In 2007, Professor Yu led a team of RMIT researchers to establish RMIT’s Platform Technologies Research Institute which became the highest performing research institute at RMIT until it ceased operation in 2015.
Professor Yu is the President of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) for 2018-2019, leading one of the most internationalised technical societies in the IEEE – the world’s largest technical professional organisation.
He was named a Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics/Thomson Reuters in 2015, 2016 and 2017, placing him in the top 1% by citations for field and publication year in Web of Science.
Not only is he an IEEE Fellow, he also holds Fellowship of the Institution of Engineering and Technology UK, Engineers Australia, Australian Computer Society, and the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is also an Engineering Executive and a Chartered Professional Engineering of Engineers Australia.
Professor Yu has worked extensively with industry. He was on the Board of Governors of the Australian Photonics Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) (2003-2006) and on the Science Advisory Committee of the Advanced Manufacturing CRC (2008-2013). He is a Non-Executive Director of Oceania Cyber Security Centre Ltd.
He joined RMIT University in 2002, and was appointed to the position of Associate Dean (Research & Innovation) in the Faculty of Engineering in 2003 which then became the College of Science, Engineering and Technology in 2004, before taking the Institute Directorship in 2008.
Prior to joining RMIT University, Professor Yu was Associate Dean (Research) of the Faculty of Informatics and Communication at Central Queensland University. He also held a Personal Chair in Intelligent Systems.
Professor Yu’s research interests include control systems engineering, complex and intelligent systems, and smart grids. He published over 600 articles in journals, books and conference proceedings. He received a number of awards and honours for his contributions, including the prestigious 2018 M. A. Sargent Medal of Engineers Australia and 2013 Dr-Ing. Eugene Mittelmann Achievement Award of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
For further details about his achievements, work experience, publications and activities, please visit Professor Yu’s personal webpage.
- Mishra, J.,Wang, L.,Zhu, Y.,Yu, X.,Jalili, M. (2019). A novel mixed cascade finite-time switching control design for induction motor In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 66, 1172 - 1181
- Mishra, J.,Xu, Q.,Yu, X.,Jalili, M. (2018). Precision Position Tracking for Piezoelectric-Driven Motion System using Continuous Third-Order Sliding Mode Control In: IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 23, 1521 - 1531
- Feng, Y.,Zhou, M.,Han, F.,Yu, X. (2018). Speed Control of Induction Motor Servo Drives Using Terminal Sliding-Mode Controller In: Advances in Variable Structure Systems and Sliding Mode Control-Theory and Applications, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Feng, Y.,Zhou, M.,Zheng, X.,Han, F.,Yu, X. (2018). Full-order terminal sliding-mode control of MIMO systems with unmatched uncertainties In: Journal of the Franklin Institute, 355, 653 - 674
- Lu, X.,Yu, X.,Lai, J.,Wang, Y.,Guerrero, J. (2018). A Novel Distributed Secondary Coordination Control Approach for Islanded Microgrids In: IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 9, 2726 - 2740
- Nguyen, S.,Peng, W.,Sokolowski, P.,Alahakoon, D.,Yu, X. (2018). Optimizing rooftop photovoltaic distributed generation with battery storage for peer-to-peer energy trading In: Applied Energy, 228, 2567 - 2580
- Moradiamani, A.,Jalili, M.,Yu, X.,Stone, L. (2018). Controllability of complex networks: Choosing the best driver set In: Physical Review E, 98, 1 - 6
- Mishra, J.,Patel, R.,Yu, X.,Jalili, M. (2018). Recursive surface structure for fixed-time convergence with applications to power systems In: IET Control Theory and Applications, , 1 - 10
- Mishra, J.,Li, C.,Jalili, M.,Yu, X. (2018). Robust Second-Order Consensus Using a Fixed-Time Convergent Sliding Surface in Multiagent Systems In: IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, , 1 - 10
- Haqqani, M.,Li, X.,Yu, X. (2018). Multi-objective Journey Planning under Uncertainty: A Genetic Approach In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2018), Kyoto, Japan, 15 - 19 July 2018
- Engineering Evolving Complex Network Systems through Structure Intervention. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
- Exploring Emerging Collective Behaviours in Large-Scale Data-Driven Networked Systems. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2018)
- An integrated and real-time passenger travel and public transport service information system. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant pre-2014 Round 2 from (2013 to 2018)
- Data Mining Complex Transactional and Criminal Networks. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant pre-2014 Round 2 from (2013 to 2015)
- Structure Inference and Adaptive Intervention of Evolving Complex Networks. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2013 from (2013 to 2016)
13 PhD Current Supervisions24 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions