Professor Xu Wang specialises in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering in School of Engineering, RMIT University
- 2019 – onwards: Professor of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, Australia.
- 2019 - 2020: Senior Research Fellow, Department of Structure of Matter, Thermal Physics and Electronics, University Complutense of Madrid, Spain.
- 2013 – 2018: Associate Professor of Automotive Engineering, School of Engineering, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, Australia.
2012 – 2013: Senior Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- 2011 - onwards: Visiting Professor, Department of Energy Engineering, Zhejiang University, P.R. China.
- 2008 - 2013: Senior Lecturer and Postgraduate Coordinator of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.
- 2008-2009: Senior Research Fellow, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- 2005 - 2008: Lecturer, AUTOCRC Project Leader, Automotive Engineering, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.
- 1990 - 1994: Senior Research Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Monash University, Clayton, Vic. 3168.
- 1988 – 1990: Lecturer, Ph.D. research candidate, Department of Jet Propulsion, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing, China.
Research Grants, Accomplishments and Achievements
- 2017 ARC Discovery Project grant (DP170101039): A novel direct drive linear tube generator for ocean wave energy conversion ($249,000)
- 2017 ARC Discovery International Award ($10,000)
- 2017 ARC LP170100932：Self-powered Active Noise Control via a Nano-fibre Acoustoelectric Converter ($810,000)
- 2016 ARC LP160100132：Comfort and Ergonomics: Innovative Seating Solution for Commercial Vehicle ($625,000)
- 2016 DMTC 6.052 Project grant: Develop future power management solutions –Mechanical Power Scavenging ($271,708)
- 2016 ARC Linkage Project grant(LP160100132): Comfort and Ergonomics: Innovative Seating Solution for Commercial Vehicles ($365,000).
- DMTC Grant Project 6.05: 0200314402 Alternative Power Packages for Land Vehicles, ($300,000 for three years)
- The CMC Scotch Yoke Engine Technology "SYTech", Automotive Engineering Excellence Award, 1997, SAE - Australasia, Australia, CMC Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia.
- 2007 CRC for Advanced Automotive Technology (0200302965): Carpet Acoustics ($308,517), contributed as project leader and primary chief investigator.
- 2007 CRC for Advanced Automotive Technology (0200303266): Development of Next Generation Conventional Power fold ($1,059,190) contributed as chief investigator.
- 2007 CRC for Advanced Automotive Technology (0200310614): Alternative Seat Adjuster Mechanism ($1,068,600) contributed as project team member.
- 2012 RMIT SEH Learning and Teaching Achievement Award for AUTO1019 Sustainable Vehicle Design.
- 2011 RMIT SEH Learning and Teaching Achievement Award, for outstanding course experience survey results for AUTO1030 Automotive Project II.
- 2010 RMIT SEH Learning and Teaching Achievement Award, for outstanding course experience survey results for AUTO1030 Automotive Project II.
- 2010 RMIT SEH Learning and Teaching Achievement Award, for outstanding course experience survey results for AUTO1019 Sustainable Vehicle Design.
- 2010 RMIT SEH Learning and Teaching Achievement Award, for outstanding course experience survey results for AUTO1031 Vehicle Noise Vibration Harshness.
- 2014 RMIT SAMME International Fellowship ($5,000)
- 2013 RMIT Foundation International Visiting Fellowship ($7000)
- 2012 RMIT SAMME Research Leave Award ($5,000) Visiting Research Fellow at University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- 2008 RMIT SAMME Research Leave Award ($6,000), Visiting Research Fellow at University of Cambridge, UK.
- 2013 RMIT Foundation International Visiting Fellowship ($7000)
- 2012 RMIT Foundation International Visiting Fellowship ($4000)
- 2012 RMIT Foundation International Exchange Fellowship ($3000)
- 2011 RMIT Foundation International Exchange Fellowship ($6000).
- RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant Scheme 2007 ($18k per year for one year), RMIT University, Australia.
- Monash Graduate Scholarship ($15k per year for three years), 1991 – 1993, Monash University, Australia.
- Overseas Postgraduate Research Scholarship (Tuition Fee), 1991 – 1993, Australian government
- Occupational Traineeship ($12k per year for one year), Department of Education, Employment and Trainee, Australian government, 1990 – 1991
- Interior Covering for a Vehicle, Wang , X., Dr. et al, Australian Provisional Patent Application 2009900481, February, 2010.
- Method and Apparatus for Measuring Acoustic Impedance, Wang , X., Dr. et al, Australian Provisional Patent Application 2008903434, July, 2008.
- Method and Portable Apparatus for Measuring Acoustic Impedance, Wang , X., Dr. et al, Australian Provisional Patent Application 2008903433, July, 2008.
- Luftversorgungsaggregat fuer ein Fahrzeug (Air Supply Device for a Vehicle), Wang , Xu Dr., European patent number: 02018423.0-, November, 2002.
- Schalldaempfer eines Luftversorgungs-Aggregats fuer ein Fahrzeug (Sound Absorber for a Vehicle Air Supply Device), Wang , Xu Dr., Deutsches Patentschroft DE 10152153 C2, 25 October, 2001.
Professional interests and links to industry
- Fellow member of Society of Automotive Engineers, Australia and U.S.A.
- Fellow member of Institute of Engineers, Australia
- Chartered Professional Engineer, Australia
- Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineering
Current research interests
- Ocean wave energy conversion, desalination, thermoelectric conversion
- Vibration energy Harvesting using piezoelectric materials and electromagnetic devices.
- Vibro-acoustic study using deterministic and statistical methods
- Vehicle noise and vibration mitigation and refinement
Main research interests in the past
- Power flow analysis and statistical energy analysis
- Tyre damping analysis
- Vehicle interior trim – carpet acoustics
- Vehicle side mirror noise diagnostic system
- Vehicle car seat adjuster mechanism
- Engine shafting torsional vibration
- Turbine machinery rotor stability
- 2001 - 2005: NVH Specialist, NVH Centre, Continental AG, Jaedekamp 30, 30419 Hanover, Germany.
- 1996 - 2001: Noise and Vibration Specialist Engineer, Engineering Department, General Motor Holden Australia Ltd, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- 1994 - 1996: Development Engineer (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow), Collins Motor Corporation at the University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
- UK - https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2021/08/prototype-tech-extracts-twice-the-power-from-ocean-waves/
- Netherlands - https://www.offshore-energy.biz/chinese-australian-researchers-extract-twice-the-power-from-ocean-waves-with-new-prototype/
- Spain - https://elperiodicodelaenergia.com/la-eficiencia-de-la-energia-de-las-olas-mejora-con-la-doble-turbina-desarrollada-por-investigadores-chinos-y-australianos/
- Spain - https://www.que.es/2021/08/17/nuevo-prototipo-turbina-dual-energia-olas/
- Spain - https://www.europapress.es/ciencia/laboratorio/noticia-nueva-turbina-extrae-doble-energia-olas-20210817175218.html
- Spain - https://www.la-razon.com/la-revista/2021/08/17/146-artistas-se-registraron-en-servicio-medico-thelonious-med-en-una-semana/
- US - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/08/210817102723.html
- US - https://interestingengineering.com/prototype-doubles-ocean-wave-energy
- US - https://newatlas.com/energy/counter-spinning-twin-turbine-generator-ocean-waves/
- US - https://wonderfulengineering.com/this-new-technology-can-extract-twice-the-energy-from-ocean-waves/
- US - https://www.offgridenergyindependence.com/articles/24570/technology-that-can-double-the-power-harvested-from-ocean-waves
- US - https://www.ethicaleditor.com/tech/new-clean-energy-tech-extracts-twice-the-power-from-ocean-waves/
- US - https://techxplore.com/news/2021-08-energy-tech-power-ocean.html
- US - https://www.notimerica.com/ciencia-tecnologia/noticia-nueva-turbina-extrae-doble-energia-olas-20210817175244.html
- Australia - https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/energy/device-doubles-waves-energy-output/
- Australia - https://www.rmit.edu.au/news/all-news/2021/aug/wave-energy-technology
- Australia - https://esdnews.com.au/new-wave-energy-prototype-doubles-the-power/
- Australia - https://www.ecdonline.com.au/content/efficiency-renewables/article/making-ocean-waves-a-viable-source-of-power-881342753
- Australia - https://reneweconomy.com.au/australian-dual-turbine-wave-power-breakthrough-promises-to-double-efficiency/
- Australia - https://www.ecogeneration.com.au/buoys-plot-to-overthrow-power-regime/
- China - https://xw.qq.com/cmsid/20210819A07IGB00
- China - https://m.toutiao.com/i6997752215762960935
- China - https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/hMi1LWcFm28NAK2LwoUsCA
- China - https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/401206674
- China - https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/b3ttuc9yX0isFd-c7hiWPg
- Vietnam - https://vnexpress.net/thiet-ke-turbine-kep-nguoc-chieu-thu-gap-doi-nang-luong-song-4342829.html
- Egab, L.,Wang, X. (2022). On the analysis of coupling strength of a stiffened plate-cavity coupling system using a deterministic-statistical energy analysis method In: Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 164, 1 - 13
- Liu, Z.,Xiao, H.,Khatri, P.,Ding, S.,Wang, X. (2022). A study of a flux switching linear generator with a novel speed amplified mechanism and its optimization for the maximum power output and minimum cogging force of wave energy conversion In: Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 166, 1 - 18
- Abdelkareem, M.,Zhang, R.,Jing, X.,Wang, X.,Ali, M. (2022). Characterization and implementation of a double-sided arm-toothed indirect-drive rotary electromagnetic energy-harvesting shock absorber in a full semi-trailer truck suspension platform In: Energy, 239, 1 - 21
- Kumar, P.,Pathak, S.,Singh, A.,Kuldeep, .,Khanduri, H.,Wang, X.,Basheed, G.,Pant, R. (2021). Optimization of cobalt concentration for improved magnetic characteristics and stability of CoxFe3-xO4 mixed ferrite nanomagnetic fluids In: Materials Chemistry and Physics, 265, 1 - 17
- Ma, T.,Bi, F.,Wang, X.,Tian, C.,Lin, J.,Wang, J.,Pang, G. (2021). Optimized Fuzzy Skyhook Control for Semi-Active Vehicle Suspension with New Inverse Model of Magnetorheological Fluid Damper In: Energies, 14, 1 - 21
- Wu, G.,Li, G.,Pan, W.,Raja, I.,Wang, X.,Ding, S. (2021). A state-of-art review on chatter and geometric errors in thin-wall machining processes In: Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 68, 454 - 480
- Al Shami, E.,Wang, Z.,Wang, X. (2021). Non-linear dynamic simulations of two-body wave energy converters via identification of viscous drag coefficients of different shapes of the submerged body based on numerical wave tank CFD simulation In: Renewable Energy, 179, 983 - 997
- ZHAO, Y.,Bi, F.,Shu, H.,Guo, L.,Wang, X. (2021). Prediction of the driver's head acceleration and vibration isolation performance of the seating suspension system using the time and frequency domain modeling In: Applied Acoustics, 183, 1 - 10
- Xiao, H.,Liu, Z.,Zhang, R.,Kelham, A.,Xu, X.,Wang, X. (2021). Study of a novel rotational speed amplified dual turbine wheel wave energy converter In: Applied Energy, 301, 1 - 15
- Pathak, S.,Zhang, R.,Bun, K.,Zhang, H.,Gayen, B.,Wang, X. (2021). Development of a novel wind to electrical energy converter of passive ferrofluid levitation through its parameter modelling and optimization In: Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, 48, 1 - 8
7 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Heavy vehicle wheel end fire and mechanical failure prevention device. Funded by: Road Safety Innovation Fund from (2021 to 2023)
- Self-powered Active Noise Control via a Nanofibre Acoustoelectric Converter (Administered by Deakin University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2018 from (2018 to 2021)
- A novel direct drive linear tube generator for ocean wave energy conversion. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2021)
- Comfort and Ergonomics: Innovative Seating Solution for Commercial Vehicle (Administered by The University of Wollongong). Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2020)