Babak Abbasi is Associate Professor of Business Analytics. Previously, he was Senior Lecturer of Statistics and Operations Research and Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering. He uses analytical methods to help design better policies and make better decisions. For example, Babak recently worked on improving blood supply chain in Australia that helps make better decisions on using donated blood for saving lives.
Babak’s research focuses on industry-motivated quantitative modelling and decision making under uncertainty applied to blood service, not for profit organisations and government, healthcare delivery improvement, supply chain coordination, resources allocation, service operations management and manufacturing.
His research interests fall in the domain of Operations Research, Simulation, Probabilistic and Bayesian models, Categorical Data Analysis, Operations Management, Big Data Analytics and Healthcare Analytics.
Babak is an active reviewer for several journals including Decision Sciences, International Journal of Production Research, International Journal of Production Economics, European Journal of Operational Research, Computers and Operations Research, Computers and Industrial Engineering, European Journal of Industrial Engineering, Communications in Statistics and Computational Statistics.
For a complete list of Babak’s publications visit Google Scholar
He has completed several research projects, grants and consultancy projects with various industries. His recent funded research projects and grants include:
- Shelf life analysis in blood supply chain
- Improving the blood supply chain in Australia
- Brain attacks in children: Operations research modelling for appropriate identification of paediatric stroke patients
- Statistical analysis and data mining of IgG level associations with donor characteristics
- Blood components demand forecasting in Australia
He is a member of INFORMS and Australian Society for Operations Research (ASOR).
- School of Mathematical and Geospatial Science Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Coordinator
- Node Leader, Australian Technology Network's Industry Doctoral Training Centre (IDTC)
- Research committee member in School of Business IT and Logistics
- Developing Business Analytics Program/Courses
- MATH1298 - Categorical Data Analysis
- MATH1312- Regression Analysis
- MATH1322- Computational Statistics
- MATH2202- Data Prep. For Analytics
- MATH2200 – Statistics 1
- OMGT1058 – Transport Economics
- BSc in IE (IUST)
- MSc in IE (Sharif University of Technology)
- G.C. in Tertiary Teaching and Learning (RMIT)
- PhD in IE (Sharif University of Technology)
- Shahparvari, S.,Abbasi, B.,Chhetri, P.,Abareshi, A. (2019). Fleet routing and scheduling in bushfire emergency evacuation: A regional case study of the Black Saturday bushfires in Australia In: Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 67, 703 - 722
- Mohammadian, I.,Abareshi, A.,Abbasi, B.,Goh, M. (2019). Airline capacity decisions under supply-demand equilibrium of Australia's domestic aviation market In: Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 119, 108 - 121
- Nasirian, A.,Arashpour, M.,Abbasi, B.,Akbarnezhad, A. (2019). Optimal Work Assignment to Multiskilled Resources in Prefabricated Construction In: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 145, 1 - 11
- Mohammadian, I.,Abbasi, B.,Abareshi, A. (2019). Antecedents of flight delay in the Australian domestic market In: Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, , 1 - 29
- Hosseinifard, Z.,Abbasi, B.,Fadaki, M.,Clay, N. (2019). (In Press) Postdisaster Volatility of Blood Donations in an Unsteady Blood Supply Chain In: Decision Sciences, , 1 - 27
- Dehghani, M.,Abbasi, B. (2018). An age-based lateral-transshipment policy for perishable items In: International Journal of Production Economics, 198, 93 - 103
- Nasirian, A.,Abbasi, B. (2018). Critical Literature Review of Labor Multiskilling in Construction In: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 145, 04018113 - 04018113
- Arashpour, M.,Kamat, V.,Bai, Y.,Wakefield, R.,Abbasi, B. (2018). Optimization modeling of multi-skilled resources in prefabrication: Theorizing cost analysis of process integration in off-site construction In: Automation in Construction, 95, 1 - 9
- Bodaghib, B.,Palaneeswaran, E.,Abbasi, B. (2018). Bi-objective multi-resource scheduling problem for emergency relief operations In: Production Planning and Control, 29, 1191 - 1206
- Jahani, H.,Abbasi, B.,Alavifard, F.,Talluri, S. (2018). Supply chain network redesign with demand and price uncertainty In: International Journal of Production Economics, 205, 287 - 312
- AMSI Industry Internship Program - Seyedeh Hosseinfard. Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Contract from (2011 to 2011)
11 PhD Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions