Andy is a theoretical physicist, with a background in quantum optics, quantum information and diamond. He works closely with experimental teams worldwide.
He is a Science Theme Leader and Chief Investigator in the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Nanoscale BioPhotonics.
Including the Centre of Excellence, he is co-recipient of more than $25M in category one grant funding.
Research highlights include the discovery of a new form of quantum transport in solid-state systems, the prediction of new quantum phases of light, and co-invention of a new method of fabricating diamond nanostructures that led to creation of the thinnest layers of single crystal diamond manufactured.
- PHYS2123 – Modern Physics;
- PHYS2122 – Mechanics;
- ONPS2495 – Science Fiction, Science Fact; and
- PHYS2074 – Photonics and Nuclear Physics.
He is also the HDR coordinator for Physics.
BSc, BSc (Hons) Adel, PhD ANU, MAIP, FinstP
Andy is a member of the Australian Institute of Physics (AIP), and was Honorary Secretary to the National Executive of the AIP from 2010-2013. He was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Physics in 2012.
- Capelli, M.,Heffernan, A.,Ohshima, T.,Abe, H.,Jeske, J.,Hope, A.,Greentree, A.,Reineck, P.,Gibson, B. (2019). Increased nitrogen-vacancy centre creation yield in diamond through electron beam irradiation at high temperature In: Carbon, 143, 714 - 719
- Howard, S.,Avargues-Weber, A.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Greentree, A.,Dyer, A. (2019). Numerical cognition in honeybees enables addition and subtraction In: Science Advances, 5, 1 - 6
- Rifai, A.,Tran, N.,Lau, D.,Elbourne, A.,Zhan, H.,Stacey, A.,Mayes, E.,Sarker, A.,Ivanova, E.,Crawford, R.,Tran, P.,Gibson, B.,Greentree, A.,Pirogova, E.,Fox, K. (2018). Polycrystalline Diamond Coating of Additively Manufactured Titanium for Biomedical Applications In: ACS applied materials and interfaces, 10, 8474 - 8484
- Ruan, Y.,Simpson, D.,Jeske, J.,et al, .,Lau, D.,Greentree, A.,Gibson, B. (2018). Magnetically sensitive nanodiamond-doped tellurite glass fibers In: Scientific Reports, 8, 1 - 6
- Howard, S.,Avargues-Weber, A.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Greentree, A.,Dyer, A. (2018). Numerical ordering of zero in honey bees In: Science, 360, 1124 - 1126
- Heffernan, A.,Stavrevski, D.,Maksymov, I.,Kostecki, R.,Ebendorff-Heidepriem, H.,Greentree, A.,Gibson, B. (2018). Focussed electron beam induced deposition of platinum plasmonic antennae In: Advanced Fabrication Technologies for Micro/Nano Optics and Photonics XI,�Proc. of SPIE Vol. 10544, San Francisco, California, United States, 22 February 2018
- Li, J.,Ebendorff-Heidepriem, H.,Gibson, B.,Greentree, A.,Hutchinson, M.,Jia, P.,Kostecki, R.,Liu, G.,Orth, A.,Ploschner, M.,Schartner, E.,Warren-Smith, S.,Zhang, K.,Tsiminis, G.,Goldys, E. (2018). Perspective: Biomedical sensing and imaging with optical fibers-Innovation through convergence of science disciplines In: APL Photonics, 3, 1 - 20
- Li, J.,Zhang, G.,Wang, J.,Maksymov, I.,Greentree, A.,Hu, J.,Shen, A.,Wang, Y.,Trau, M. (2018). Facile One-Pot Synthesis of Nanodot-Decorated Gold-Silver Alloy Nanoboxes for Single-Particle Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Activity In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 10, 32526 - 32535
- Javaid, M.,Russo, S.,Kalantar Zadeh, K.,Greentree, A.,Drumm, D. (2018). Band structure and giant Stark effect in two-dimensional transition-metal dichalcogenides In: Electronic Structure, 1, 1 - 20
- Daeneke, T.,Atkin, P.,Orrell-Trigg, R.,Zavabeti, S.,Ahmed, T.,Walia, S.,Liu, M.,Tachibana, Y.,Javaid, M.,Greentree, A.,Russo, S.,Kaner, R.,Kalantar Zadeh, K. (2017). Wafer-scale synthesis of semiconducting SnO monolayers from interfacial oxide layers of metallic liquid tin In: ACS Nano, 11, 10974 - 10983
- QT28: Hybrid diamond fibre optic quantum magneto-sensors. Funded by: Commonwealth Department of Defence Science and Technology Quantum Technologies 2018 from (2019 to 2020)
- Laser Threshold Magnetometry with Diamond. Funded by: Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development Grant from (2018 to 2020)
- National Facility for Nanoscale Characterisation of Luminescent Materials (administered by University of Technology, Sydney). Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant 2018 from (2018 to 2018)
- Laser threshold sensing: exploiting coherence. Funded by: ARC Future Fellowships Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2020)
- Hybrid diamond-optical fibre magnetometry. Funded by: DST Competitive Evaluation Research Agreement (CERA) Program 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
6 PhD Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions