The Food Research and Innovation Centre is a world-class facility that helps Australian businesses develop and market innovative, high value products for the global marketplace.
RMIT is the top provider of high-quality work-ready food technologists in Australia and our research capability is world standard (Excellence in Research Australia 2015).
We have a broad industry network and links with leading research organisations around the world.
Building on these strengths, the $15 million state-of-the-art Food Research & Innovation Centre brings together multidisciplinary research and development capabilities in all areas related to the post-farm gate food value-chain to stimulate innovation and fill the capability gap that are critical for the future success of the Australian food Industry in the global market place.
- It is an is an incubation facility stimulating the development of new high-value food and beverage manufacturing enterprises, and enabling existing food manufacturers, especially SMEs, in becoming more innovative (focus on value-adding), efficient and competitive.
- It provides teaching and research training with the latest technologies, hands-on experience in product development, food safety, quality assurance, nutrition and industry placements.
- It undertakes fundamental , applied and commercial research in partnership with industry.
- It also assists new and existing companies to up-skill their workforce to meet their current and future business needs.
Services for industry
We offer a full range of services for industry that include:
- Idea generation
- Product innovation
- Optimise formulations for cost, quality and ingredient functionality
- Reformulate products
- Development of new ingredient systems
- Designing novel value-added, health-enhancing products/ingredients
- Deliver on concepts, mock-ups and prototypes
- Develop/optimise processing protocols
- Develop and scale-up solutions, ingredient systems of finished products
- Shelf-life testing
- Sensory evaluation and consumer testing
- Packaging design and testing
- Food safety and HACCP
- Nutrition and health benefit evaluation
- Workplace Occupation Health & Safety
- Information & Communication Technologies
Our facilities include:
- food pilot plant
- product development laboratory
- fully-equipped, computerised sensory and consumer testing suite
- food and nutrition research laboratory
- food analysis and characterisation laboratory microbiology laboratory
- temperature controlled rooms
- dry goods storage
- dry and wet preparation areas
We have long standing links with a broad range of industry partners, working with companies including:
- Coca Cola
- Joe White Malting Pty Ltd
- Lion Dairy & Drinks
- Maggie Beer
- Mandurah Australia PTY Ltd
- Manildra Meat Company
- Mondelèz International (formerly Kraft Foods)
- Murray Goulburn
- Bega Cheese and Tatura Milk Industries
- Uncle Bens
- Proportional Foods