Kathy Douglas is the Dean of the Graduate School of Business and Law. She researches in the areas of conflict resolution, negotiation and mediation.
Kathy Douglas is the Dean of the Graduate School of Business and Law and has been in the role since July 2017. From 2013 – 2017 Kathy was Deputy Head, Learning and Teaching in the School. In these capacities Kathy has actively demonstrated her leadership abilities to connect with people across multiple disciplines, professions and sectors, including community, industry and government. She has led the School to great success in providing industry engaged learning that prepares students for life and work. She has nurtured a culture of innovation in both teaching and research in the School.
She is an interdisciplinary researcher in the area of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) that includes a focus on conflict, negotiation and mediation. Kathy is a leader in the ADR field as evidenced by her membership of the Australian Dispute Resolution Advisory Council, a prestigious national policy group, and the Australasian Dispute Resolution Research Network. She co-founded the network and is a past president.
- Dean of the Graduate School of Business and Law
- Member of the College of Business School Executive Committee
- Chair, University Student Appeals Committee
- PhD, RMIT University
- Graduate Diploma of Education (Tertiary Teaching stream) University of Melbourne
- BA, LLB, LLM Monash University.
- Twenty years of experience as a mediator
- Short course Trainer in Mediation
- Admitted to practice as a Solicitor for the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Douglas, K.,Popa, T.,Platz, C. (2019). Teaching Mediation Using Video and Peer Discussion: An Engaged Video Learning Model In: Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal�, 29, 182 - 188
- Douglas, K.,Popa, T.,Platz, C.,Colasante, M. (2019). Technology Aided Learning in Dispute Resolution and Evidence: Combining Video with Online Annotation/Discussion in a Blended Learning Design. In: Macquarie Law Journal, 19, 189 - 207
- Douglas, K.,Goodman, R. (2018). Addressing Conflict Within an Owners Corporation In: Mulit-Owned Property in the Asia-Pacific Region, Palgrave Macmillan, London, United Kingdom
- Douglas, K.,Leshinsky, R. (2017). Ethical concerns for owners corporation managers who informally mediate in owners corporation disputes: The need for a community of practice In: Law in Context, 35, 118 - 138
- Goodman, R.,Douglas, K. (2017). Dealing with conflict in local planning: reflections from Australian planners In: Planning Practice and Research, 32, 345 - 360
- Douglas, K.,Hurley, J. (2017). The potential of procedural justice in mediation: a study into mediators understandings In: Bond Law Review, 29, 69 - 86
- Colasante, M.,Douglas, K. (2016). Prepare-Participate-Connect: Active learning with video annotation In: Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 32, 68 - 91
- Douglas, K.,Leshinsky, R.,Condliffe, P. (2016). Conflict in Strata Development: The Need for Differentiated Dispute Resolution Rules In: Adelaide Law Review, 37, 163 - 189
- Douglas, K.,Goodwin, D. (2015). Artistry in mediator practice: Reflections from mediators In: Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal, 26, 137 - 145
- Douglas, K. (2015). The role of ADR in developing lawyers' practice: lessons from Australian legal education In: International Journal of the Legal Profession, 2, 1 - 16
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions