Enrico is Associate Professor of nanotechnology within the School of Science. His research interests include nanomaterials and nanostructured coatings for energy applications.
Enrico is a materials chemist with a specific interest in nanotechnology. Before joining RMIT in 2016 he worked in leading institutions worldwide (University of Padova, UCLA, Stanford, CSIRO) where he acquired a cross-disciplinary experience in chemistry, materials engineering, nanotechnology and energy & sustainability.
He currently leads a research group composed of postdoctoral researchers, PhD students and undergraduate interns. The group’s research interests are mainly in the areas of chemical syntheses of nanoparticles and nanostructured surfaces for applications in optoelectronics, energy and photocatalysis.
In addition to his research activities, Enrico actively teaches chemistry and nanotechnology courses within the School of Science at RMIT.
He has won many competitive research fellowships and grants, and has also won both research and teaching awards throughout his career.
More details on Enrico’s research and expertise, including full publication list, available research projects and updates on the group's activities can be found on his group website, on his Twitter feed, and on Google Scholar.
Research activities and projects
- Metal oxide nanostructures for energy applications such as solar water splitting, solar cells and photodetectors.
- Doping of nano-semiconductors and fabrication of nanocrystal inks for optoelectronics and smart coatings.
- Ultrasonic spray deposition of nanostructured thin-film coatings.
- Wet chemical approaches for the synthesis of novel nanomaterials.
Enrico teaches multiple undergraduate courses, including first year physical and inorganic chemistry, second year aquatic chemistry, and third year nanotechnology courses.
- Chartered member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (MRACI CChem)
- Treasurer and member of the Executives for the Victorian Branch of the RACI
- Member of several scientific associations including the Surface Coatings Association Australia (SCAA), the American Chemical Society (ACS), the Australian Nanotechnology Network (ANN), the Materials Research Society (MRS).
- Reviewer for several chemistry and nanotechnology journals including: Advanced Materials, Energy and Environmental Science, Advanced Functional Materials, JACS, Nano Letters, Angewandte Chemie, Chemistry of Materials, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
- 2011: Ph.D, University of Padova, Italy
- 2007: M.S., University of Padova, Italy
- 2005: B.S., University of Padova, Italy
- 2022-present: Associate Professor, School of Science, RMIT University.
- 2019-2021: Senior Lecturer, School of Science, RMIT University.
- 2017-2021: ARC DECRA Senior Research Fellow, School of Science, RMIT University.
- 2016-2017: Vice Chancellor Fellow, School of Science, RMIT University.
- 2013-2015: Postdoctoral research fellow, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Melbourne.
- 2011-2012: Postdoctoral research fellow, Materials Science and Engineering. University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), USA.
- 2011: Visiting researcher, Materials Science and Engineering, Stanford University, USA.
- 2010: Visiting researcher, School of Chemistry and Bio21 Institute. University of Melbourne, Australia.
- 2009: Visiting researcher, Institute for Chemical Processing & Environmental Technology, Canada National Research Council (NRC), Ottawa, Canada.
- 2008-2011: Graduate student researcher, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Padova, Italy.
- Gangadoo, S.,Xu, C.,Cozzolino, D.,Latham, K.,Della Gaspera, E.,Chapman, J.,Truong, V. (2022). Probing Nanoscale Interactions of Antimicrobial Zinc Oxide Quantum Dots on Bacterial and Fungal Cell Surfaces In: Advanced Materials Interfaces, 9, 1 - 10
- Kim, J.,Kendall, O.,Ren, J.,Murdoch, B.,McConville, C.,van Embden, J.,Della Gaspera, E. (2022). Highly Conductive and Visibly Transparent p-Type CuCrO2 Films by Ultrasonic Spray Pyrolysis In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 14, 11768 - 11778
- Syed, N.,Stacey, A.,Zavabeti, A.,Nguyen, C.,Haas, B.,Koch, C.,Creedon, D.,Della Gaspera, E.,Reineck, P.,Abbas, S.,Russo, S.,Murdoch, B.,McConville, C.,Daeneke, T., et al, . (2022). Large Area Ultrathin InN and Tin Doped InN Nanosheets Featuring 2D Electron Gases In: ACS Nano, 16, 5476 - 5486
- Mendes, J.,Della Gaspera, E.,van Embden, J. (2022). High-Resistance Metal Oxide Window Layers for Optimal Front Contact Interfaces in Sb2Se3 Solar Cells In: Solar RRL, 6, 1 - 9
- Ratnayake, S.,Ren, J.,Murdoch, B.,van Embden, J.,Gomez, D.,McConville, C.,Della Gaspera, E. (2022). Nanostructured Electrodes Based on Two-Dimensional SnO2for Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting In: ACS Applied Energy Materials, 5, 10359 - 10365
- Priscilla, N.,Smith, D.,Della Gaspera, E.,Song, J.,Wesemann, L.,James, T.,Roberts, A. (2022). Optical Janus Effect in Large Area Multilayer Plasmonic Films In: Advanced Photonics Research, 3, 1 - 8
- Shepherd, W.,Melendez Correa, L.,Kendall, O.,Liu, Y.,Murdoch, B.,van Embden, J.,Gomez, D.,Della Gaspera, E. (2022). Investigation of n-type co-doping in barium stannate nanoparticles In: Materials Today Chemistry, 26, 1 - 10
- Farooq, S.,Feeney, T.,De Sousa Mendes, J.,Krishnamurthi, V.,Walia, S.,Della Gaspera, E.,van Embden, J. (2021). High Gain Solution-Processed Carbon-Free BiSI Chalcohalide Thin Film Photodetectors In: Advanced Functional Materials, 31, 1 - 13
- Colusso, E.,Tancon, M.,Cazzola, L.,Della Gaspera, E., et al, . (2021). Solution-processed graphene oxide coatings for enhanced heat transfer during dropwise condensation of steam In: Nano Select, 2, 61 - 71
- Ratnayake, S.,Ren, J.,van Embden, J.,McConville, C.,Della Gaspera, E. (2021). SILAR deposition of bismuth vanadate photoanodes for photoelectrochemical water splitting In: Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 9, 25641 - 25650
12 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions2 PhD Completions
- Scalable atom-thin materials for monolithic electronics and optoelectronics. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects commencing in 2022 from (2022 to 2024)
- New window technologies for residential buildings. Funded by: Innovation Connections grant - Cat 1 from (2022 to 2022)
- Porous transparent conducting oxides for efficient solar fuels production (administered by the University of Sydney). Funded by: ARC Discovery Project via Other University from (2019 to 2021)
- Precisely doped metal oxide nanostructures for thin film optoelectronics. Funded by: 012-ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2017 from (2017 to 2020)