In 2007, Professor Yu led a team of RMIT researchers to establish RMIT’s Platform Technologies Research Institute which became the highest performing research institute at RMIT until it ceased operation in 2015.
Professor Yu is the President of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) for 2018-2019, leading one of the most internationalised technical societies in the IEEE – the world’s largest technical professional organisation.
He was named a Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics/Thomson Reuters in 2015, 2016 and 2017, placing him in the top 1% by citations for field and publication year in Web of Science.
Not only is he an IEEE Fellow, he also holds Fellowship of the Institution of Engineering and Technology UK, Engineers Australia, Australian Computer Society, and the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is also an Engineering Executive and a Chartered Professional Engineering of Engineers Australia.
Professor Yu has worked extensively with industry. He was on the Board of Governors of the Australian Photonics Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) (2003-2006) and on the Science Advisory Committee of the Advanced Manufacturing CRC (2008-2013). He is a Non-Executive Director of Oceania Cyber Security Centre Ltd.
He joined RMIT University in 2002, and was appointed to the position of Associate Dean (Research & Innovation) in the Faculty of Engineering in 2003 which then became the College of Science, Engineering and Technology in 2004, before taking the Institute Directorship in 2008.
Prior to joining RMIT University, Professor Yu was Associate Dean (Research) of the Faculty of Informatics and Communication at Central Queensland University. He also held a Personal Chair in Intelligent Systems.
Professor Yu’s research interests include control systems engineering, complex and intelligent systems, and smart grids. He published over 600 articles in journals, books and conference proceedings. He received a number of awards and honours for his contributions, including the prestigious 2018 M. A. Sargent Medal of Engineers Australia and 2013 Dr-Ing. Eugene Mittelmann Achievement Award of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
For further details about his achievements, work experience, publications and activities, please visit Professor Yu’s personal webpage.
- Nawaratne, R.,Alahakoon, D.,De Silva, D.,Yu, X. (2020). Spatiotemporal anomaly detection using deep learning for real-time video surveillance In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 16, 393 - 402
- Hou, H.,Yu, X.,Xu, L.,Rsetam, K.,Cao, Z. (2020). Finite-time continuous terminal sliding mode control of servo motor systems In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 67, 5647 - 5656
- Qin, J.,Wan, Y.,Yu, X.,Kang, Y. (2020). A Newton Method-Based Distributed Algorithm for Multi-Area Economic Dispatch In: IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 35, 986 - 996
- Lv, Y.,Fu, J.,Wen, G.,Huang, T.,Yu, X. (2020). Distributed Adaptive Observer-Based Control for Output Consensus of Heterogeneous MASs with Input Saturation Constraint In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 67, 995 - 1007
- Wang, P.,Wen, G.,Yu, X.,Yu, W.,Lv, Y. (2020). Consensus Disturbance Rejection for Linear Multiagent Systems with Directed Switching Communication Topologies In: IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, 7, 254 - 265
- Hong, H.,Yu, X.,Yu, W.,Zhang, D.,Wen, G. (2020). Distributed Convex Optimization on State-Dependent Undirected Graphs: Homogeneity Technique In: IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, 7, 42 - 52
- Sun, W.,Guan, J.,Lu, J.,Zheng, Z.,Yu, X.,Chen, S. (2020). Synchronization of the Networked System with Continuous and Impulsive Hybrid Communications In: IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 31, 960 - 971
- Zhang, Y.,Wang, Q.,Hu, C.,Shen, W.,Holmes, G.,Yu, X. (2020). A Nine-Level Inverter for Low-Voltage Applications In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 35, 1659 - 1671
- Moradiamani, A.,Chen, G.,Jalili, M.,Yu, X.,Stone, L. (2020). Distributed Rigidity Recovery in Distance-Based Formations Using Configuration Lattice In: IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, , 1 - 1
- Patel, R.,Meegahapola, L.,Wang, L.,Yu, X.,McGrath, B. (2020). Automatic Generation Control of Multi-area Power System with Network Constraints and Communication Delays In: Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, 8, 454 - 463
- Dynamic Deep Learning for Electricity Demand Forecasting. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2018 from (2020 to 2023)
- Dynamics and Resilience of Complex Network Systems with Switching Topology. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2020 from (2020 to 2022)
- Switching Dynamics Approach for Distributed Global Optimisation. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2020 from (2020 to 2023)
- Engineering Evolving Complex Network Systems through Structure Intervention. Funded by: 010-ARC Discovery Projects 2017 from (2017 to 2020)
- Exploring Emerging Collective Behaviours in Large-Scale Data-Driven Networked Systems. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2018)
12 PhD Current Supervisions27 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions