

  • Travel time: 12 minute walk to city campus
  • Lots of opportunities to socialise
  • Staffed 24/7

Atira: La Trobe

  • Travel time: 5 minute walk to city campus
  • New property
  • Lots of opportunities to socialise
  • Staffed 24/7

Journal Student Living (Uni Place)

  • Travel time: 9 minute walk to city campus
  • New property
  • Lots of opportunities to socialise
  • Staffed 24/7


A homestay is a local family, couple or single person offering full board in their home. A homestay experience can be a great way to adjust to life in Melbourne and form relationships with a local family. 

Homestay accommodation is subject to availability and may not be available to all students.

Australian Homestay Network

  • Own room  
  • Catered YES
  • Opportunities to be involved in a local family home 
  • To apply, please complete an online application through Australian Homestay Network.

Not sure which accommodation is right for you?

You or your agent can email, and we can assist.


If you need to change your arrangements

If you need to change your arrangements after they have been approved, you must obtain approval from RMIT before the change happens.

It is a condition of your student visa to maintain an appropriate welfare arrangement during your stay in Australia. Not maintaining the arrangement may result in the cancellation of your student visa.

For help with welfare arrangements and general enquiries for under-18 arrangements, contact:

(Under 18) Compliance & Assurance Advisor 


Explore more

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business. - Artwork created by Louisa Bloomer