Rachel is a lecturer in Media and Communication, specialising in film and television and research.
Rachel's research includes mobile media, community media and critical communication (trauma) and is developing a National Online Student Film and Video Archive in conjunction with ASPERA (Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association).
She is interested in the juncture between theory and creative and professional practice and her Masters explored female autobiography and the representation of memory and trauma within cinema.
Grants and awards
Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (2008) - 'For the collaborative delivery of a program that enhances student knowledge through integrating process based learning with practice, and fostering links between pedagogy and industry'. Presented to the RMIT Media Team.
Seed Funding from RMIT's Design Research Institute for the 'establishment of the ASPERA digital online archive/repository'. (2008)
The University Teaching Award for Humanities and the Arts (2007)
Certificate of Achievement for Innovation in Curricular, Learning and Teaching (2007 - Group Prize)
Priming Grant (2002)
Faculty of Arts Deakin University.
1993 St Kilda Film Festival, Encouragement Award – Experimental Film.
2002 Detour – An Export Guide to Victoria’s Performing Arts. Arts Victoria Publication.
National Secretary for ASPERA (Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association).
Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) - Documentary Shorts.
Selection Panel (2005–2006).
Big West Film Festival - Advisory Board.
Big Screen – Travelling Film Festival (2003) With Screen Sound Australia – National Film and Sound Archive and AFC. Publicity and promotions assistant.
Melbourne International Film Festival (2000–2003). Box Office.
Longford Cinema (1994–2001) Relief Duty Manager – Front of House.
3CR – Community Radio (1997) Co-host Film Show (12-1 pm Sunday).
Inner South Eastern Access Television (1992–1994) SKA TV - St Kilda Management Committee Member.
Melbourne Community Television Consortium (1993–1994) Channel 31 Management Committee Member.
Rachel is selection officer and careers officer for the Media programs.
Rachel teaches media production (specialising in film and television) and research in both the undergraduate and masters programs in the School of Applied Communication.
Writing Media Texts
Media Industries 1
Media Industries 2
Rachel also supervises a number of thesis students from the Master of Communication degree.
Rachel’s previous tertiary teaching experience includes photography, 16mm film production, script writing, television studio, video production, art and cultural production, criticism, narrative and contexts.
Master of Arts (MA), Cinema Studies, La Trobe University
Bachelor of Education (B.ED), Media Studies and Visual Communication, Deakin University
King of the Mountain (1999), 2nd Assistant Director, Producer – Darren Lines.
Documentaries and educational programs
Back 2 the Max (2002) Documentary, Director, Vicious Media, Producer – Pascal Gullioux.
Rice Paddies (2001) Documentary, Director, Producers – Jason Cross and Victoria Ravenwood.
Ivanhoe 3079 (Yuletide) (2000) Documentary, Production Assistant, Ephemera Films for SBS TV, Producer – Liz Burke.
Pals and Sals (1997) Satellite Language Program, Production Assistant, Producer – The Facility for Victorian, Board of Studies.
Real English (1997) CD Rom, Production Assistant, Producer – The Facility.
Who Cares – Single Mothers Speak Out (1996) Producer and Project Trainer, Documentary, Producer – Council for Single Mothers and Their Children.
Spostant Il Foglar Lis Feminis Racontin (1993) Documentary, Tape Operator/Camera Assistant, Producer – Milena Romanin and SKA TV.
Whose Television (1993) Documentary, Tape Operator, Producer – Milena Romanin and Channel 31.
Short Films and Corporate Videos
Memory Cages (2003), Director, writer and producer.
Nortel Communications (1999) Corporate Video, Director, script writer and production manager, Producer Nortel.
Ripples (1998) Short Film, 1st Assistant Director, Producer – Sandi Austin and Film Victoria.
Headlock (1996) Short Film, 1st Assistant Director, Producer – VCA, Director – Amanda Brotchie.
Top Dollar (1996) Short Film, 1st Assistant Director, Producer – Nic Ridge.
Poor Timing (1996) Short Film, 1st Assistant Director, Producer – Nic Ridge.
Television commercials/ community service announcements
TXU (2001) TVC, Producer - Great Southern Films, 2nd Assistant Director
ANZ (2000) TVC, Producer - Great Southern Films, 2nd Assistant Director
Defence Force (2000) TVC, Producer - Great Southern Films, Runner
Ford Laser (1999) TVC, Producer - Great Southern Films, 3rd Assistant Director
How to Buy a Used Car (1997) CSA, Producer - Kestral Film and Video, Production Assistant
Amnesty International (1992) TVC, Producer - Amnesty International, Video Split Operator
- Wilson, R.,Murray, G.,Clarke, B. (2018). A Grassroots, Practical Response to Student Belonging through Learning and Teaching Experiences In: 4th International Conference on Higher Education Advances (HEAd'18), Valenica, Spain, 20-22 June 2018
- Araujo, N.,Wilson, R.,Clarke, B. (2015). Student engagement for employability: A belonging project case study In: Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA 2015), Melbourne, Australia, 6-9 July 2015
- Araujo, N.,Wilson, R.,Clarke, B. (2015). Why belonging still matters: Student success beyond generic employability skills In: STARS 2015 Conference Proceedings, Melbourne, Australia, 1-4 July 2015
- Araujo, N.,Carlin, D.,Clarke, B.,Morieson, L.,Lukas, K.,Wilson, R. (2014). Belonging in the first year: A creative discipline cohort case study In: International Journal of the First Year in Higher Education, 5, 21 - 31
- Araujo, N.,Wilson, R.,Clarke, B.,Carnie, L. (2014). The global at home, at home in the global: A study tour case study from the belonging project In: Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference of the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA 2014), Hamilton, New Zealand, 22-25 November 2014
- Morieson, L.,Carlin, D.,Clarke, B.,Lukas, K.,Wilson, R. (2013). Belonging in education: lessons from the belonging project In: The International Journal of the First Year in Higher Education, 4, 87 - 96
- Wilson, R. (2011). The ASPERA digital online archive/repository: Key issues facing the contemporary moving image archive In: Text, 11, 1 - 11
- Wilson, R. (2006). Memory cages In: IM e-journal, 1, 1 - 9
- Wilson, R. (2003). Memory cages In: Graduate Conference Melbourne, Australia
- Humanities Networked Infrastructure (HuNI): Unlocking and Uniting Australia's Cultural Data. Funded by: National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources Contract from (2012 to 2013)
1 PhD Current Supervisions