Guillermo is an Associate Professor in Property, Construction and Project Management at RMIT University and currently a Visiting Professor at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland.
Guilermo operates under the principle of research-driven design where practice informs research and research informs practice. His teaching is informed by both industry and research knowledge and experiences. He has participated as an external advisor on small, medium and large-scale planning, design and construction projects. At a higher level, he has conducted government and industry sponsored research on areas of Architecture and Planning, Sustainability, Construction and Building Information Modelling (BIM) – including the Australian National Guidelines for Digital Modelling.
He holds a Masters of Science in European Construction Engineering from Loughborough University and a PhD in Construction Management from The University of Reading, both in the United Kingdom (1996–2003). His undergraduate studies in Architecture were carried out in Mexico and Spain (1992–1996). More recently, he completed a professional certificate in Virtual Design and Construction at Stanford University, California, Centre for Integrated Facility working under the supervision of Professor Martin Fischer (2008–2010).
Internationally Guillermo has continued an active design and research agenda with Stanford University, California; TU Delft, Holland; National University of Singapore; and currently working with the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland and the Politecnico di Milano, Italy (2012–2013).
Guillermo is a well-published scholar and Regional Editor for 'Facilities' – Australasia, Emerald Scientific Publishers.
- Architecture and Planning
- Briefing Workshops
- Value Management
- Participatory Design
- Architecture: BIM (Building Information Modelling)
- Design/Construction Process: VDC (Virtual Design and Construction)
- Planning: GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
Guillermo is a registered PhD research supervisor in the areas of
- Architecture and Sustainable Design
- Building Information Modelling
- Public Private Partnerships.
Associate Professor in Property, Construction and Project Management.
BUIL1154 Advanced Construction – Strategic Planning, Design and Management
BUIL1215 Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio
BUIL1256 Construction Planning and Design – Building Information Modelling Studio Post Graduate
BUIL1005 Building Systems – Sustainable Architecture & Building Studio
PHIL1008 Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio Singapore
BUIL1213: Advanced Construction – Strategic Planning, Design and Management
BUIL1222: Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio
- Professional Certificate in Virtual Design and Construction.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Stanford University, California, 2010
- PhD in Construction Management and Engineering
School of Construction Management and Engineering. The University of Reading, United Kingdom, 2003
- MSc in European Construction Engineering
European Inter-University Programme. Loughborough University of Technology, United Kingdom, 1997
- UNESCO Fellowship in Architecture
Urban and Architectural Interventions. Escuela Tecnica Superior de Arquitectura.Universidad de Sevilla, Spain, 1996
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
Thesis title: Urban and Architectural Regeneration of San Miguel de Belen District Guadalajara, Mexico. 3Univa Guadalajara, Mexico, 1995
2003–2009 Applied Research Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation including: Development of the Australian National Guidelines for Digital Modelling.
- Member of Emerald Academic Publishing Group – UK
- Member of BuildingSMART Schweiz - Switzerland
- Member of the Institute of Project Management
- Member of Architects Without Frontiers – Australia
- 2013 Awarded Senior Research Fellowship at the Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- 2012–2013 Awarded Visiting Professorship at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland.
- 2012 Awarded Australian Citizenship. Scored 100% at the official test.
- 2010 Awarded Australian Permanent Residency under the Distinguished Talent category (29 April 2010).
- 2010 Awarded Golden Key Honorary Membership by Professor Margaret Gardner, Vice-Chancellor of RMIT.
- 2008 Awarded Scholarship to Stanford University (awarded by the ‘Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation’) to undertake the Certificate Program in “Virtual Design and Construction” under the supervision of Professor Martin Fischer (2008–2010).
- 2007 Awarded RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant by RMIT University.
- 2006 Appointed Conjoint Academicto the School of Architecture, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2006 Awarded ‘Sigma Lambda Chi Society’Honorary Membership. Awarded by SLCS Melbourne Chapter.
- 1997 Awarded ‘PhD Endowment Trust Fund’from The University of Reading, United Kingdom.
- Aranda-Mena, G. (2017). Value management in architectural education: Case projects on re-purposing heritage sites In: AUBEA 41st Conference Proceedings 2017, Melbourne, Australia, 3-5 July 2017
- Aranda-Mena, G. (2017). BIM integration in architecture studios: The G-Lab milano In: The 41st Australiasian Universities Building Education Association Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 3-5 July 2017
- Arashpour, M.,Bai, Y.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Bab-Hadiashar, A.,Hosseini, M.,Kalutara, P. (2017). Optimizing decisions in advanced manufacturing of prefabricated products: Theorizing supply chain configurations in off-site construction In: Automation in Construction, 84, 146 - 153
- Arashpour, M.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2017). Curriculum renewal in architecture, engineering, and construction education: Visualizing building information modeling via augmented reality In: Proceedings of the 9th International Structural Engineering and Construction Conference (ISEC 2017), Valencia, Spain, 24- 29 July 2017
- Asafo-Adjei, C.,Iyer-Raniga, U.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2017). Mobility and access to transportation for the rural poor: Examining the role of intermediate means of transport (IMTS) in Ghana In: Sustainability and Environmental Systems, Manchester, United Kingdom, 14-15 September 2017
- Edirisinghe, R.,London, K.,Kalutara, P.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2017). Building information modelling for facility management: are we there yet? In: Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 24, 1119 - 1154
- Aranda-Mena, G. (2016). The UNESCO chair: Australasia architecture studio at Mantua In: Proceedings of the 50th International Conference of the Architectural Science Association, Adelaide, Australia, 7-9 December 2016
- Heintz, J.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2016). A technique for developing strategic differentiation for small architectural firms In: Proceedings of the CIB World Congress: Volume III - Building up business operations and their logic - Shaping materials and techonologies (WBC16), Tampere, Finland, 30 May - 3 June 2016
- Keisewetter, T.,Elmualim, A.,Ochoa, J.,McGinley, T.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Stabile, A. (2016). The impact of sustainable higher education building spaces design on staff and students' experience In: Proceedings of the 40th Australasian Universities Building Education Association Conference (AUBEA 2016), Cairns, Australia, 6 - 8 July 2016
- Aranda-Mena, G. (2016). The G-Lab: a Global BIM Architecture Studio In: Proceedings of the 33rd CIB W78 Conference 2016, Brisbane, Australia, 31 October 2016
- Transnational teaching for learning. Funded by: RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund from (2010 to 2010)
- Building Information Modelling: Methods and Applications to link Post Occupancy Evaluation to Architectural Programming.. Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2008 to 2009)
- National guidelines and case studies. Funded by: CRC Construction & Innovation Research Project from (2007 to 2009)
2 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions