Senior Lecturer in Construction Management, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (May 2008 – Present)
- 2nd year coordinator of BP198 Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure);
- Coordinator and Lecturer in CIVE1149 Construction Management, CIVE1194 Construction Engineering, CIVE1175 Engineering Economics and Project Evaluation, CIVE1165 Infrastructure Planning and Evaluation.
Lecturer in Project Management, School of Architectural, Civil and Mechanical Engineering, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia (January 2006 – April 2008)
- Coordinator of Project Management courses and lecturing in postgraduate subjects: VCP5726 Project Procurement Management, VCP5716 Project Development Analysis, VCP5726 Building Regulatory Management, VPP5621 Project Risk Management, and VPP5630 Research Methods
- Coordinating and/or lecturing in undergraduate subjects: VAN4051 Engineering Project Management, VAC2022 Building Materials and Construction, VAN2061 Engineering Materials, and VAN4011 Engineering Projects
- Senior Member of the Project Management Course Rationalization Committee:
- Coordinate the redevelopment of the project management courses at Victoria University;
- Developing the new project management course curriculum; and
- Seeking for approval from the university course approval committee.
Lecturer (Sessional), Building Construction Management Program in the School of Built Environment, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (Semester 2, 2005)
- Undergraduate subject: BLDG4275 Dispute Resolution and Avoidance
Lecturer (Sessional), School of Construction Management and Property, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (2002-2004)
- Undergraduate subject: CNB107 Construction 2
Lecturer, Faculty of Construction Management and Real Estate, Chongqing University, Chongqing, P.R. China (2000-2001)
- Undergraduate subject: Cost Planning and Control
Lecturer (Sessional) in Postgraduate Program in Project Management Jointly provided by the Faculty of Construction Management and Real Estate, Chongqing University, and the Department of Building and Real Estate, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (1999-2000)
- Cost Control
- Project Management
Associate, Institute for Sustainability and Innovation, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia (2006 - 2008). Working on two smart water fund projects with Professor Stephen Gray and Dr Nicholas Milne.
Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Faculty of the Built Environment, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (2005 - 2006). Working on a Faculty funded project PS07127 “Risk Management Practice for Construction Projects in Australia”.
Post-Doctoral Research Associate, the Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation (CRC-CI), Brisbane, Australia (late 2004 to 2005). Working on CRC-CI 2003-026C “Delivering a Re-life Project”, Industrial Partners: John Holland Group, Department of Public Works, Queensland Government
Research Assistant, Faculty of Construction Management and Real Estate, Chongqing University, P.R. China, (September 1998 to October 2001). Working on four governmental funded research projects
Research interest and current focuses
The application of cutting-edge project and construction management techniques in delivering a sustainable built environment, and specifically includes the following aspects:
- Project Management
- Project Risk Management and Decision Making – identifying risks associated with construction projects, using qualitative and quantitative methods to assess these risks, finding effective strategies to manage these risks, and establishing rational decision makings.
- Contract and Procurement – selecting optimal contract types to facilitate the delivery of construction projects, particularly using Public Private Partnerships and Project Alliance.
- Constructability – integrating construction knowledge in the project delivery process and balancing various the project and environmental constraints to achieve project goals and building performance at an optimal level.
- Climate Change and Adaptation Responses for Built Environment
- Carbon Neutral Construction - seeking for efforts and innovations which minimize the greenhouse gas emission in the construction process and support sustainable construction and environment.
- Management of Infrastructure and Pubic Assets – exploring impacts of climate change on infrastructure and adaptation responses, developing lifecycle management and diagnosis tools for infrastructure and public assets.
- Sustainable Built Environment
- Green Building – implementing green building technologies in commercial and office buildings to enhance the workplace flexibility, ergonomics and productivity and reduce the project life cycle cost.
- Refurbishment/Re-life of Buildings – managing sustainable refurbishment of commercial buildings and heritage buildings.
- Sustainable infrastructure management – investigating a sustainable delivery of critical infrastructure such as road, identifying major issues related to the use of recycled water and developing appropriate strategy to encourage the use of recycled water in the industry and community.
- PhD in Construction Management, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Master of Management (Construction Economics and Management), Chongqing University, P.R. China
- Bachelor of Engineering (1stclass Honours) in Construction Equipment and Engineering, Chongqing University, P.R. China
Consultant (Casual), F. Perry and Associates Town Planning (2008).
Project/Course Coordinator, working with around 40 guest lecturers from local industry to delivery the real-world Project Management courses at Victoria University (2006- April 2008)
Consultant (Casual), Thinc Project Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia (2006).
Consultant, Project Management Application Portfolio, Faculty of Built Environment and Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (January - July 2005)
Project Manager,Futian Real Estate Development Pty Ltd, Nanping District, Chongqing, P.R. China (May 1999 - September 2001)
Project Consultant (Part-time), Kangsheng Project Development and Supervision Pty Ltd, Shapingba District, Chongqing, P.R. China (September 1998 to October 2001)
Program Interpreter (Casual), Department of Public Works, Queensland Government, Queensland, Australia (2002-2003)
Site Engineer, Wuhan Construction Group Ltd, Wuhan, Hubei, P.R. China (January - September in 1998)
Practical Trainee, Liuzhou Construction Mechanism Ltd, Guangxi, P.R. China (June - July 1997)
- Since 2007, Incorporated Member of CIOB
- Since 2008, Education Board Member of CIOB Australasia
- Since 2007, Member of the Knowledge and Research Council, AIPM
- Since 2006, Member of AIPM
- Since 2006, Member of the Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management (CRIOCM)
Refereeing work for technical journals
- Since 2006, Construction Management and Economics
- Since 2007, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
- Since 2007, International Journal of Construction Management
- Kristombu Baduge, K.,Nava, S.,Abu-Zidan, Y.,McCormack, T.,Nguyen, K.,Mendis, P.,Zhang, K.,Aye, L. (2021). Improving Performance of Additive Manufactured (3D printed) Concrete: A Review on Material Mix Design, Processing, Interlayer Bonding, and Reinforcing Methods In: Structures, 29, 1597 - 1609
- Tushar, Q.,Bhuiyan, M.,Zhang, K.,Maqsood, T. (2021). An integrated approach of BIM-enabled LCA and energy simulation: The optimized solution towards sustainable development In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 289, 1 - 19
- Zhang, E.,Yang, D.,Tam, V.,Tao, Y.,Zhang, K.,Setunge, S.,Shi, L. (2021). A critical review of combined natural ventilation techniques in sustainable buildings In: Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 141, 1 - 25
- Kilmartin-Lynch, S.,Saberian Boroujeni, M.,Li, J.,Roychand, R.,Zhang, K. (2021). Preliminary evaluation of the feasibility of using polypropylene fibres from COVID-19 single-use face masks to improve the mechanical properties of concrete In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 296, 1 - 8
- Chen, H.,Hou, L.,Zhang, K.,Moon, S. (2021). Development of BIM, IoT and AR/VR technologies for fire safety and upskilling In: Automation in Construction, 125, 1 - 13
- Cheng, X.,Shi, Z.,Nguyen, K.,Zhang, L.,Zhou, Y.,Zhang, K.,Wang, J.,Shi, L. (2020). Solar chimney in tunnel considering energy-saving and fire safety In: Energy, 210, 1 - 14
- Wang, Q.,Zhang, K.,Li, W.,Shi, L. (2020). External wind on the optimum designing parameters of a wall solar chimney in building In: Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, 42, 1 - 10
- Li, D.,Huang, G.,Zhang, K.,Wang, J. (2020). Driving factors of total carbon emissions from the construction industry in Jiangsu Province, China In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 276, 1 - 14
- Nguyen, V.,Tran, P.,Peng, C.,Pham, L.,Zhang, K.,Nguyen-Xuan, H. (2020). Bioinspired cellular cementitious structures for prefabricated construction: Hybrid design & performance evaluations In: Automation in Construction, 119, 1 - 13
- Shi, L.,Tao, Y.,Zhang, H.,Zhang, L.,Zhang, K.,Tu, J.,Shi, L. (2020). Ventilation performance of a naturally ventilated double-skin fa�ade in buildings In: Renewable Energy, , 1 - 42
12 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions18 PhD Current Supervisions
- Development of high content recycled glass building material technology. Funded by: CRC-P Cooperative Research Centre Project (Livefield) from (2021 to 2023)
- Upcycling solutions for hazardous claddings and co-mingled waste. Funded by: Cooperative Research Centre Project (CRC-P) - Sebastian from (2020 to 2023)
- Recycled plastic ROBOVOID construction solution (CRCP). Funded by: Cooperative Research Centres Projects (CRC-P) Grant from (2020 to 2022)
- Incorporating treated crumb rubber and recycled aggregate into concrete aided by Indigenous Methodologies. Funded by: NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER HEALTH RESEARCH LTD Scholarship from (2020 to 2021)
- Intelligent asset management in community partnership. Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2018 to 2019)