Dr Shaun Wilson
Shaun Wilson is a Senior lecturer in Digital Media in the School of Design, RMIT University.
Shaun is an artist, scholar, curator, and author who has consistently made long term projects about memory and place. His creative work intersects through metamodernist frameworks and his industry work aligns to auteur and art house film production. He has published widely in the areas of digital philosophy, digital media, contemporary art, and cinema. Exhibitions and screenings of individual and collaborative works have included the TATE Modern, ACCA, ACMI, PICA, Centre on Contemporary Art Seattle, GOMA Brisbane, CAST Hobart, IMA Brisbane, Centre for Contemporary Culture Barcelona, Bilboa, Mermaid Arts Centre Ireland, Scope Art Fair Basel and Miami, Scala Theatre Berlin, EFM Berlinale, Marche Du Film Cannes, VPN Venice Film Festival, 24 Hour Art Darwin, Dundee Arts Centre Scotland, MCA Fenosa Union, FACT Liverpool, and Federation Square Melbourne. Notable creative projects are the '51 Paintings Suite' (2007- ), 'Black Garden' (2020), and 'Filmic Memorials' (2005- ). In 2022, Shaun is working on two books, 'Migrants, Home Movies, and Place: The Journey to Australia through a topographical lens' (Amsterdam University Press) and 'Illness and Place: Plagues, Pandemics, Restrictions' (Palgrave McMillian). He is the co-founder of the G Biennale and the senior editor of Altitude Journal.
Shaun is engaged in various key research projects that include publication in academic press and funded visual projects which include Arts Victoria and the Australia Council for the Arts.
- Richard Brownlow (PhD)
- Patrick Kelly (PhD)
- Trevor Morgan (PhD)
- Sarah Ramsay (MA Research)
Shaun has screened and exhibited widely in seminal and important exhibitions and venues including the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, The National Centre for Contemporary Art Moscow, Cologne Art Fair, National Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, Bilbao, ACMI, and National Museum Centre of Art Reina Sofia, and the Basque Museum, Spain.
Shaun is engaged in various aspects of ongoing research, publications, screenings and exhibitions in the fields of digital philosophy, video art, fine art, metamodernism, and digital cinema.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (RMIT)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Hons) (Monash)
- Doctor of Philosophy (UTas)
Shaun has over 30 years of national and international experience in the contemporary arts and film industries. He holds regular presence in the museum, commercial, artist run spaces, and art centre galleries sectors. Industry experience connects with film festivals and market participation including Venice, Cannes, Berlinale, and the Canadian Film markets.
Shaun has wide experience as a commercial photographer, illustrator, gallery director, conference event management, curator, and is now the writer, producer and director of the feature film 'The Night Dweller Chronicles' series in development through joint US-Australian production.
Digital Philosophy, Contemporary Art, Video and Media Art, Film Making and Digital Cinema. He is also a contributing reader to various journals and conference events.
- Wilson, S. (2022). Situating Conceptuality in Non-Fungible Token Art In: M/C Journal, 25, 1 - 9
- Verhagen, D.,Wilson, S.,Byrne, B. (2022). MESS Through the Roof In: Melbourne Music Week Melbourne, Australia
- Wilson, S. (2022). Plague, Allegory, and Metamodernism as contemporary studio practice in Placing the Decameron In: International Journal of Contemporary Humanities, , 1 - 16
- Wilson, S. (2022). The Affordances of Digital Aesthetics In: Screen Thought Journal, 6, 1 - 13
- Wilson, S. (2021). Creative Practice through Teleconferencing in the Era of COVID-19 In: MC Journal, 24, 1 - 12
- Wilson, S. (2021). Fear and Place: An Ontology fo Symbiosis in Pandemic Times In: International Journal of Contemporary Humanities, 5, 1 - 12
- Wilson, S. (2020). Representing Climate Activism through Digital Media before and during COVID-19 lockdowns In: International Journal of Contemporary Humanities, 4, 1 - 15
- Verhagen, D.,Wilson, S. (2020). Winter Orbit In: Winter orbit Melbourne, Australia
- Wilson, S. (2020). The Good, the Bad, and the Grumpy: Online Cat Pictures as Design Enigma in Digital Media In: Screen Thought Journal, 4, 1 - 13
- Wilson, S. (2019). The Long Take as a Metamodernist Framework in the Age of Perpetual Distraction In: Screen Thought Journal, 3, 1 - 13
2 PhD Current Supervisions3 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
- A Far Cry from Nowhere. Funded by: Creative Victoria Grant pre-2014 from (2010 to 2010)
- Arts Development Project: Creation of Uber Memoria X. Funded by: Creative Victoria Grant pre-2014 from (2008 to 2008)
- Victorian Our Water Our Future Postgraduate Scholarships: Enhancing social learning for sustainability in water management and conservation in Victoria. Funded by: Victorian Our Water Our Future Postgraduate Scholarships from (2006 to 2009)