Myla lectures in the construction management program (on-shore and off-shore), and her teaching disciplines are construction planning and design, building performance, energy efficiency and building physics.
Prior to joining RMIT University initially as research fellow at the Centre for Design, Myla was project coordinator and sustainability researcher in an Adelaide- and Sydney-based architectural practice specialising in shopping centre planning and design and commercial retail architecture. She also practiced as an architect in the Philippines and gained experience in architectural and engineering design and project management of residential, ecclesiastical, retail and medium-rise commercial building projects.
Myla’s PhD examined the applicability of the universal values of comfort temperatures recommended by international comfort standards in the context of Philippine office environments. The thesis was an important piece of work, being the first time that a rigorous study of thermal comfort has been undertaken in the Philippines. The results challenged the orthodox thermal comfort theory, and the findings have significant implications on the development of guidelines aimed at energy and cost savings in buildings.
Currently, her research interests include building science, thermal comfort, indoor environments, building energy efficiency and environmental performance, environmental monitoring, and sustainable building design and assessments.
Myla is a research team member of the Sustainable Building Innovation Laboratory (SBi Lab) at the School of Property, Construction and Project Management.
Registered research supervisor for higher degrees by research.
Research areas: thermal comfort, indoor environments, thermal and environmental performance of buildings, building energy use and energy efficiency, building monitoring, sustainable building design and assessments, and building thermal/energy performance simulation.
Indoor Environmental Quality Policy and Literature Review for the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (Victoria) (2013) (Andamon, M.M., Bellamy, L., Ridley, I.)
Integrating sustainability education into existing engineering and built environment curriculum – United Nations University – Institute of Advanced Studies, Promotion of Sustainability in Postgraduate Education and Research (UNU-IAS ProSPER.Net) (2012–2013) (Iyer-Raniga, U., Andamon, M.M.).
Sustainability Guidelines for Commercial Office Fit-Outs (2011–2012) (Carre, A., Andamon, M.M.)
Sustainability Guidelines for Commercial Office and Retail Fit-Outs – Training and Development (2012) (Carre, A., Andamon, M.M.)
Program Evaluation and Decommission of Green Loans HSA Online Tool – Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency (2012) (Carre, A., Andamon, M.M.)
Sustainability Guidelines for Retail Fit-Outs (2011) (Carre, A., Andamon, M.M., Pears, A.)
Peer Review of Green Home (Green Savings) Calculator – Villawood Properties (2011) (Iyer-Raniga, U., Andamon, M.M.)
AusZEH II Upgrade Project – Department of Human Services Victoria (2011) (Wong, J., Andamon, M.M.)
Residential Building Mandatory Disclosure Prototype Tool: Victoria’s existing Home Energy Efficient Tool (eHEET) – Department of Sustainability and Environment Victoria (2010–2011) (Carre, A., Bumpstead, K., Rosenberg, K., Isaacs, T., Andamon, M.M.)
Doctoral dissertation: Building Climatology and Thermal Comfort: Thermal Environments and Occupant (Comfort) Responses in Philippine Office Buildings. Thesis for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia (2005).
2004 Brenda Nettle Grant, Australian Federation of University Women – South Australia Inc. Trust Fund (AFUW-SA)
PhD Architecture, University of Adelaide, Australia
BSc Architecture, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines
2005–2010 Project Coordinator, Saunders Creative Architects, Adelaide, South Australia
1993–2001 Project Architect, GSA Consultancy Inc., Manila, Philippines
Associate Member, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Member, International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB) – Working Commissions: W116 Smart and Sustainable Built Environments and W098 Intelligent and Responsive Buildings
Member, Network for Comfort and Energy Use in Buildings (NCEUB) – UK
Member, International Society of Indoor Air Quality and Climate (ISIAQ)
Member, Architectural Science Association ANZAScA Australia
Member, International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA) – Australasia
Member, Australian Federation of University Women – South Australia Inc. Trust (AFUW-SA)
2005 Finalist, SA Energy Awards, Australian Institute of Energy-South Australia
2002 Research Abroad Scholarship, University of Adelaide (Research Travel Scholarship)
2001–2005 Adelaide Scholarship International (ASI) / International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) for PhD / Masters by Research, University of Adelaide
1992 Commendation for ranking 10th Place, Architecture Board Examination, Professional Regulation Commission, Philippines
1991 Rector’s Award for Academic Excellence (Cum Laude Standing), College of Architecture and Fine Arts, University of Santo Tomas, Philippines
Other professional activities
8–10 December 2013 International Technical Committee, SB13 Dubai: Advancing the Green Agenda – Technology, Practices and Policies
25–27 November 2013 Scientific Committee, SE Asia Regional SB13 Manila Conference: Sustainable Buildings, Infrastructures and Communities in Emerging Economies
2012–Present Journal reviewer, Building and Environment – The International Journal of Building Science and its Applications
2012 Reviewer, Evolving Energy Congress, International Energy Foundation
2011 Reviewer, Solar 2011 Conference, The Australian Solar Council
2006 Reviewer, 40th Annual Conference of the Architectural Science Association ANZAScA2005; Reviewer, 39th Annual Conference of the Architectural Science Association ANZAScA
- Rajagopalan, P.,Andamon, M.,Paolini, R. (2020). Investigating thermal comfort and energy impact through microclimate monitoring- A Citizen Science approach In: Energy and Buildings, 229, 1 - 15
- Rajagopalan, P.,Andamon, M.,Woo, J. (2020). Enhanced Indoor Air Quality for Improving the Well-Being of Vulnerable Population in Victoria. Final Report prepared for: Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DEWLP) and Virtual Centre for Climate Change Innovation (VCCI) In: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning Melbourne
- Jara Baeza, F.,Rajagopalan, P.,Andamon, M. (2020). Reviewing indoor environmental quality of high-rise social housing In: Proceedings of the 54th International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA 2020), Auckland, New Zealand, 26-27 November 2020
- Rajagopalan, P.,Moore, T.,Andamon, M. (2019). The Built Environment in Australia In: Energy Performance in the Australian Built Environment, Springer, Singapore
- Andamon, M.,Carre, A. (2019). Urban Climates in the Transformation of Australian Cities In: Energy Performance in the Australian Built Environment, Springer, Singapore
- EDIRISINGHE, K.,Andamon, M. (2019). Thermal Environments in the Construction Industry: A Critical Review of Heat Stress Assessment and Control Strategies In: Energy Performance in the Australian Built Environment, Springer, Singapore
- Andamon, M.,Woo, J. (2019). Indoor Environmental Quality of Preparatory to Year 12 (P-12) Educational Facilities in Australia: Challenges and Prospects In: Energy Performance in the Australian Built Environment, Springer, Singapore
- Moore, T.,Andamon, M.,Rajagopalan, P. (2019). Cohesion: Our Environment—Building Better and Smarter In: Energy Performance in the Australian Built Environment, Springer, Singapore
- Andamon, M.,Rajagopalan, P.,Woo, J.,Huang, R. (2019). An investigation of indoor air quality in school classrooms in Victoria, Australia In: Proceedings of the 53rd International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA), IIT Roorkee, India, 28-30 Novembr 2019
- Garnawat, P.,Woo, J.,Wong, J.,Andamon, M. (2018). Managing the indoor environmental needs of hospital occupants: a facilities management perspective In: Indoor Air 2018, Philadelphia, USA, 22-27 July 2018
1 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions
- Impact of window typologies on the indoor environmental quality in high-rise social housing (PhD Candidate: Felipe Jara). Funded by: Australian Housing & Urban Research Institute (AHURI) - Scholarship - Cat 3 from (2021 to 2024)
- Enhanced Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) for Improving the Wellbeing of Vulnerable Population in Victoria. Funded by: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning: Climate Change Innovation Grants 2017 from (2018 to 2020)
- Scientists work with communities to improve urban microclimate. Funded by: Department of Industry, Innovation and Science - Citizen Science Grants from (2017 to 2021)