Naomi is a lecturer in the School of Education at RMIT University.
Naomi is an experienced teacher who has taught in a variety of educational settings within primary and secondary schools and tertiary institutions in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. She has taught in mainstream classrooms, language centres, bilingual schools, and as a specialist Japanese language and English as an additional language teacher. She was the coordinator at one of the first Japanese bilingual schools in Victoria. Naomi speaks Japanese and has used it within the teaching of Japanese across school sectors and within network associations.
Naomi is the Coordinator and Lecturer for Languages and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) courses within the Bachelor of Education Program.
Naomi's research interests include second language teaching methodology, second language acquisition, oral language output, bilingual and immersion education, and the impact of Intentional Teaching Gestures for language learning.
- RMIT Higher Education Teaching Excellence Award, 2012
- Department of Education LOTE Teaching Excellence Award, recipient of in-country study program in Urawa, Japan, 2000
- MCJLE study scholarship awarded for Masters of Education, 1999
- PhD Education (Languages), University of Melbourne (2019)
- Master of Education (Languages), Deakin University (2001)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Teaching Languages, Deakin University (1998)
- Bachelor of Education, Massey University, New Zealand (1994)
- Diploma of Teaching (primary), Palmerston North College of Education, New Zealand (1992)
Naomi has professional partnerships with schools and universities across Melbourne, Australia and Kochi, Japan.
Naomi has memberships with:
- Australian Council of TESOL Associations (ACTA)
- Australian Federation of Modern Language Teachers' Association (AFMLTA)
- International Academic Forum of Research (iafor)
- International Society of Gesture Studies (ISGS)
- Japan Association of Language Teachers (JALT)
- Japanese Language Teachers' Association of Victoria (JLTAV)
- Languages and Multicultural Education Resource Centre (LMERC)
- Melbourne Japanese Language Education Centre (MJLEC)
- Modern Language Teachers' Association of Victoria (MLTAV)
- Victorian Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Association (vicTESOL)
- Johnson, R.,Ginsberg, S.,Wilks-Smith, N. (2020). (In Press) Enhancing memory for learning: Teachers� journeys of implementing memory strategies in their classrooms In: Scan, 39, 1 - 14
- Wilks-Smith, N.,Thong, L. (2019). Transformative language use in and beyond the classroom with the Voice Story app In: Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, 10, 282 - 295
- Wilks-Smith, N.,Cooper, G.,Johnson, R. (2018). Predictors of participation in senior secondary languages In: Babel, 53, 30 - 34
- Wilks-Smith, N. (2017). The Place of Learners' Languages in Literacy Programs: Bringing learners' home languages in through the school gate In: Babel, 52, 27 - 34