In 2007, Professor Yu led a team of RMIT researchers to establish RMIT’s Platform Technologies Research Institute which became the highest performing research institute at RMIT until it ceased operation in 2015.
Professor Yu is the President of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) for 2018-2019, leading one of the most internationalised technical societies in the IEEE – the world’s largest technical professional organisation.
He was named a Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics/Thomson Reuters in 2015, 2016 and 2017, placing him in the top 1% by citations for field and publication year in Web of Science.
Not only is he an IEEE Fellow, he also holds Fellowship of the Institution of Engineering and Technology UK, Engineers Australia, Australian Computer Society, and the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is also an Engineering Executive and a Chartered Professional Engineering of Engineers Australia.
Professor Yu has worked extensively with industry. He was on the Board of Governors of the Australian Photonics Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) (2003-2006) and on the Science Advisory Committee of the Advanced Manufacturing CRC (2008-2013). He is a Non-Executive Director of Oceania Cyber Security Centre Ltd.
He joined RMIT University in 2002, and was appointed to the position of Associate Dean (Research & Innovation) in the Faculty of Engineering in 2003 which then became the College of Science, Engineering and Technology in 2004, before taking the Institute Directorship in 2008.
Prior to joining RMIT University, Professor Yu was Associate Dean (Research) of the Faculty of Informatics and Communication at Central Queensland University. He also held a Personal Chair in Intelligent Systems.
Professor Yu’s research interests include control systems engineering, complex and intelligent systems, and smart grids. He published over 600 articles in journals, books and conference proceedings. He received a number of awards and honours for his contributions, including the prestigious 2018 M. A. Sargent Medal of Engineers Australia and 2013 Dr-Ing. Eugene Mittelmann Achievement Award of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
For further details about his achievements, work experience, publications and activities, please visit Professor Yu’s personal webpage.
- Mishra, J.,Li, c.,Jalili, M.,Yu, X. (2020). Robust Second-Order Consensus Using a Fixed-Time Convergent Sliding Surface in Multiagent Systems In: IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 50, 846 - 855
- Goyal, J.,Kamal, S.,Patel, R.,Yu, X.,Mishra, J.,Ghosh, S. (2020). Higher Order Sliding Mode Control Based Finite-time Constrained Stabilization In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, 67, 295 - 299
- Wang, L.,Mishra, J.,Zhu, Y.,Yu, X. (2020). An Improved Sliding Mode Current Control of Induction Machine in Presence of Voltage Constraints In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 16, 1182 - 1191
- Qin, J.,Ma, Q.,Yu, X.,Kang, Y. (2019). Output Containment Control for Heterogeneous Linear Multiagent Systems With Fixed and Switching Topologies In: IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 49, 4117 - 4128
- Haider, W.,Hu, J.,Xie, Y.,Yu, X.,Wu, Q. (2019). Detecting Anomalous Behavior in Cloud Servers by Nested-Arc Hidden SEMI-Markov Model with State Summarization In: IEEE Transactions on Big Data, 5, 305 - 316
- Hamedmoghadam, H.,Jalili, M.,Moradi, P.,Yu, X. (2019). A Global Optimization Approach Based on Opinion Formation in Complex Networks In: IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering, 6, 173 - 187
- Wang, H.,Yu, W.,Ding, Z.,Yu, X. (2019). Tracking Consensus of General Nonlinear Multiagent Systems with External Disturbances under Directed Networks In: IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 64, 4772 - 4779
- Hu, X.,Liu, Z.,Wen, G.,Yu, X.,Li, C. (2019). Branch-wise parallel successive algorithm for online voltage regulation in distribution networks In: IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10, 6678 - 6689
- Tang, C.,Li, X.,Cao, M.,Zhang, Z.,Yu, X. (2019). Incentive Mechanism for Macrotasking Crowdsourcing: A Zero-Determinant Strategy Approach In: IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 6, 8589 - 8601
- Lai, J.,Lu, X.,Yu, X. (2019). Stochastic Distributed Frequency and Load Sharing Control for Microgrids With Communication Delays In: IEEE Systems Journal, 13, 4269 - 4280
- Engineering Evolving Complex Network Systems through Structure Intervention. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2020)
- Exploring Emerging Collective Behaviours in Large-Scale Data-Driven Networked Systems. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2018)
- An integrated and real-time passenger travel and public transport service information system. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant pre-2014 Round 2 from (2013 to 2018)
- Data Mining Complex Transactional and Criminal Networks. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant pre-2014 Round 2 from (2013 to 2015)
- Structure Inference and Adaptive Intervention of Evolving Complex Networks. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2013 from (2013 to 2016)
11 PhD Current Supervisions27 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions