If you're enrolling into a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) you'll be prompted to submit an Application for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form in the government’s eCAF portal when you enrol. If you're eligible for HECS-HELP, you need to add your validated Tax File Number (TFN) to your HECS-HELP application to access the loan. If you're not eligible, or don’t apply for HECS-HELP, you must pay your fees by the census date or your enrolment will be cancelled.
Full-fee paying students may be eligible to access FEE-HELP and SA-HELP.
Important: You will need to log in to your RMIT student email to complete your loan application via the government eCAF portal.
Read more about be eligibility and how to apply for one of three types of HELP loan:
Before you apply for a loan
- Check your eligibility on the government’s Study Assist website.
- Make sure your citizenship status has been verified by RMIT.
- Read the relevant HELP loan information booklet.
- Have your Tax File Number (TFN) or 'Certificate of application for a TFN' ready to enter on your application.
How to apply for HECS-HELP
If you’ve been offered a Commonwealth supported place, you may be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan to pay your fees. If so, you’ll be prompted in Enrolment Online to complete a Request for a Commonwealth supported place and a HECS-HELP loan form via the government eCAF website.
Have your Tax File Number (TFN) or 'Certificate of application for a TFN' ready to enter on your application.
If you don’t provide a validated TFN by the census date, you can’t access HECS-HELP. You’ll need to pay your fees by the census date or your enrolment will be cancelled.
How to apply for FEE-HELP and SA-HELP
If eligible, you’ll be prompted in Enrolment Online to opt-in or opt-out of a FEE-HELP and/or SA-HELP loan.
If you opt-in, you’ll then need to submit a form via the government eCAF website to complete your loan application.
If you opt-in to FEE-HELP or SA-HELP
- The Department of Education will send an email to your RMIT student email account with the information you need to complete your application.
- Submit your application, with your Tax File Number or 'Certificate of application for a TFN', via the government eCAF website before the census date for classes you want the loan to cover.
Validate your Tax File Number
When your Tax File Number (TFN) is submitted on your eCAF, it's validated with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If your TFN can't be validated with the ATO, your loan will NOT be approved and you'll need to take action to validate your TFN before your census date, or pay your fees to RMIT.