Dr Annan Zhou is an Associate Professor in Geomechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.
The major research area of Dr Annan Zhou includes constitutive/numerical modelling of multi-phase porous media and advanced laboratory testing on unsaturated soils. He has been recognised by being awarded several national/international awards such as the ARC DECRA Fellowship in 2012, the AGS Hugh Trollope Medal in 2014, the ISSMGE ECR International Best Paper Award in 2015, the CGJ Outstanding Reviewer in 2016, the CGJ Editor's Choice in 2016 and the ISSMGE Bright Spark Lecture Award in 2018.
- PhD (Geotechnical Engineering), University of Newcastle (Australia)
- MEng (Geotechnical Engineering), Beihang University (China)
- BSc (Hons I, Civil Engineering), Beihang University (China)
- Member of Australia Geotechnical Society
- Serves as an editorial board member for Canadian Geotechnical Journal (NRC, SCIE-indexed) since 2015, Underground Space (Elsevier) since 2015 and Advances in Civil Engineering (Hindawi, SCIE-indexed)
- Chen, H.,Liu, X.,Feng, S.,Chen, J.,Zhang, D.,Zhou, A. (2019). Microscale investigation into mechanical behaviors of heat-bonded nonwoven geotextile using DEM In: Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 47, 429 - 438
- Liu, X.,Zhou, A.,Li, J.,Feng, S. (2019). Reproducing the microXCT observations of air-water distribution in porous media by revised pore morphology method In: Canadian Geotechnical Journal, , 1 - 25
- Zhang, Y.,Zhou, A.,Nazem, M.,Carter, J. (2019). Finite element implementation of a fully coupled hydro-mechanical model and unsaturated soil analysis under hydraulic and mechanical loads In: Computers and Geotechnics, 110, 222 - 241
- Chu, C.,Deng, Y.,Zhou, A.,Feng, Q.,Ye, H.,Zha, F. (2018). Backfilling performance of mixtures of dredged river sediment and iron tailing slag stabilized by calcium carbide slag in mine goaf In: Construction and Building Materials, 189, 849 - 856
- Ren, D.,Shen, S.,Zhou, A.,Chai, J. (2018). Prediction of lateral continuous wear of cutter ring in soft ground with quartz sand In: Computers and Geotechnics, 103, 86 - 92
- Xu, Y.,Shen, J.,Zhou, A.,Arulrajah, A. (2018). Geological and hydrogeological environment with geohazards during underground construction in Hangzhou: a review In: Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 11, 1 - 18
- Lyu, H.,Wu, Y.,Shen, J.,Zhou, A. (2018). Assessment of social-economic risk of Chinese dual land use system using fuzzy AHP In: Sustainability (Switzerland), 10, 1 - 14
- Gao, Y.,Sun, D.,Zhou, A.,Li, J. (2018). Effect of stress state on soil-water retention and its application on the strength prediction In: G�otechnique Letters, 8, 324 - 329
- Meng, W.,Shen, S.,Zhou, A. (2018). Investigation on fatal accidents in Chinese construction industry between 2004 and 2016 In: Natural Hazards, 94, 655 - 670
- Zhang, N.,Shen, J.,Zhou, A.,Arulrajah, A. (2018). Tunneling induced geohazards in mylonitic rock faults with rich groundwater: A case study in Guangzhou In: Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 74, 262 - 272
- Sustainable planting of trees in suburban environments on shrinkable clays. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2019)
- Travel for the 6th Asiapacific conference on unsaturated soils and postconference visit. Funded by: Ian Potter Foundation Travel Grant 2015 Round 2 from (2015 to 2016)
- Accurate Prediction of Safe Life of Buried Pipelines. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2018)
- Coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical behaviour of unsaturated soils and its modelling. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher from (2013 to 2016)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
5 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions
Unsaturated soils: Fundamental behaviour of unsaturated soils, coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical behaviours, advanced laboratory testing. Soft soils: behaviour of soft soils and modelling of over-consolidation and structuration.