Babak Abbasi is a professor of Business Analytics and Decision Sciences. Previously, he was a senior lecturer of Statistics and Operations Research and assistant professor of Industrial Engineering. He uses analytical methods in designing better policies and make better decisions. He is currently working on applications of business analytics models in not-for-profit organisations and charities. For example, he recently worked on improving blood supply chain in Australia that helps make better decisions on using donated blood for saving lives. Broadly, his research focuses on industry-motivated quantitative modelling and decision making under uncertainty applied to blood service, not for profit organisations and government, healthcare delivery improvement, supply chain coordination, resources allocation, service operations management and manufacturing.
His research interests fall in the domain of Operations Research, Stochastic models, Markov Decision Process, Operations Management, Big Data Analytics and Healthcare Analytics. He is an associate editor of Decision Science Journal and regularly reviews papers for Decision Sciences, Omega, European Journal of Operational Research, Computers and Operations Research and International Journal of Production Economics.
His publication list is available at Google Scholar.
He is a member of INFORMS and Australian Society for Operations Research (ASOR).
- Research: Business Analytics, Operations Research, Healthcare Operations, Operations Management, Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Blood Supply Chain, Not-for-Profit Organisations
- Teaching: Business Analytics
- PhD Supervision: Supervising PhD students in the above research areas
- PhD - Industrial Engineering (Stochastic Models in Operations Research)- (Sharif University of Technology)
- G.C (Teaching and Learning) - RMIT University
- MSc- Industrial Engineering (Sharif University of Technology)
- BSc - Industrial Engineering (System Analysis) - (Iran University of Science and Technology)
- Business Optimisation
- Business Modelling
- Decision Support Systems
- Data Driven Decision/Policy making
- Operational Planning
- Data Analytics
- Hosseinifard, Z.,Abbasi, B.,Fadaki, M.,Clay, N. (2020). Postdisaster Volatility of Blood Donations in an Unsteady Blood Supply Chain In: Decision Sciences, 51, 255 - 281
- Jahani, H.,Abbasi, B.,Hosseinifard, Z.,Fadaki, M.,Minas, J. (2020). Disruption risk management in service-level agreements In: International Journal of Production Research, , 1 - 19
- Babagolzadeh, M.,Shrestha, A.,Abbasi, B.,Zhang, Y.,Woodhead, A.,Zhang, A. (2020). Sustainable cold supply chain management under demand uncertainty and carbon tax regulation In: Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 80, 1 - 30
- Abbasi, B.,Babaei Jonid Abad, T.,Hosseinifard, Z.,Smith-Miles, K.,Dehghani, M. (2020). Predicting solutions of large-scale optimization problems via machine learning: A case study in blood supply chain management In: Computers and Operations Research, 119, 1 - 20
- Nikzad, E.,Bashiri, M.,Abbasi, B. (2020). (In Press) A matheuristic algorithm for stochastic home health care planning In: European Journal of Operational Research, , 1 - 22
- Nasirian, A.,Arashpour, M.,Abbasi, B.,Zavadskas, E.,Akbarnezhad, A. (2019). Skill Set Configuration in Prefabricated Construction: Hybrid Optimization and Multicriteria Decision-Making Approach In: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 145, 1 - 20
- Mohammadian, I.,Abbasi, B.,Abareshi, A.,Goh, M. (2019). Antecedents of flight delays in the Australian domestic aviation market In: Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, 1, 1 - 9
- Jahani, H.,Abbasi, B.,Talluri, S. (2019). Supply Chain Network Redesign: A Technical Note on Optimising Financial Performance In: Decision Sciences, 50, 1 - 20
- Roozbahani, R.,Abbasi, B.,Schreider, S.,Hosseinifard, Z. (2019). A basin-wide approach for water allocation and dams location-allocation In: Annals of Operations Research, 287, 323 - 349
- Babagolzadeh, M.,Shrestha, A.,Abbasi, B.,Zhang, S.,Atefi, R.,Woodhead, A. (2019). Sustainable open vehicle routing with release-time and time-window: A two-echelon distribution system In: IFAC-PapersOnLine, 52, 571 - 576
13 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions
- AMSI Industry Internship Program - Seyedeh Hosseinfard. Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Contract from (2011 to 2011)