- Model Predictive Control
- System Identification
- Robust Control
- Auto-tuning of PI controllers
- Control of AC motors
- Use of subspace methods in identification and model predictive control.
- Systems and Control applications to biomedical research
- Product quality control for food processes
- Soft sensor design for product quality monitoring
- Professor in Control Theory and its applications.
- Head of Discipline, Electrical Energy and Control Systems.
- Teaching of Advanced Control Systems (EEET 2100).
- Teaching of Real Time Estimation and Control (EEET 2221).
- PhD (Sheffield, UK, 1989)
- April 2005 –current, Head of Discipline, Electrical Energy and Control Systems, RMIT University
- Jan 2007- current, Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Jan 2003-December 2006, Associate Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Feb 2002-Dec 2002, Senior Lecturer, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Feb 1998-Jan 2002, Senior Lecturer and Research Coordinator, Centre for Integrated Dynamics and Control, University of Newcastle
- Jan 1995-Jan 1998, Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept Chemical Engineering, Uni of Toronto, Canada.
- April 1992-Dec 1994, Research Associate, Dept Chemical Engineering, Uni of Toronto, Canada.
- Australian Power Academy
- Advanced Manufacturing CRC
- Wang, L.,Mishra, J.,Zhu, Y.,Yu, X. (2020). An Improved Sliding Mode Current Control of Induction Machine in Presence of Voltage Constraints In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 16, 1182 - 1191
- Patel, R.,Meegahapola, L.,Wang, L.,Yu, X.,McGrath, B. (2020). Automatic Generation Control of Multi-area Power System with Network Constraints and Communication Delays In: Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, 8, 454 - 463
- Mishra, J.,Wang, L.,Zhu, Y.,Yu, X.,Jalili, M. (2019). A novel mixed cascade finite-time switching control design for induction motor In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 66, 1172 - 1181
- Guan, R.,Wang, L.,Ristic, B.,Palmer, J. (2019). KLD sampling with Gmapping proposal for Monte Carlo localization of mobile robots In: Information Fusion, 49, 79 - 88
- Tran, L.,Radcliffe, P.,Wang, L. (2019). (In Press) A low budget take-home control engineering laboratory for undergraduate In: International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, , 1 - 18
- Tran, L.,Sun, Y.,Guan, R.,Saeed, J.,Wang, L.,Radcliffe, P. (2019). Development and Outcomes of Teaching PID Control in Classroom with Hands on Learning Experience In: Proceedings of the 20th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology(IEEE-ICIT 2019), Melbourne, Australia, 13-15 February 2019
- Liu, Y.,Wang, L.,Brandt, M. (2019). Model predictive control of laser metal deposition In: International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 105, 1055 - 1067
- McNabb, L.,McGrath, B.,Wang, L.,Holmes, G. (2019). Integrated Anti -Windup Architecture Using a Disturbance Observer Framework for High Performance LCL Current Regulators In: 2019 10th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE 2019 - ECCE Asia), Busan, South Korea , 27-30 May 2019
- Patel, R.,Meegahapola, L.,McGrath, B.,Yu, X.,Wang, L. (2018). An Optimal Distributed MPC Scheme for Automatic Generation Control Under Network Constraints In: Proceedings of the IEEE 27th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2018), Cairns, Australia , 13-15 June 2018
- Tran, L.,Radcliffe, P.,Wang, L. (2018). Designing greener real time controllers In: The 4th International Conference on Green Technology and Sustainable Development, Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 23-24 November 2018
- Power Rectification, Braking and Condition Monitoring for a High Speed Alternator System - ICG000701. Funded by: Mellin Pty Ltd trading as gTET from (2018 to 2019)
- A novel direct drive linear tube generator for ocean wave energy conversion. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2020)
- Design and Simulation of High Speed Turbo Alternator for Micro Turbine Power Generation. Funded by: Mellin Pty Ltd trading as gTET - contract research from (2017 to 2020)
- PID Control System with Constraints: Design and Automatic Tuning using MATLAB/Simulink. Funded by: The MathWorks Australia Pty. Ltd Grant from (2016 to 2017)
- Autonomous Search Based on Sparse Cues (Internship: Robin Guan). Funded by: Defence Science and Technology Group - Contract from (2016 to 2016)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
11 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions21 PhD Completions and 10 Masters by Research Completions
Control systems including kalman filters; PID control; process optimisation system identification; robust control; model predictive control. statistical process monitoring of industrial processes; product quality control with applications to food processes.