Andy is a theoretical physicist, with a background in quantum optics, quantum information and diamond. He works closely with experimental teams worldwide.
He is a Science Theme Leader and Chief Investigator in the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Nanoscale BioPhotonics.
Including the Centre of Excellence, he is co-recipient of more than $25M in category one grant funding.
Research highlights include the discovery of a new form of quantum transport in solid-state systems, the prediction of new quantum phases of light, and co-invention of a new method of fabricating diamond nanostructures that led to creation of the thinnest layers of single crystal diamond manufactured.
- PHYS2123 – Modern Physics;
- PHYS2122 – Mechanics;
- ONPS2495 – Science Fiction, Science Fact; and
- PHYS2074 – Photonics and Nuclear Physics.
He is also the HDR coordinator for Physics.
BSc, BSc (Hons) Adel, PhD ANU, MAIP, FinstP
Andy is a member of the Australian Institute of Physics (AIP), and was Honorary Secretary to the National Executive of the AIP from 2010-2013. He was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Physics in 2012.
- Capelli, M.,Heffernan, A.,Ohshima, T.,Abe, H.,Jeske, J.,Hope, A.,Greentree, A.,Reineck, P.,Gibson, B. (2019). Increased nitrogen-vacancy centre creation yield in diamond through electron beam irradiation at high temperature In: Carbon, 143, 714 - 719
- Howard, S.,Avargues-Weber, A.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Greentree, A.,Dyer, A. (2019). Numerical cognition in honeybees enables addition and subtraction In: Science Advances, 5, 1 - 6
- Reineck, P.,Lin, Y.,Gibson, B.,Dickey, M.,Greentree, A.,Maksymov, I. (2019). UV plasmonic properties of colloidal liquid-metal eutectic gallium-indium alloy nanoparticles In: Scientific Reports, 9, 1 - 7
- Maksymov, I.,Greentree, A. (2019). Coupling light and sound: Giant nonlinearities from oscillating bubbles and droplets In: Nanophotonics, 8, 367 - 390
- Rifai, A.,Tran, N.,Reineck, P.,Elbourne, A.,Mayes, E.,Sarker, A.,Dekiwadia, C.,Ivanova, E.,Crawford, R.,Ohshima, T.,Gibson, B.,Greentree, A.,Pirogova, E.,Fox, K. (2019). Engineering the Interface: Nanodiamond Coating on 3D-Printed Titanium Promotes Mammalian Cell Growth and Inhibits Staphylococcus aureus Colonization In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 11, 24588 - 24597
- Howard, S.,Avargues-Weber, A.,Garcia Mendoza, J.,Greentree, A.,Dyer, A. (2019). Symbolic Representation Of Numerosity By Honeybees (Apis Mellifera): Matching Characters To Small Quantities In: Proceedings Of The Royal Society B-Biological Sciences, 286, 1 - 9
- Li, D.,Jiang, L.,Piper, J.,Maksymov, I.,Greentree, A.,Wang, E.,Wang, Y. (2019). Sensitive and Multiplexed SERS Nanotags for the Detection of Cytokines Secreted by Lymphoma In: ACS Sensors, 4, 2507 - 2514
- Oberg, L.,Huang, E.,Reddy, P.,Alkauskas, A.,Greentree, A.,Cole, J.,Manson, N.,Meriles, C.,Doherty, M. (2019). Spin coherent quantum transport of electrons between defects in diamond In: Nanophotonics, , 1 - 27
- Sato, S.,Deki, M.,Nakamura, T.,Nishimura, T.,Stavrevski, D.,Greentree, A.,Gibson, B.,Ohshima, T. (2019). Photoluminescence properties of praseodymium ions implanted into submicron regions in gallium nitride In: Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 58, 1 - 6
- Javaid, M.,Russo, S.,Kalantar Zadeh, K.,Greentree, A.,Drumm, D. (2018). Band structure and giant Stark effect in two-dimensional transition-metal dichalcogenides In: Electronic Structure, 1, 1 - 20
- QT28: Hybrid diamond fibre optic quantum magneto-sensors. Funded by: Commonwealth Department of Defence Science and Technology Quantum Technologies 2018 from (2019 to 2020)
- Laser Threshold Magnetometry with Diamond. Funded by: Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development Grant from (2018 to 2020)
- National Facility for Nanoscale Characterisation of Luminescent Materials (administered by University of Technology, Sydney). Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant 2018 from (2018 to 2018)
- Laser threshold sensing: exploiting coherence. Funded by: ARC Future Fellowships Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2020)
- Hybrid diamond-optical fibre magnetometry. Funded by: DST Competitive Evaluation Research Agreement (CERA) Program 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
4 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions6 PhD Completions