Associate Deputy Vice-Chancellor Distinguished Professor Xinghuo Yu is the Chair RMIT Professorial Academy and a Vice-Chancellor's Professorial Research Fellow.Associate Deputy Vice-Chancellor Distinguished Professor Xinghuo Yu (FIEEE, FIET, FACS, FAICD, FIEAust, CPEng, EngExec) chairs the RMIT Professorial Academy. This academy serves RMIT as a valued source of advice on issues of importance to RMIT’s future, thought leaders to stimulate strategic conversations on research, education and engagement across RMIT and externally, and playing a leading role in advocating and campaigning for value creation and impact as RMIT ambassadors.
In 2007, Professor Yu led a team of RMIT researchers to establish RMIT's Platform Technologies Research Institute which became the best performing research institute at RMIT until it ceased operation in 2015. Professor Yu was the President of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) in 2018-2019, leading one of the most internationalised technical societies in the IEEE – the world's largest technical professional organisation. He was named a Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics/Thomson Reuters in 2015-2020 consecutively, placing him in the top 1% of researchers by citations for field and publication year in Web of Science.
Not only is he an IEEE Fellow, he also holds Fellowship of the Institution of Engineering and Technology UK, Engineers Australia, Australian Computer Society, and the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is also an Engineering Executive and a Chartered Professional Engineering of Engineers Australia.
Professor Yu has worked extensively with industry. He was on the Board of Governors of the Australian Photonics Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) (2003-2006) and on the Science Advisory Committee of the Advanced Manufacturing CRC (2008-2013). He was a Non-Executive Director of Oceania Cyber Security Centre Ltd (2016-2021), and acted as its Interim Chair between April 2020 and January 2021.
He joined RMIT University in 2002 and was appointed to the position of Associate Dean (Research & Innovation) in the Faculty of Engineering in 2003 which then became the College of Science, Engineering and Technology in 2004, before taking the Institute Directorship in 2008.
Prior to joining RMIT University, Professor Yu was Associate Dean (Research) of the Faculty of Informatics and Communication at Central Queensland University. He also held a Personal Chair in Intelligent Systems.
Professor Yu's research interests include control systems engineering, complex and intelligent systems, and smart grids. He published over 600 articles in journals, books and conference proceedings. He received a number of awards and honours for his contributions, including the 2018 M. A. Sargent Medal of Engineers Australia, 2018 Australasian Artificial Intelligence Distinguished Research Contribution Award of the Australian Computer Society, and 2013 Dr-Ing. Eugene Mittelmann Achievement Award of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society. He was named one of 15 Shortlist Nominees for the 2020 Global Energy Prize.
For further details about his achievements, work experience, publications and activities, please visit Professor Yu’s personal webpage.
- Zhang, L.,Yang, J.,Li, S.,Yu, X. (2021). Invariant Manifold Based Output-Feedback Sliding Mode Control for Systems with Mismatched Disturbances In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, 68, 933 - 937
- Shen, D.,Liu, C.,Wang, L.,Yu, X. (2021). Iterative Learning Tracking for Multisensor Systems: A Weighted Optimization Approach In: IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 51, 1286 - 1299
- Luo, S.,Deng, F.,Yu, X. (2021). Unified Stability Analysis for Ito Stochastic Systems: From Almost Surely Asymptotic to Finite-Time Convergence In: IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, , -
- Ning, B.,Yu, X.,Han, Q.,Cao, Z.,Wen, G.,Man, Z. (2021). Settling Time Estimation in Synchronization of Impulsive Networks With Switching Topologies In: IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, , 1 - 12
- Liu, L.,Ding, S.,Yu, X. (2021). Second-order sliding mode control design subject to an asymmetric output constraint In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, 68, 1278 - 1282
- Zhu, S.,Zhou, J.,Yu, X.,Lu, J. (2021). Bounded Synchronization of Heterogeneous Complex Dynamical Networks: A Unified Approach In: IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 66, 1756 - 1762
- Zhu, Y.,Wen, G.,Yu, W.,Yu, X. (2021). Nonsmooth Resource Allocation of Multi-Agent Systems with Disturbances: A Proximal Approach In: IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, , 1 - 11
- Zhou, J.,Lv, Y.,Wen, G.,Yu, X. (2021). Resilient Consensus of Multiagent Systems Under Malicious Attacks: Appointed-Time Observer-Based Approach In: IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, , 1 - 13
- Zhang, K.,Fang, X.,Wang, D.,Lv, Y.,Yu, X. (2021). Distributed Nash Equilibrium Seeking Under Event-Triggered Mechanism In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, , 1 - 5
- Hong, H.,Wen, G.,Yu, X.,Yu, W. (2021). (In Press) Robust Distributed Average Tracking for Disturbed Second-Order Multiagent Systems In: IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, , 1 - 13
- Develop a software prototype for a Multi-Objective Optimisation Tool. Funded by: Desert Knowledge Australia Contract from (2021 to 2022)
- Dynamic Deep Learning for Electricity Demand Forecasting. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2018 from (2020 to 2023)
- Dynamics and Resilience of Complex Network Systems with Switching Topology. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2020 from (2020 to 2022)
- Switching Dynamics Approach for Distributed Global Optimisation. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2020 from (2020 to 2023)
- Exploring Emerging Collective Behaviours in Large-Scale Data-Driven Networked Systems. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2018)
11 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions30 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions