Guillermo is an Associate Professor in Property, Construction and Project Management at RMIT University and currently a Visiting Professor at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland.
Guilermo operates under the principle of research-driven design where practice informs research and research informs practice. His teaching is informed by both industry and research knowledge and experiences. He has participated as an external advisor on small, medium and large-scale planning, design and construction projects. At a higher level, he has conducted government and industry sponsored research on areas of Architecture and Planning, Sustainability, Construction and Building Information Modelling (BIM) – including the Australian National Guidelines for Digital Modelling.
He holds a Masters of Science in European Construction Engineering from Loughborough University and a PhD in Construction Management from The University of Reading, both in the United Kingdom (1996–2003). His undergraduate studies in Architecture were carried out in Mexico and Spain (1992–1996). More recently, he completed a professional certificate in Virtual Design and Construction at Stanford University, California, Centre for Integrated Facility working under the supervision of Professor Martin Fischer (2008–2010).
Internationally Guillermo has continued an active design and research agenda with Stanford University, California; TU Delft, Holland; National University of Singapore; and currently working with the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland and the Politecnico di Milano, Italy (2012–2013).
Guillermo is a well-published scholar and Regional Editor for 'Facilities' – Australasia, Emerald Scientific Publishers.
- Architecture and Planning
- Briefing Workshops
- Value Management
- Participatory Design
- Architecture: BIM (Building Information Modelling)
- Design/Construction Process: VDC (Virtual Design and Construction)
- Planning: GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
Guillermo is a registered PhD research supervisor in the areas of
- Architecture and Sustainable Design
- Building Information Modelling
- Public Private Partnerships.
Associate Professor in Property, Construction and Project Management.
BUIL1154 Advanced Construction – Strategic Planning, Design and Management
BUIL1215 Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio
BUIL1256 Construction Planning and Design – Building Information Modelling Studio Post Graduate
BUIL1005 Building Systems – Sustainable Architecture & Building Studio
PHIL1008 Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio Singapore
BUIL1213: Advanced Construction – Strategic Planning, Design and Management
BUIL1222: Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio
- Professional Certificate in Virtual Design and Construction.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Stanford University, California, 2010
- PhD in Construction Management and Engineering
School of Construction Management and Engineering. The University of Reading, United Kingdom, 2003
- MSc in European Construction Engineering
European Inter-University Programme. Loughborough University of Technology, United Kingdom, 1997
- UNESCO Fellowship in Architecture
Urban and Architectural Interventions. Escuela Tecnica Superior de Arquitectura.Universidad de Sevilla, Spain, 1996
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
Thesis title: Urban and Architectural Regeneration of San Miguel de Belen District Guadalajara, Mexico. 3Univa Guadalajara, Mexico, 1995
2003–2009 Applied Research Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation including: Development of the Australian National Guidelines for Digital Modelling.
- Member of Emerald Academic Publishing Group – UK
- Member of BuildingSMART Schweiz - Switzerland
- Member of the Institute of Project Management
- Member of Architects Without Frontiers – Australia
- 2013 Awarded Senior Research Fellowship at the Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
- 2012–2013 Awarded Visiting Professorship at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland.
- 2012 Awarded Australian Citizenship. Scored 100% at the official test.
- 2010 Awarded Australian Permanent Residency under the Distinguished Talent category (29 April 2010).
- 2010 Awarded Golden Key Honorary Membership by Professor Margaret Gardner, Vice-Chancellor of RMIT.
- 2008 Awarded Scholarship to Stanford University (awarded by the ‘Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation’) to undertake the Certificate Program in “Virtual Design and Construction” under the supervision of Professor Martin Fischer (2008–2010).
- 2007 Awarded RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant by RMIT University.
- 2006 Appointed Conjoint Academicto the School of Architecture, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2006 Awarded ‘Sigma Lambda Chi Society’Honorary Membership. Awarded by SLCS Melbourne Chapter.
- 1997 Awarded ‘PhD Endowment Trust Fund’from The University of Reading, United Kingdom.
- Finch, E.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2020). Creating Emotionally Intelligent Workspaces: A Design Guide to Office Chemistry, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Asafo-Adjei, C.,Iyer-Raniga, U.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2020). Accessibility and Transport Needs of Rural People in Ghana: How Relevant Are Appraisal Models In: Civil Engineering and Architecture, 8, 127 - 135
- Aranda-Mena, G.,Tan, P. (2020). Building Integrated Photovoltaic for Architectural Façades in Singapore In: Journal of Sustainability Research, 2, 1 - 19
- Belski, I.,Skiadopoulos, A.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Cascini, G.,Russo, D. (2019). Engineering Creativity: The Influence of General Knowledge and Thinking Heuristics In: Advances in Systematic Creativity, Springer Nature, Cham, Switzerland
- Aranda-Mena, G. (2019). Milieu d L'interior: Innovation Districts are not new In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Changing Cities IV: Spatial, Design, Landscape & Socio-economic Dimensions, Chania, Crete, Greece, 24-29 June 2019
- Aranda-Mena, G.,Serra, P. (2019). ‘BLT’ is not a sandwich: learning & teaching emerging building procurement methods; Australian, Asian and European perspectives In: Proceedings of the 43rd Australasian Universities Building Education Association Conference Conference (AUBEA 2019), Noosa, Queensland, 6-8 November 2019
- Hayles, C.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2018). Well-being in vertical cities: beyond the aesthetics of nature In: Proceedings of the 52nd International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA 2018), Melbourne, Australia, 28 November - 1 December 2018
- Aranda-Mena, G. (2018). Tacit knowledge transfer for city design In: Proceedings of the 52nd International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA 2018), Melbourne, Australia, 28 November - 1 December 2018
- Aranda-Mena, G.,Baez, E.,Arashpoor, M. (2018). 3-D Printing Biomimetic Façades with Recycled Glass In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on 3D Construction Printing (3DcP) in conjunction with the 6th International Conference on Innovative Production and Construction (IPC 2018), Melbourne, Australia, 26-28 November 2018
- Asafo-Adjei, C.,Iyer-Raniga, U.,Aranda-Mena, G. (2018). Transport and Accessibility Challenges Facing the Rural People Living Along Feeder Roads in Ghana In: Civil Engineering and Architecture, 6, 257 - 267
2 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions
- Transnational teaching for learning. Funded by: RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund from (2010 to 2010)
- Building Information Modelling: Methods and Applications to link Post Occupancy Evaluation to Architectural Programming.. Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2008 to 2009)
- National guidelines and case studies. Funded by: CRC Construction & Innovation Research Project from (2007 to 2009)